Digital Download VS Retail Disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Download VS Retail Disk

I need to get a copy of Operation Arrowhead so I can play PR:Arma2 when it comes out. I found a copy of Combined Ops for $12.50 on Amazon but it's a Digital Download. Is there a hassle with the Digital Download like there is with the Steam version or is it basically the same as the Retail DVD? I have a copy of Arma2 from Steam and it was always a pain with patches and mods so I don't want to make the same mistake again.

http://www.amazon.com/ArmA2-Combined...8MEV2JVJZSC090
    Hurtz sigpic

Re: Digital Download VS Retail Disk

Digital download from Amazon is just like retail disk but you just download it.
    sigpic
    Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Comment

yar, as niko said. you download the installer and it installs the game like the disk.

Comment

OK thanks guys. The GF picked me up a TrackIR for xmas and I'm dying to try it out in Arma.
        Hurtz sigpic

Comment

I enjoy Download inside steam..makes it less worrysome to format HDD wondering if i lost any CDs or keys..if its available on steam i buy it there

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
          The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Non-steam digital downloads are my preferred method purchasing games for the PC. No disk and no hassle. Kind of a win-win. All the digital downloads from direct2drive, sproket games, etc....have all the benefits(additional downloads, Key listing, etc) of steam without any additional software or hassle.
            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Normally I am a huge Steam supporter, but it's integration with how it updates the content, and treating each game as a separate game, really causes alot more headaches for the Steam users of ArmA. Typical patches are delayed anywhere from 4 to 72 hrs. And instead of being a 200-300mb patch they end up turning into a 2.5gb download on average. Simply, ArmA integration with Steam has been painful for a whole number of reasons. If you already have ArmA2 on steam and you pick up Arrowhead... you can install it to the same directory... and vise versa. But when dealing with two copies from steam, you need to resort to extended modlines, and or creating your own symbolic links to get the games to run in the "Combined Operations" mode. And then when making custom modlines ontop of that already extended process that Steam added, it can be daunting for some users.
              The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

I'm going to scrap the original Steam version I bought. I can get CO Digital Download for $12 and avoid the hassels.

Update:
                I just tried to download from the amazon site and it's for US customers only. Anyone know of another online retailer that is offering a discount for other countries? (Canada)

Update:
                Forget it ... just downloaded from Sprocket. $22 US. Still 50% off.
                Last edited by Hurtz; 01-01-2011, 04:27 PM.
                Hurtz sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X