Communications Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communications Discussion

So we all found out the hard way that we have some comms issues. Now this being the largest event in a while and the fact that we have a crap ton of new players its to be expected. for the time being we are stuck with von and ts. So with that in mind I'm asking as a mission maker to the community what do you think we need to improve the situation.

One of the major problems we had on the event was knowing who was who. This is probable the most easily fixed. If you are in any kind of leadership role what so ever; squad leader, platoon leader, vehicle commander ect, you should wright down everyone's name and callsign on a notepad or somesuch for easy reference. As for some one who's not in these roles ie grunts, at a minimum you should know your own group's callsign. Your leader will die and sometimes your going to have to step up, so knowing who you are is a good idea.

There is also somethings I think can help on a mission makers side. first off proper usage of the rank features in your squads. Make you squad leaders the highest rank, your fire-team leaders below them, and everyone else as private. That way if you sl buys it your fire-team leaders can expect to inherit the command channel instead of some random member of the squad. As ftl they should be the ones to step up with the sl buys it.

Vehicles are a different matter. Now for vehicles that actually have a commander position its a no brainer. He should be the highest rank member of that vehicle group. Ground vehicles with no commander should really fall to the gunner. He usually as a better view around the vehicle, and is usually going to be the one to call out movements that allow him to better engage targets. Making him the leader of the group would be the better option in my opinion.

Two seater offensive aircraft work much in the same as two person ground vehicles, the gunner generally has a better view of the area around the aircraft and by making the gunner the leader and giving him access the the command net, it frees the pilot up to fly the plane.

Transport aircraft really don't work in the same way, they usually have more than one gunner so he doesn't have the same advantges as in offensive aircraft. Also because of the nature of transport aircraft in and out of lzs, having them in command net reduces time lag for orders.

Lastly any group that is going to need to talk inside the group on a regular basis really needs its on channel in ts. There is so much chatter that is going on that is important, that using von in these cases is a bad ides. Now we usually put infantry squads in there own channel, but any sort of vehicle with more than one person is also going to need this. tanks, apcs, cas aircraft ect.

Re: Communications Discussion

Part of the problem we had last night was ACOG forgot to make a call sign list for everyone to print out before the event. Before I go willy nilly into this topic at a later time/date when I have the time to sit down and put my thoughts on paper, I just have one quick thing to say. Squad Leads, Fire Team Leads, Medics, and Vehicle Crews MUST have a list of the call-signs/group leaders written down, no matter if it's a milsim mission or just a regular mission. I keep a little note pad on my desk for exactly that.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Acog did have a list of call sighns listed in the briefing. How many read the briefing? How many know how to read a briefing and take note of important facts pertaining to their possible role during the mission?

Comment

the callsigns were all in the briefing, it was easy to just open it and see, infact I did this a couple of times

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

same here. but i definitely keep a pad of large post-it pad next to my keyboard... so i can stick them on my screen for quick references
          sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Even the old guy read the briefing. I am sure things will settle out as we do more of these, after all its been awhile since we have a large exercise like this.

Comment

This is an event I think would have benefitted majorly from ACRE, most times I skimped on announcing rtb time etc or properly establishing comms because every two secs the infantry would be talking about stuff totally not pertaining to me at all but still important within themselves, having the assets, logistics and say, Bayonet mike, on a certain frequency and the infantry / strykers plus possibly CAS as they were up there with them most of them time on another would have done wonders for comms in my opinion.

Comment

We need to try ACRE again and I am more then willing to help anyway I can in testing it here.

Comment

ACRE is up next on our list guys. I promise you that ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I was thinking last night while I was playing that with ACRE it could have been better. Admittedly ACRE has its faults (no where near as many as it did when it first came about mind you) but I do think it has its advantages that might be worth looking into.
                    The only downside I can see is its a bit complex to set up to start with and there's no real super long radio radio so people have to fall back to VON or TS to communicate over extremely long distances.

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dredge again.

Good to hear VON broke down for me a several of times during the event also it adds so much immersion, I for one am willing to help people get set up with ACRE once it we adopt here for testing again!

Also about the range of radios etc we used to have helicopters being somewhere in the middle of CO and the elements in the field relaying messages iirc so it was not that much need of falling to VON i think we even banned VON usage last time just 100% ACRE and we managed to maintain comms most of the time except when TS crashed.
                      Spartan 10

Comment

Is it stable yet? If no then no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
                          Is it stable yet? If no then no thanks.
                          The latest version is stable enough that it does not crash TS.

