No announcement yet.

TG maps community poll

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG maps community poll

TG is going to have a map pack (again). But this time, we are doing things differently. We are going to add one map at a time and we are going to have missions for the map before it is added to the server. You, the community, will be selecting the first map to be added to the map pack. The maps available in this poll were chosen by the people that make the missions on our server. Below is a detailed description of each map, as well as some brief summaries of why the mission makers chose these maps. If the description and summary isn't enough for you, a download link for the island is also provided so you can try it out. You may only vote for one map, so choose wisely.

Island Lingor-

Description:This lush green environment in a fictional country somewhere near the Equator. Inspiration were countries such as Venezuela & Colombia. ~5 months were spent on research and creation of this world.

*Good performance
    *Lush Jungle Environment
    *Various rivers running throughout the map
    * Numerous river crossing points
    *Jungle paths
    * 10x10 map size
    * Colombian style villages and towns
    *Custom made foliage and buildings
    * Good for Vietnam style missions
    *Features 4 airports
    * This map is perfect for missions that involve "Charlie in the trees".

There are no bridges due to AI bugs (they can't handle well the crossings), but couple of shallow passings enable you to cross the river. At least where there is no rain when rivers like to flood.

Mission maker summaries:

“Lingor to me is an obvious choice. Whereas currently we have desert maps, forest maps, and city maps, the one thing we lack is a jugle map. While others have come before, none have been of the scope and detail of Lingor. What we have is 9x9 KM of terrain which vast and contrasting. Each of the different islands within the map have their own nuances which mission makers can easily exploit.”

“We already have a few desert and a forest map so we should add something different. Everyone also loves Vietnam missions so having a jungle to put them in would be nice.”

Download link:

-10x10 Km terrain, 4x4 km city terrain
    - Based on satellite pictures from real Fallujah area
    - Big city (more than 3.000 buildings and growing)
    - Houses and palms from ArmA1 to keep high performances and framerate.
    - 2 Bridges and 2 dams
    - Real based road grid
    - Object placement AI-Friendly
    - Urban, desert and oasis area
    - 330.000 objects placed
    - One military airport to the south, one FOB on the northern area (by -[TdC] and another helicopter base in the northern city area.

Mission maker summary:
    “Similar to Lingor in that it adds a type of terrain we don't currently have, but this one is a city instead of a jungle. Has great performance thanks to its use of older building. THe city is massive and is plenty large to force armour off a hill and into CQB.”

Download link:

Spritz Island-

-Big island with forests and narrow valleys.
    -Based on real DEM data from real Aegean sea island
    - Mixed environment with forests and desert areas
    - Vegetation and bush type changes from sea level to mountain level.
    - Detailed road network
    - 6 cities/villages, 5 industrial installations, sawmills, farms...
    - 2 lakes (natural and artificial)
    - 1 big airport over an artificial peninsula
    - complete powerline system (high and low voltage) across the island and along main roads.
    - more than 250.000 objects
    - featured and created for patrol missions and infantry movements

Mission Maker Summary:

“A great mix of more open land near the coast and dense forest inland is very well done. The area near the coast is mostly bushes for cover but as you go uphill into the highlands it begins to look more like chernarus. I think the mix of open armour friendly areas with smooth transitions into areas that restrict movement would make for a great map. Also a very small file for the size of the island(45mbish) would keep download size down.”

Download Link:

-Very detailed island
    - Covered almost by new objects (buildings and smaller misc objects from "" Nightstalkers: Shadow of Namalsk modification)
    - You can found on Namalsk big town Vorkuta, old hospital, small factories and villages, yard,2 harbors, mountains covered by snow, big agricultural object Jalovisko, UNDEGROUND object AII (since 1.10 patch new part!!), train tracks, deep forests and more and more.. SEE Screenshots below they tells more than words
    - Since ArmA II, new island is near Namalsk, called Tara
    - Since ArmA II, Completely NEW painted satellite mask with higher resolution.
    - Since ArmA II, Enhaced quality of ground textures
    - Since ArmA II, Enhaced performance on whole island
    - Tweaked ArmA II trees for better performance on Namalsk
    What is Namalsk?
    Namalsk is fictional island, located in Bering Strait. It is island with hard conditions for life, island is covered by needle-leaved trees, with high mountains covered by perma snow blanket. On Namalsk are located lot of different objects, for example there is high transmitter Seraja in mountains, underground in object AII, big town Vorkuta and two harbors Tara and Lubjansk.

