X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M113 Gavin APCs

M113 Gavin Varients...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcTWacVuqf8
    -read all the info in the video description. Some good stuff.

Recently I did some reading on the M113 Gavin and the former plans, years ago, to make it and its variants the primary APC used by the US Army.

I think politics got in the way again. We ended up with the Bradley instead. You could buy something like five Gavin's to one Bradley, they were lighter, faster, could be armed with all the same weapons, and even hold more troops in its various configurations. Overall, I'm thinking they should have went with the M113s and work/develop that platform. Especially if they cost like 1/5 as much.

What say you? Anyone ever read about them?
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Re: M113 Gavin APCs

Haven't red anything about them, watching the link now.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I'd compare the gavin more to a Stryker APC than a Bradley. The M113 chasis offers terrible small arms support and if the indication of its use in BF2 PR it stands no chance against anything.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/m113-iav.htm

Comment

The Armor on the Gavin is not tough. In the Vietnam war, soldiers rode on top of the Gavin because if it rolled over the mine, everyone inside would die. A Gavin can survive up to a 7.62 round, anything else will tear right through it. On the other hand, the Bradley can sustain up to a 30mm round such as those found on the BMP. This means that in APC vs APC combat, the Bradley could survive. However, the Gavin is still a great vehicle to have because of its versatility. I think the Army should have upgraded the Gavin and only ordered a small quantity of Bradleys for mechanized only units. However, standard army units should have the Gavin as its far better suited for their use.
        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Excuse me, but wasn't "Gavin" made up by some guy who had an unearthly hate for wheeled vehicles?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X