Comment

In the ACRE poll thread there were some issues that were pointed out to us by the Devs that will prevent us from adding ACRE in the short term (read: before TS updates their sound engine sometime within the next month) relating to stability and ease of setup. Realistically it looks like we will add ACRE, but when is the issue at hand. In the past we've strived for stability over content, and that continues to be the status quo.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Jaynus's post from the other thread:

Originally posted by jaynus View Post
                              Just to address a few things - and as I'm sure you know, don't really care about the swing of things either way ;)

1. We have had pre-release access (both beta and before that, closed beta private builds) of the new TS3 system for ~6 months now. This has been my main focus. The 1.1.1 was really just a 'small fix' push for ACRE - most of my time has been spent on 1.2 (new TS engine) for a long time now.

2. The TS3 dev's have actively worked with us, both in private and public, specifically to iron out all issues we have so far encountered. We currently have one (1) outstanding bug with the TS3 dev's which has not been fixed yet (out of ~30 over the past 6 months). This bug is....squawks are not spatialized when you spatialize a radio (e.g. squawks in both ears regardless). This is addressing the "catch-up" game. There really isn't one anymore. We get pre-release closed tests. The only lag will be auto-update lag on API changes when they happen (approximately 2 minutes for us to fix, depending on my upload speeds that day).

3. 1.1.1 is a pile of crap; straight up. We hit the upper limits of their old sound engine (as they did too, obviously). Our 1.2 push gave me an opportunity to completely redesign a large amount of sub-systems - mainly due to my access with the TS3 dev team; I was able to request API/implementation changes that better suited my model. And they actually implemented it. A large amount of the changes in this sound engine are specifically at the request of ACRE.

4. If your wondering how we have such exclusive access to them - you'll see an announcement tomorrow about why :)

5. 1.2.5 is our current stable release push. We are currently on 1.2.2 (with RC's currently in the works for 1.2.3). Between 1.2.2 and 1.2.5, we are doing strictly stability bug fixes and feature re-integration (no new feature introduction). This means we are simply re-testing and re-applying features from 1.1.1 back into the 1.2 branch line.

6. If TG chose - 1.2.5 is going to be our stable release in approximately 2-4 weeks. Additionally, once TS3 goes public with 3.0 (quote: "sometime in Q1 of 2011"), we are going to begin a ACE-style release push - with STABLE/RC releases as well as internal test builds.

7. As noted above and correctly by imp, it *does* require a new "beta" version of TS3. IMO, from a developer and (obviously) heavy user standpoint, its better than b36. But that's just my opinion, and running multiple teamspeaks *is* a pain. However, I think our installers have greatly improved and developed also since 1.1.1.

Now Also - just to address some of the misconceptions from users of the early releases ( < 1.1) and from a2ts (not my damn code).
                              1. There is no such thing as high player count issues. UO can attest to this. It does not exist. Period. (1.1 and 1.2)
                              2. There is no such thing as "lag" issues. ACRE even works when your server is falling over. (1.1 and 1.2)
                              3. 1.1 has hangs requiring special shortcuts to alliviate (1.1 only, fixed in 1.2)
                              4. There is no "you cant hear people" or "Things fall over bugs". This crap hasn't happened in ~6-9 months.
                              5. Again, forget a2ts. That isn't our code. We've ironed out all the issues. A lot of our performance fixes also fixed other features you are very familiar with in ACE (missile guidance, tows, etc)

So, just in conclusion (from a ACRE Dev standpoint for you) here's pro's and cons on all your current choices (IMO):

-- With ACRE 1.2.x --
                              Pros:
                              - Most stable version of ACRE to date (no crashes, no hangs for all but 1 player, out of > 100 at our place).
                              - Utilizes new engine rewrite - more responsive and comprehensive
                              - Current supported version
                              - Better quality (performance and sounding) audio processing filters
                              - Currently on a stabilization release cycle. No new features - only bug fixes and stabilization
                              Cons:
                              - Requires TS3 beta. Either a separate install, or an upgrade to the new version (Our installer provides a stand-alone build, or you have to edit files in the TeamSpeak 3 folder)
                              - In active development. This includes weekly releases of current new bug-fix sets
                              - We have not yet reached a STABLE build. 1.2.2 is pretty stable (cic 1 person crashes out of > 100), but it has not been around long enough to be re-tagged as full stable release build. Stability between 1.2.3 - 1.2.5 will be sporadic, until 1.2.5 (STABLE) release.
                              - Non-official release. Currently only used by our tester/heavy user communities. We have not pushed it to main public (BIF)

-- With ACRE 1.1.1 --
                              Pros:
                              - Public latest release of ACRE, used widely by many communities
                              - Supports current latest public of TS3 (b36)
                              - Near-matching feature set to 1.2
                              Cons:
                              - Known crashes and hangs. Requires custom "Set Affinity" shortcut to stabilize.
                              - Lower quality audio processing
                              - Unsupported and about to go EOL (end of life)

-- Without ACRE --
                              Pros:
                              - No dealing with me or complicated radios
                              Cons:
                              - The world explodes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X