Mission Maker Summary:
    “Features - The island is laden with loads of really good ones, the underground area included but not imo paramount... due to the need for a few extra modules (buildings and such created for the map) there are tonnes of really good cqb areas and towns are a lot more interesting for them. Whilst strolling around through remote villages and such I could spot several really good spots, picking out one or two for ambush positions, defensive emplacements and such.

Design - The island was quite clearly designed from the outlook as a game island. Whereas I would say BIS designed Takistan and Chernarus to be as realistic as possible, the creators of namalsk are quite evidently creating little areas that they thought would make great places for a fight, designing even the insides of barns and such with haystacks positioned quite clearly to be used as potential cover, similarly around buildings there are plenty of objects like walls, overturned trucks and such that would make amazing bounding maneuvers easier and much more fun.

I really love the style they went for as well, the island just feels war torn, unlike the vanilla islands or a lot of other custom ones it really feels like there is a war going on, with plenty of action inside wrecked and ruined factories and buildings - the kind of locations I pair with what hollywood movies tend to go with for construction site shootouts and such with loads of great areas for building breaching and clearance.

Drawbacks - It does require a few extra modules, but even with them It doesn't exceed the 500mb max, also in places the shrubbery was either not present or not very well spread out. The largest city also feels a bit meh due to a lot of the buildings being essentially the same one, however even then there are a few enterable ones and custom buildings around that act as a saving grace for me. Finally one or two ground textures seemed a little wierd / not working to me. Particularly by a lighthouse. I think this is because of an effect the island maker was trying to go for but just couldn't quite replicate. Bit of an eyesore but I could get over it.

Mission making potential - I could easily see myself exclusively making missions on Namalsk for some time, as mentioned above the island was designed to be played on and inspiration for really interesting engagements just ooze out of almost every corner.”

Download link:

Island Panthera-

first plan has been to create an entire Slovenia (of course resized to ArmA), but too many details were lost on mountain ranges. Slovenia is very similiar to other European countries with vast forests, several rivers, lakes and lush vegetation.

* real-life counterpart towns in the area had to be resized to small villages, couple of them listed here: Radovljica, Bled, Jesenice, Mojstrana, Kranjska Gora, Kobarid, Tolmin, Bohinjska Bela, etc. Map now features over than 60 settlements/places, of course much smaller than real life counterpart.

* texture is based on 10240x10240 composite of various satellite images and photoshopped in couple of places.

* there are four airports present:
    - Lesce (real one is cessna/soaring plane capable, but in-game runway is the sake of gameplay paved and much bigger, so fighters & transport planes can use it)
    - Bovec (real one, small for mainly helicopter operations or for very very daring pilots)
    - Arnoldstein (fake one, Arnoldstein doesn't have one in RL, but this one has been added for better gameplay and mission makers' ideas coming to life. It supplies Tarvisio on SW. Its also the biggest airport with a long runway.
    - Smugglers (another fake one, this one stands in the desert and locals use it for smuggling operations in and out of the island), supplies the Town of Skooma.

* Almost everything exists in the real World. But there are couple of fictional (FAKE) areas added to improve gameplay. One of them is a desert part on the SouthEast and entire Northern Sector (Austrian Coast) is also fictional with tropical vegetation and small villages, not to forget a fictional racing track

* all roads are based on real-life data and cover all sectors of the map.

Mission maker summary:

“Reasoning - Panthera from above is pretty beautiful mostly due to the interesting geography involved based as I understand around a real heightmap from someplace I didn't pay much attention to. It's also pretty large, containing multiple towns, cities, settlements and industrial areas, all seemingly well designed with a few ground texture caveats.

They seem to have gone for almost all enterable buildings when creating towns, which imo is both amazing and a downside. Amazing as it will make CQB a lot more interesting and pushing into towns a lot more fun imo. Vanilla Arma maps can be boring for stuff like that for me at least. Although I must point out that the space around the buildings is sometimes standard and typical of the vanilla maps - no interesting objects placed to use as cover when bounding etc, most of them being enterable makes up for this in my opinion.

