Restrepo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrepo

I just finished this movie, and am wondering if anyone else has seen it.

"Sebastian Junger, author of The Perfect Storm, teamed with photographer Tim Hetherington and spent a year embedded with the Second Platoon in Afghanistan, chronicling the hard work, fear and brotherhood that come with repelling a deadly enemy. Hunkered down with the soldiers in one of the region's most strategic valleys, the filmmakers uncover the dark humor, sleepless surreality and constant anxiety of war in this Oscar-nominated documentary."

Not only does it reveal the passiveness of the war, but also how much the mujahideen's grip over the civilians are over there.

I highly recommend this documentary to everyone the ARMA community.,
    |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
    Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
    We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
    And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
    He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Re: Restrepo

cool ill take a look!
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

I really like this documentary, as a civi, it really shed some light on things and what our military has to deal with! I really enjoyed it.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

This is a great documentary. All should watch it, it really shows the sacrifices being made by our armed forces.
        sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

I too recommend seeing it. It really shows what we go through and why we do it.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Great show, truly made me sit down and think. Even from a non-American point of view, it kind of makes you proud, yet asks so many questions. I don't remember ever getting so damn angry at something than at the patrol part of the show. I am trying not to "spoil" it for those who have not seen it, if that counts. Also, my opinion on their CO may be very different to some people's, but I feel he needs to bugger off back to West Point for a while......Anyway, great show.

I also recommend Armadillo...........

http://www.slashfilm.com/armadillo-trailer/

Thanks to Bamboo for that link.

Comment

Saw it. Loved it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
              The BigC

Comment

If you guys liked the film and enjoy reading pick up the book. I read it not long after seeing the movie and tore through the book in 3 days. Junger goes into more detail on some of the operations and you get a little more of his perspective on things.

The amount of control the insurgents/Taliban had over the locals was pretty amazing to me also. It seems like that is the number one thing they were fighting against. It's too bad that all the old timers over there pretty much control the villages and they are too afraid to stand up to the insurgents. They are so used to one way of life and don't want to change even though some of the changes might benefit the younger people during their lifetimes.

Comment

I just finished Armadillo, and am impressed with out the Danish military conducts itself in terms of engagements.

It's a entirely different point of view from Restrepo, both in good ways and bad. I reccomend seeing these movies even more so.

Thanks Jeepo for telling me about the film.
                  |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
                  Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
                  We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
                  And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
                  He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Comment

April 20, 2011, 6:32 pm
                    ‘Restrepo’ Director Is Killed in Libya

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...lled-in-libya/

=(
                    I have completed the following TG ArmA2 courses:
                    Navigation | Communications | Fireteam Operations | Basic Transport Helo

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
                      I just finished Armadillo, and am impressed with out the Danish military conducts itself in terms of engagements.

It's a entirely different point of view from Restrepo, both in good ways and bad. I reccomend seeing these movies even more so.

Thanks Jeepo for telling me about the film.
                      I love how lax they are with grooming regulations. Hair cuts, and epic facial hair were awesome.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

I was surprised to hear the director was killed today in Libya. The documentary really reminded me of army life esp the drive on after something bad happens.

BTW people don't have the same grooming standards when deployed than when stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by DiaCero View Post
                          I was surprised to hear the director was killed today in Libya. The documentary really reminded me of army life esp the drive on after something bad happens.

BTW people don't have the same grooming standards when deployed than when stateside.
                          Depends on the branch of military and command. The fancy beards and haircuts wouldnt fly even with relaxed grooming standards in almost all commands, that's why you see the normal short hair and mustaches with everyday type infantry.

Found this on the Danish
                          http://www.stripes.com/news/danish-a...aining-1.63912

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

When's the last time you saw a REMF came out to a FOB to complain about grooming? Sure you can't rock the sf style full on beards but longer hair and face fuzz never got a second look where I came from.

Comment

Originally posted by DiaCero View Post
                              When's the last time you saw a REMF came out to a FOB to complain about grooming? Sure you can't rock the sf style full on beards but longer hair and face fuzz never got a second look where I came from.
                              The Marine Corps loves it's grooming standards.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X