• Show
Clear All

• Ghost Recon

Perhaps?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/08/ar...mod-war-movie/

Re: Ghost Recon

Could be fun! My interest is peaked :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Amazing!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Those vids, I’m sure you will agree, show excellent team play. They are not using radio simulation with stupid call signs and military zip words. I know a lot like doing it and that is fine…have your events but I won’t join you and there are probably others that feel the same. Really some of it is almost too funny for words. I want to play like these people without the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot crap. So can we have some events, maybe this one, without that please?

Comment

Umm ts is not an event, it was a video depicting missions that were made, as for your comment about call signs.....like you said your opinion, but if you read the post, this upcoming event is a milsim event! Not all are like this, but this one we are striving for a milsim atmosphere, so like you said, do not attend if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by ZAP44 View Post
            Those vids, I'm sure you will agree, show excellent team play. They are not using radio simulation with stupid call signs and military zip words. I know a lot like doing it and that is fine, have your events but I won't join you and there are probably others that feel the same. Really some of it is almost too funny for words. I want to play like these people without the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot crap. So can we have some events, maybe this one, without that please?
            Sorry you feel that way. But radio callsigns are a must. They help commanders keep track of where everyone is and allow easier identification of units. But, too each his own. TG ArmA has never had an event like this so it is something we are trying to do. As for our other events with the "Whiskey Tago Foxtrot crap" thats just how we play.

I do find it amusing that you make light of our radio procedures and raise the video as the way to play while in the video they have more radio cross talk than we do. Not to mention the group leader is micromanaging every aspect of the scenario. "We are walking forward crouching pace...ok...on line....now we are walking again. I'm picking my nose, ok......its gone.......we are moving again." But again, to each his own.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I liked the videos and as Zap says they do show good teamwork. I too am not a big fan of the very formal radio talk, but since the majority like it and want it I accept it. To be honest I would be happy to see a less formal event held as callsigns are a bit overwhelming for someone who has just started playing the game and does not really have any military knowledge whatsoever.
              - - -

Comment

Originally posted by WarFairy View Post
                I liked the videos and as Zap says they do show good teamwork. I too am not a big fan of the very formal radio talk, but since the majority like it and want it I accept it. To be honest I would be happy to see a less formal event held as callsigns are a bit overwhelming for someone who has just started playing the game and does not really have any military knowledge whatsoever.
                I completely understand. We try not to go over the top with it, and usually only the FTL's or SL's need to worry about callsigns. However, we are going to be more TGU classes and one of the things we are going to cover is radio operations. We aren't sticklers on it, but its more of an FYI portion. Giving you the ins and outs of why we do somethings a certain way.

But there are alot of our players that have no military training whatsoever. The main culprits of callsigns and the like are prior and current military (guilty). I like using what I know. Which is why everyone is Bayonet when I CO. It was my infantry company when I was a platoon medic back in the day....like 3 years ago lol.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Before this thread gets out of hand with any hate posts and the like, I'd just like to add the following viewpoint : ARMA is a world big enough to handle both styles of gameplay. There are pros and cons to both, and not everyone will agree - come on, we ARE human after all... :-P

I have played a number of good sessions with ZAP and consider him a very able buddy on the field, who is also relaxed and approachable to chat to. It works. To flip the coin, I was also in the MSO, and will also be in Friday's event, so I see the added immersion and benefits of the callsigns and milsim radio.

At the end of the day, both ARMA and TG are big enough to deal with both styles. As before, you'll have the for and against crowds, but lets remember that its the game that brings us together. Let's not make it something that divides us. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and we shouldn't hold that against them, so it should be a given on the forum that we consider how the other side sees it before we go guns blazing in against an idea. Its an open forum and everyone has a voice - I'm sure Dredge and co will agree on that. Maybe its worth polling this to see for, against and who cares? I don't know.

sigpic
                  D E A T H
                  IT'S OUR LIFE

Comment

Exactly Jaycius. We strive for many things here at TG. Proper 100% realistic radio communications all the time are not one of them. Sometimes we aim high, for example Friday's event. Generally speaking we aim for pseudo-realism on our servers. No one is going to fault you for improperly communicating. We might correct each other on something along the way, but it is only for the love of the game and to keep the situation under control. There is a time and a place for proper 100% radio communication. There is also a time and a place for more "gamey" style of communication (see, Project Reality).

This community in general (see, ACRE polls, etc..) might lean toward a more pseudo-realistic simulation so far as communication goes, but that does not mean we have to exclude ANYONE from the game. I'd like to think we are not elitists or snobs when it comes to that. In part with what Dredge was saying, we teach through TGU proper radio communication, but that is only as a general instruction method as to understanding the merits of radio communication. Mainly, though, leadership are the ones that need to use the radios. As we've seen in ACRE, grunts sometimes either only have access to their squad net, or don't have radios at all. As a general tool though, it is important to understand what one is saying over the net which is why we teach it this way.

tl:dr - TG Arma is for everyone, realistic radio comms or not.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Honestly I dislike using full proper callsigns and prefer just 'alpha/bravo/command/weapons etc' for the most part ( air transport sorta needs em). But as an occaisonal CO if I don't have a proper name for a team that's short and easy to hear over a dodgy Von my ability to communicate and keep tabs on that group is extremely difficult, similarly if I don't know you / your voice or what weapon you are carrying / squad you're in ( I'm not a fan of writing it all down pre op) if you address me over von what could be a 2 transmissions request for medic turns into a 4 or more whilst i discern who you are / what you are doing, etc.

This isn't an issue in a small team, but in ye days of ol' leading a platoon of 30-40 or more guys it was just too stressful to command without these titles and procedures which make my job ( as CO ) a lot easier. I say all the time though - it's just a game, so mess-ups or lack of in depth knowledge I personally don't mind at all, as long as you try I'm happy, I mess-up a lot myself ;p

I do also like to just chill out and keep it informal and relaxed on occasion, without the callsigns etc - but that's usually when playing a co10, quiet domi or somesuch with only one group to work with

Besides, if done right, they're pretty fun imo ;p (then again I do have a semi childish ooo that looks fun outlook on most things.)

Comment

Exactly Acog. I'm on my phone so responses are limited to a sentence ot two.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

This is a milsim game and thats how we roll for events . The radio procedures ,callsigns and such are a clear concise means of completing the mission. For me teamwork and completing the mission is what this game is all about, I don't know my kill score, couldn't care less, but thats just me. When there are a few of us playing in a nightly game it's usually pretty loose and free flowing and thats fine with me also.

Comment

Dredge I have taken part in two TGU classes and I liked them a lot. I understand how that style of comms can be efficient (well if it wasn't I suppose it would not be used by the military, would it?) and needed.

I also think that this thread is starting to be about something else than the original post. In my opinion what was said was that it would be nice to see some less formal events hosted as well as the more realsitic ones. There really is no need to argue over something like that.

We play to enjoy ourselves and the way we play is totally up on us. Nobody said that one style is better than the other. That is totally subjective.
                            - - -

Comment

I agree. Zap, you can have your thread back lol. But yes. A ghost recon style mission/event could be fun. Maybe a large event with several smaller teams working independently to accomplish several goals. Could even make a tvt out of it too! :).

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X