X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unk, some noobs from the 6th Devils and why I love TG:Arma

Date: 29/11/2010
    Time: Most of the evening
    Personnel: Unk, Socom, a few other guys I can't remember(sorry) and a bunch of Arma Noobs from the 6th Devils (inc, Wicks, Zaboo, Axis, Donrhos)

Domination was the name of the game gentlemen and as the greenhorn 6th Devils shlepped into main looking more like Bambi on ice skates than professional warriors, the hearts of the Arma regulars must have sank.

The Devils kinda shuffled around awkwardly like spotty teenagers on the first day at High School. “What does this button do?” “Shut up dummy, they will know we are new”. “How do I change my gun?”, “My guy won't pick up this thing”, “What rocket do I need for this”.

The list of questions was endless and they continued to skulk about looking at their boots and kicking dust around the main. “What are we supposed to be doing” “Dude shhh, someone will tell us in a minute, just stand by the crate thing and stare at it, that's what they are doing”.

As we shuffled round the teleport flagpole like hormonal teenagers at a prom, a veteran kindly stepped up and offered help. The relief was palpable and those offering assistance were immediately overwhelmed with questions and pleas for help.

Soon we were in a position to begin our combat awakening, missions were on the table and everyone was hungry, if so poorly trained that they would be figuratively eating with their hands as it were, such was the paucity of their combined experience. No matter, troops were troops and everybody had a first mission once.

The order of missions somewhat escapes me now as I lay recuperating, however I distinctly remember crashing at least twice in helos, on landing and take off. I have painful memories of being blasted out of a door gunner position by a seemingly innocuous looking APC, “surely not looking this way, we're out of range, aren't we? OH GOD!”.

Yes the alarming sound of airframes being punctured by incoming rounds, the warning sounds of engine failure, these soon became constant companions as we met fierce resistance from our AI opponents and our more experienced leaders struggled 'herding the cats' that were their squad.

Eventually things improved, thanks in part to the help and leadership of veterans like Unkl.
    As confidence grew a new warning order came down the pipeline and we were off, sprinting to the airfield once more. This time our ride in was less eventful, our course carefully plotted, we inserted without much incident. Well, not entirely without incident. Demonstrating our now Elite Operator status Donrhos piped up in the back of the helo with an excited whoop “I've figured out how to move the map!”. Yes, selection for Delta should be a cinch now.

We were to destroy some apc's and kill some bad guys. This was done. In fact it was not too sloppy at all come to think of it. We even managed to get home in one piece. After that the taskings came thick and fast, we had become the Higher Up's go to guys (only ones available) and our operational tempo became relentless. We weren't just killing these fools, we were stealing there stuff to.

There were of course. occasional slip ups.

- Me carefully lining up an AT4 shot and then firing it into the ground 25 feet in front of me

- Axis carefully lining up an AT shot, then announcing he had brought the launcher but not the rocket

- Zaboo on point in a column formation. “Oh no, run, I've thrown a grenade” BANG, “medic”, “medic”, “somebody help”

- Our long suffering pilot, who after negotiating a hairy infiltration and about to set us down, was told to move forward from the LZ just a few metres, he promptly did and the helo flipped nose first and killed all occupants

All in all a fantastic nights gaming. Massive thanks to Socom, Unk and all those who helped me and my buds from the 6th.

As ever the welcome we received was a great credit to the TG:Arma crew.

We will be back in numbers, we will do better lol. I know we will enjoy it.

Unk, you have the patience of a saint, I hope we gave you a few chuckles along the way, thanks bud.

Re: Unk, some noobs from the 6th Devils and why I love TG:Arma

lolol this is a very entertaining read. 6th devils are one of the oldest IHS from BF2 days... I remember these unruly gangsters. Once polished they are one hell of a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

LOL.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to A.WICKENS again.
      Best laugh I have had in ages Wicks, thanks mate. Glad you brought the lads over, epic times ahead. But sounds just like a normal day in PR for you lot too! Particularly Donhros! ;)

Excellent times!

Comment

Dang that's some funny stuff.

That game was a blast too. Thanks Wicks & I had a great monday afternoon. I remember my first day in the server...doing a stealth insert with Jacezz in the lead...some guy came running up beside us & didn't have the green diamond on him....well I'm panicking & can't believe I can put the sights on him at 10 fps...I'm gonna save the squad....but no, my first kill is TK & no respawn, no JIP.

Then I was flailing around changing fire modes & then someone said "Hey did you just throw a grenade?"...I said, "No..." & BAM....we blowed up real good.

I can't believe that convoy went straight east on us off road....10 feet from mines that would signal our perfect ambush. Thanks for all your patience with me too & really enjoyed the sense of humour you guys brought to the game.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Oh god. Wicks is here. :D I look forward to getting in a round or two with you 6th guys. And despite the popular belief, I am a good pilot. Jus. Ignore the dead bodies that always seem to appear in my bird.

That's how you can tell who is flying btw. If you see dead bodies, I'm flying and you have nothing to worry about! ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Do your instrument panels always make incessant beeping and chirping noises by any chance? =P

Comment

Originally posted by OzyTheSage View Post
              Do your instrument panels always make incessant beeping and chirping noises by any chance? =P
              I see you have flown with me before :) If I could figure out what that dang beeping is I would turn it off.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

That was by far the best AAR I have read I in a long time!! Fantastic read and it is good to see you guys in the game, happy hunting as that is only Domi, wait till you get ahold of a themed mission that our skilled mission makers create!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Fun AAR Wickens :), I hope to meet those guys in the server soon.
                  sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Wicks, great read! I needed the laugh, and thanks for leaving me with the colic-ee infant known as "the Project Reality community" for the night. I'm angry now.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

As long as we're telling "first" stories, my almost first time in the game we were being assigned equipment for a mission and I had a lot of the same questions as the 6th. I was asked to pick up a couple of satchel charges which I did and inadvertently armed them on the weapons crate. Once the smoke cleared, I had managed to kill every single member on the server (I think it took about six months before I would show my face again). I wish I had screen shots to share, it was a night mission and the residual fires and scattered bodies haunt me still.
                      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

That was a fun read! And a fun game!
                        More fun than PR actually (possible blasphemy)
                        I manage to kill an APC with a javelin atleast! :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X