Arma Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma Rig

Well as the tittle says, been hunting down a good rig that will destroy Arma and the PR mod that is coming out. I have no qualms about building my own rig, but have been looking at DigitalStorm.com. Im wondering if anyone has had any business with them. The rig is for my graduation present so I dont really have a price limit (actually needs to be under 2600) but me being me has come up with my "base rig" that needs to be tweaked.

I would post this in the Hardware Section but I want to some Arma Community feedback first before i make the transition to the Hardware forum.

Soooo, what have I picked out so far..... Heres the list. What Im asking is I need to trim some fat off it, but really do not know where to start and any help and explanation would help. I am gaming on a 32" Vizio Plasma right now, but might switch to an LCD version...but all depends on the rig, I cant be tooo greedy can I??? :)

Ticket Number: 473769
    Total Price with Instant Savings: $7,690.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/co....asp?id=473769

Specifications:
    Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair 700D
    Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
    Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
    Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767)
    System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
    Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
    Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
    Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
    Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
    Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
    Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
    Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
    Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
    Internet Access: Killer 2100 (Maximum Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction
    Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (PhysX) (EVGA Black Ops 015-P3-1583-AR)
    Add-on Card: - No Thanks
    Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD 7.1 (24-bit 192KHz) (Model: AZTHTHD02817) (PCI-Express Slot)
    Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset
    H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
    Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans)
    Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
    Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
    Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
    Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
    Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.6GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
    Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
    Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
    Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
    Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
    Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
    Virus Protection: - No Thanks
    Office: - No Thanks
    Benchmarking: - No Thanks
    Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
    Display: - No Thanks
    Surge Shield: - No Thanks
    Speakers: - No Thanks
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming USB Desktop (Multimedia Keyboard)
    Mouse: Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse (Model: CCB437080002/04/1)
    External Storage: - No Thanks
    Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
    Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
    Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
    Last edited by Jack Bauer; 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM. Reason: speeling

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: Arma Rig

Trim the fat from $7700 to $2600? That's a lot of trimming brah, better bring a chainsaw.

Get them to give you a gift certificate to newegg or tiger direct and build yourself, you'll come out ahead no matter how good a deal looks from a company building it for ye.

I'd kill for a new build with a $2600 budget.

Comment

Very true.... I guess what im looking for is component advice and the fact of using a pre built system vs building one myself....greasing the chainsaw now. :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Most of that stuff is pretty overkill and wont see much use in arma or any other game tbh.
        Starting with the Mobo whatever one of the less expensive X58s Gigabyte or ASUS makes is good choice.
        something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131658

Processor is way overkill, as from what I've heard arma doesnt really utilize all six cores, and being that its brand new tech its absurdly expensive. The i7 950 is probably the best value in the 1366 line.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115211

Memory, once again 12GB is waaay overkill, 4 or 6 GB is plenty. I use G.Skill, damn cheap and hasn't failed me yet.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231225

PSU, 650-750w should be plenty for 1 Video Card, maybe bump it up to 800-900w for 2. I currently have an OCZ, but many ive talked to swear by Corsair PSUs.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1&name=Corsair

As far as HDDs, I can't really attest to their effect in ArmA, but the one ive seen recommended most is the OCZ Vertex 2 series. Id imagine all you would want room for is probably ArmA II + Mods and your OS, so one 90-120GB SSD should be more than enough. 1TB drives are fairly cheap now, and that should cover all the rest of your games/music/movies/naughty pictures etc...
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227611
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136284

Video Cards im a bit out of date on, from what i understand nVidia holds the performance edge on ATi, but ATi still has some cards that beat out nVidia for price/performance ratios. I also have found that in the past nVidia cards seem to be a little less buggy than ATi, but that could have changed. This should be a pretty good reference for you to use: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rade,2803.html

Personally im not a fan of SLI/Crossfire, I don't really see the point in paying 200% of the price if you arent getting 200% of the performance (especially ArmA). Plus i suspect even some of the lower priced cards in dual setups probably have their value diminished by having to buy a more powerful PSU.

As well I see water cooling as sort of a "hey what more can i throw money at in my computer" bling feature that really serves no purpose. I use headphones so the noise of my fans never bothered me, and with a decent CPU heatsink you can still achieve some impressive overclocks if thats your thing.