Design - I think for this one the island maker probably wanted to make a beautiful island over a game island, but still manages to create enough interesting locations to make for really good scenarios. Albeit in how the locations interact with each other as a whole over having lots of really interesting small spots in a larger interesting area as such with Namalsk.

The are a few areas in particular that I think would make for awesome Vietnam style missions. Panthera however played fine in the time I spent on it with nothing more than the occasional frame stumble that I experience every so often as par playing ArmA.

Drawbacks - Not as intensely designed and created down to the meter as Namalsk, but is much larger than Namalsk containing many more towns etc. Some ground textures didn't seem to match where they were, i.e. solid dirt within a town, in quite near to a solid square around it. Visual blips i guess. didn't spend a lot of time on the ground but I did notice a lack of shrubbery when I was on it, given that a lot of people, with the option presented, would just turn this off though I don't think there would be a problem.

Mission making potential - I have a couple in mind at the moment, however given ample time to fully explore every little bit of the map I'm sure I could find some really interesting scenarios to throw into a mission. Not as many as Namalsk, but still enough to keep me busy for some time.”

Download Link:

Isla Di Capraia-

Capraia Island, is the main forward base, supply troops, weapons and armored vehicles of Takistan.
    The agreements between the Russia and the Takistan mean that this is the ****! Now the Russian troops are stationed there!

Take the island of Capraia, this is to cut the balls of these terrorists and cut off their supply route.

"true history but included in the fictionnal story" Wikipedia's source

It became Genoese in 1527 and was strongly fortified. In 1796 it was occupied for a short time by Horatio Nelson. Part of the island was formerly occupied by an agricultural penal colony, but it was shut down in 1986. Most of the island has been made into a national park.

Map size : 10x10 km
    Isola di Capraļa : 8x4 km

Mission maker summary:

“I chose this island because it has good terrain. It is a small download, and it looks nice. This island has mission making potential, but it is not my first choice.”

Download Link:
    Island Lingor
    Splitz Island
    Island Panthera
    Isla Di Capircola

The poll is expired.

|TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Re: TG maps community poll

I downloaded & did a quick exploration of Fallujah & Lingor. Hard choices. Would really like pushing thru that huge city in Fallujah. Can imagine the nervous sweat I'll break into when setting down in the middle of some street in a Huey.

Lingor has much more varied terrain as Fallujah is pretty much flat. Lingor looks really good & has some really nice airfields & new buildings and such. I did notice a buggy building where I walked through a wall to a room with no doors & could see through the outside walls (Delta Force anyone?).

I guess I'd be leaning toward Lingor for the first one so far as it promises more variety. Will check out a few of the others before I vote though.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    TG PrimerArmA Game Officer189th Infantry Brigade Former Irregular
    Submit a Ribbon Nomination!
    "this is on par with groups you have to join to get the quality of gameplay and i really enjoyed it" - random dude
    "Remember when the threat has spotted you, smoke first then bring the explosive rounds to bear. When the threat has not spotted you its bang first and smoke after to extract." - Wicks

Definitely Lingor. Both Insurgency and Ghost Recon use that Island. I also would give Fallujah some thought as it also has an Insurgency mission. I can’t imagine trying to find weapon caches with insurgents behind every door in that maze.

I have played missions with Fallugah and yes the battles are very intense and long.

Lingor for me. Also, plus rep on the post Socom!

Lingor then Fallujah a close second, gonna install both and have a mess around.

I just love fallujah so much that it is my choice :)
              Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Lingor for me !

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

ACOG is paying me to vote for Lingor.

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
                  Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
                  We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
                  And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
                  He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Going for Lingor since I could really use a nice jungle terrain to develop a mission or two in. :D
                    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                    Former 31st RECCE Member

Why can't we have both?

It was a toss up between Lingor and Panthera, having played both i feel they would both add a new dynamic mind to game play and make a nice change from the dusty old desert.

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                          Why can't we have both?
                          We're trying to gently ease into the maps. Give the limited amount of mission makers we have time to make missions for them, so the player base gets the benefit of islands actually with missions. Rather than as we have seen in the past, whereas we had so many islands, and so few missions.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

And the Winner is Island Lingor!!!!!

Expect to see the map on the server sometime in the next few weeks.
                            |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Are we going to add TG maps to Yoma again? Starting with Lingor.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed