Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma 2 OA Helicopter control

Hey guys!

Just a quick question for the arma community. What are your control (keyboard/mouse or controller) you are using for flying the choppers.

im using W-S for throttle, the mouse for up down and turns, A-D for banking left and right and finally Z-X for the pedals. Its alright but it feels strange sometimes and cannot do all the maneuver i wish i could do , so i am asking around to see if there is a better way to fly it.

Thanks!
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Re: Arma 2 OA Helicopter control

I'm using default keyboard keys. Q-Z throttle, arrow keys for turning (up-down, left-right etc.) and X-C for pedals. I can do most of the manouvers and If I can't do something it's not the problem with the keys, it's in me :)
    sigpic
    Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Comment

I primarily use a Saitek X52, works wonders with a bit of tweaking.

The keys for that are... Complicated... being that there are a tonne of them on the whole thing.

From time to time though I just plug up an Xbox 360 pad and run with that. It obviously isn't designed for flight, but it works well enough to pilot efficiently with some practice.

Use front bumpers for rudder control, right stick y axis for throttle, click to lock target, left stick for nosing up/down and banking left/right. Firing weapons is A, cycling weapons is B, gear up/down is X and Y handles GPS. Start I think is Auto Hover, don't use it much tbh. Had difficulty getting VON and TS to run with it, although VON works ok set to a button on last try. Oh - view zooming is the back left trigger. Very handy.

With the 360 control I use mouse to freelook, X52 has a nice little er.. hat thing that handles it.

Comment

I fly with an old joystick (Though occasionally I'll use the mouse for hovering to pick up an MHQ, etc)

I have my throttle re-mapped using GlovePIE due to the way ARMA handles the throttle inputs, so I also have to sometimes tap the Z key.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

Logitech extreme 3d joystick here. No compatability issues at all
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

W- nose down for forward movement
            S- nose up to slowdown forward movement
            Q - accellerate
            Z - deaccellerate
            A -left bank
            D - right bank
            scroll mouse to auto hoover on or off
            mouse up - nose up
            mouse down - nose down
            pray and sweat while in air

P.S. I also have trackIR 4 running for both groundpounder and pilot slots.

Comment

Joystiq for main rotor tilt. w and s for power up and down, and finaly a and d for tail rotor rotation.

Comment

As a helpful hint you can, like I did, go into mission editor and create a mission at the airfield with all available helo's to do your practicing there to develop your piloting skills.

Comment

Hey thanks everybody i didnt expect that much help!
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, this is TG! What did you expect?
                    That we would call you a noob for using mouse and keyboard? :D
                    sigpic
                    Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Comment

Also, watch out for those power lines when practicing NOE flying.

You'll also notice that the altimeter isn't always correct.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

hehe :)

i actually find it very precise (mouse) and natural. My problem is more the coordination between banking and using the pedal, which would allow me (with a bit of pratice) to do very precise landing in tight landing zone :D Right now i can do basic maneuvers but nothing fancy (like a can do in PR), and i like to show off alot haha

i will try my 360 game pad tonite , just to get the feel of it , i also found my good old logitech stick:)
                        sigpic

Comment

I use mouse for fine adjustments and most of my flying, and keyboard for coarse movements and rudder. F/V is thrust up/down (which mimics my stance-change keys), X/C are rudder, and typical WASD for pitch/bank.

If you'd like a mission to help practice your flight, I've put one up on the BIS forums that should prove interesting. You can find it here if so.

Video of it follows. :)

Comment

Thats just showing off... lol.

Comment

Dslyecxi, I love that training scenario, it taught me so many new manouvers I could use and it's fun to watch how real pro does it. :)
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X