Insurgency Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurgency Issue

I've noticed this coming up a few times playing opfor. The bluefor base has a radius on it 600 meters im told, were if as opfor you get in that radius it teleports you away. This is to prevent spawn camping. I've got no problem with this, how ever if you move this base on to a town I have to defend it limits my options. I can't spawn on any of the AI withing the radius and I can't get into the town to defend. As I'm playing opfor I don't have access to advanced optics so it makes firing at long ranges practically useless. I also got the argument today that the AI will defend the town. Will ok if thats the case why is there any opfor slots on the mission in the first place if the AI are to defend everything.

Re: Insurgency Issue

I don't see what the problem is. The opfor always has the advantage in terms of numbers of AI. There are always more opfor than bluefor and a town rarely is as small as 600 m, so I don't see how that is unfair. I am one of those people that do not really enjoy insurgency when people go opfor, partly because I cannot keep up with the game on such low FPS but mostly because I do not see the point in going against us when there is already more than enough enemy. The game stops being about gaining teritory and finding caches and more about getting each other. I thought this is why there are TvT kind of missions.
    - - -

Comment

I am fairly new to Arma in some ways, despite having tried it several times over the years, it is only now that I am playing regularly.

I understand your basic point, my issue is, you are then dictating how the BluFor play.

Also I dont understand why people go OpFor when there are like 8 of us on the server total. BluFor doesnt get AI so it ends up with a ton of OpFor AI, a couple of player Opfor and 6 people playing BluFor. Not enough for two squads, which degrades the teamwork and tactics. Why not go BluFor so we can actually do something productive and work as a team, actually use some tactics and teamwork, instead of lonewolfing so you can spam endless RPG's (not you personally John, speaking in general terms, based on what I have seen).

Then later when a few more get on, players who wanted to could switch over to OpFor to up the stakes a bit.

Comment

Want i can do is create a edited version of it with the option to have the raduis or not.
        You'll be able to select it from the slot screen at the start up.

Comment

I agree with you Wikens. Playing this with a small number of players is difficult with the amount of ai that are in the mission, adding live opfor makes it almost impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
            I am fairly new to Arma in some ways, despite having tried it several times over the years, it is only now that I am playing regularly.

I understand your basic point, my issue is, you are then dictating how the BluFor play.

Also I dont understand why people go OpFor when there are like 8 of us on the server total. BluFor doesnt get AI so it ends up with a ton of OpFor AI, a couple of player Opfor and 6 people playing BluFor. Not enough for two squads, which degrades the teamwork and tactics. Why not go BluFor so we can actually do something productive and work as a team, actually use some tactics and teamwork, instead of lonewolfing so you can spam endless RPG's (not you personally John, speaking in general terms, based on what I have seen).

Then later when a few more get on, players who wanted to could switch over to OpFor to up the stakes a bit.
            I can take this to the other extreme, first AI only spawn were the blufor players are close to a town. As opfor I start the game in off map and need to spawn in on a AI player to be able to play in the first place. A lot of time this leaves me know option of playing without having to choose some AI the 3 klicks away and humping it. It also leaves me unable to acess parts of the town, which are were the caches are that I'm suppose to be defending. You can keep me non effective using a game mechanic.

As for the other point. Thats fine, I'm sure someone can fire up a version of this mission with no opfor. Personally I go opfor becuase we play coop 24/7 on our severs, It gets old after awhile.

Comment

An older version of insurgency would only let players take the opfor slots if there were a certain % of the server on the blufor team. I preferred it that way, playing insurgency against real people just isn't as fun as playing it as a large group against the AI.

Comment

I do see your point about the spawn and the option to play tvt instead of coop. I still think it would be more conducive to tactical play if people held off going opfor till there were more people on, but that's up to the individual. One choice gives the option for teamwork, the other lonewolfing.

I would love to have a decent number of Blufor go up against some bots with some live players mixed in. A real challenge.

I still maintain that playing coop till the numbers on the server increase can be fun, the challenge is then not only the AI but how to best cooperate to assault a cache location.

I would really like to try a big night of Ins with a full server with Ace running, kick it off late afternoon so we play through sunset and it gets dark. Imagine the layers and people using IT strobes as Blufor identifiers, all that lightshow in your NVG's.

Maybe we can try that sometime.

Comment

We can try, last time though we didn't get alot of people to show up. I would actually prefer we try some of the other missons on the server. Either way I would make a post about it a few days ahead of time.

Comment

Noted about numbers, turn out and giving notice. I think I could definitely get some interest from the 6th, Axis, DrifterDave, myself and Nardini all enjoy Insurgency or have done so far. I think they would love to see it running at its full potential.

I'll have a think and see what I come up with.

Comment

+1 to that idea, I'm sure the 189th could scrape the barrel and get a few of us to show.

Comment

This thread I think has gone off in a direction that perhaps John didn’t expect. Yesterday with 5 or 6 on the server everyone left and the server was empty within a few minutes after John logged in as Opfor. Today I don’t know because I wasn’t in the mood to try and out think John so left when he logged in as Opfor. I’m not against having games with live opfor but I think we all agree it becomes a different game. Without real opfor it is take territory and find caches, with live opfor it is more player v player. I like both ways except when I’m playing with a group of people that prefer taking territory and finding caches then that is what I want to do. As someone pointed out yesterday when they left the AI can be difficult enough.

It is really pointless going opfor if you’re just going to empty the server. So my suggestion is leave the server the way it is so we have the option, however just don’t go opfor because you can but ask the players if they mind facing live opfor.
                        Last edited by ZAP44; 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Theads go were the must, in all honesty I don't really like insurgency that much and feel its on par with domi, its very repetitive. Insurgency does have the TVT aspect which kept me somewhat intrested in the mission. I would much rather we get off the domi/insurgency mode and try out some of the other missions on the server.

Comment

I'll chime in 2 cents. I agree that less than two fire teams is too little to try Insurgency against real players in Opfor. The fun of this game personally is the cooperation, teamwork & moving the objective. That gets messed up imho when a live Opfor bogs a small team down. Now I don't want to repeat all the points above but the short of it is...is this a coop mission or PvP? They hybrid doesn't really work for me with smaller groups of players because there are so many AI. I hear you PvP guys about how predictable these AI become. I'd love to see a good number of people on the server & how that will play out because it would be a very different game and just might balance out in a very fun & tactical way.

I'm a huge fan of the BF2:PR PvP...love it. Can't wait for it in Arma. Just don't think Insurgency can be played the same way. It's a coop with spice. It's all up to the cook how much everyone enjoys it.
                            |TG-189th| Unkl
                            ArmA 3 Game Officer
                            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                            189th Infantry Brigade Member
                            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Insurgency is a LOT harder with Zeus AI running, I think we need to take into account that the original mission maker probably didn't design the mission with an AI improvement mod running server side.

As a result of this, when one guy goes down in the team I often find this means the rest will shortly follow, it simply takes too long to get them back up when you consider that AI spawn all the time around you in any position, often buildings, within a red grid square.

Adding Opfor on at the moment just messes things up further in my opinion, at least with the player counts we have. Whereas I would venture to say that the AI, when engaging from 100m or less within a town are nearly as deadly as other players now, the extra situational awareness, cunning and capabilities of an enemy which doesn't run off a strict programming routine just makes it too easy for Blufor to loose that one man and henceforth be doomed to respawn back at base. There are a few TvTs on the server currently that I think would cater to demand for some better. If you guys don't like the ones we have - let us know and suggest an idea you might have for a better one, I'm sure one of the mission devvy people could throw something together.

In terms of the base moving / opfor area denying thing though, gentleman's agreement I guess, although its extremely unlikely that anyone would do something like that on purpose, lest they think being spawncamped by AI is fun.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X