As far as peripherals go, for keyboard I'd use whatever you are using now, the whole backlight/extra buttons/LCD screen that some of the keyboards out there feature probably get gimmicky after a while.

For a mouse the Logitech MX 518 is legend, probably why they've been making it for like 7 years. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ech%20MX%20518
        Now that extra money can go towards something like a TrackIR or some such.

Theres a lot of choices out there for cases, youll just have to do some research. For mid-price-range, Coolermaster Storm and HAF series of cases, Antec Nine Hundred and Twelve Hundred, Thermaltake V9 are some that come to mind. For high end, Lian-Li's are pretty simple design but excellent construction from what I hear. I believe Impulse has some experience with them.

Heres a quick list i made on newegg, and at about $1000 under budget.
        https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=10789789

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

Fantastic reply...... Exactly the info I was looking for!!! Thanks man :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

A couple things on that list, wasnt paying attention and I put a micro-ATX mobo on there, with the higher end gfx cards and that case a full ATX motherboard would probably be better for the extra space. Also with the SSD its important to remember if your ArmA 2 was bought over steam i don't believe that you can install steam games to different directories, so the SSD would have to support your entire game collection on steam.

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

are you sold on the intel cpu? i have found that comparable AMD chips are about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost. of course then you would need a different mobo too.

from newegg:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115223
              Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980X
              $1,049.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103913
              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBR BOX
              $265.99

thats quite a price difference. maybe someone can explain the performance difference, but it seems pretty comparable to me.

Comment

The reason why i was going with intel is the amount of OC'n that can be applied and thus the cooling system I choose. Though price wise I am game for whatever is cheaper and will last me several years.

@Pie: thanks for that info on Steam, I don't have quite the collection that most do, but the games I do have take up space (looking at you Arma). :)

I was told about or should I say heard that sli/crossfire is useful in higher res monitors along with bigger monitors thus why the two cards but also like Pie said, sometimes isn't worth the extra (double) money.

My goal is to be able to run and take fraps in the highest resolution possible along with the longevity of only having to potentially replace one or two parts as time goes on...

Again thanks to those who have replied you have shed great light on this build for me. :)

Comment

Hi Guys,

here are the main components of my rig. It runs Arma 2 with everything high except AA on/ HDR Normal / PP Normal and viewdistance on 2500 / Resolution 1920x1080
                  Benchmark 1 Chernarus average FPS 47
                  Benchmark Takistan average FPS 51
                  Win7 Prof 64bit
                  i7 920 oc to 3.5Ghz
                  6GB Kingston Triple DDR3 1600
                  OCZ 64 GB SSD
                  HD5850 1GB

I noticed that massive performance gains after installing the SSD and overclocking the pc! Hope my 2 cents also gives you something to go on

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Ramp for the post, your specs really help me out....

Is it dumb of me to want to extend my view distance all the way to max?

Comment

I ran my view distance at 10k or whatever the max is for a while and I don't think I noticed much difference when turning it down to 4 or 5k. I don't spend much time flying, but I could see the increased view distance helping out there.

Do we have a thread in the Arma forum for people to list their system specs? I always thought it might be a good idea so people with similar hardware could compare performance and help each other out.

Comment

Might want to wait till after the 5th and look at what the new Sandy Bridge chips are going to bring out in performance/OC capablities.
                        The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Imp you make a great point about that as well....

Comment

Ive gotten half the parts for a rig im making to primarily run flight sims and arma2
                            When its done

i7 quad core 950 bloomfield 3.06ghz
                            6 GB corsaid 1600mhz triple chan ram (upgrading too 24GB gradually)
                            EVGA GTX 570 1.25GB superclocked GPU (second card in a few months)
                            Corsair 750W modular PSU
                            1.5TB western Digital HDD
                            120GB SSD (cant remember name)
                            Corsair Hydro something something liquid CPU cooler
                            Giant case I can fit half my 200lb body into
                            Cant remember mother board type/name.
                            What am i forgetting....hmm......i dunno its 06:43 and im at work so probably alot.

All that is coming too under €2000 .
                            You could defo trim some fat off of yours!
                            Nihility

Comment

Soup thanks for you specs....the rig I am among for is in line with what you want to run, I want to get into some racing sim games and flight sim as well as kick the he'll out of Arma....thanks for the post!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X