Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diary of a Lorelei....

Dear Diary,

I don't think I'll ever forget today for as long as I live. I've run into fate more times in my line of work than I care to think about. You're either meant to live or your meant to die, and no matter which it is, when that one event occurs that tries to alter your fate, you beat it. I know this probably doesn't make much sense.... it's like, when someone get's into a car accident and their car is turned into a sardine can, yet they come out with barely a scratch. They are obviously meant to live and despite the events that tried to change that, that person's fate won out.

But today.... today was different. It was like some higher power was desperately trying to change the course of the future, but fate just wouldn't let it happen. I've seen it once.... but 3 times in one day?! And even stranger yet.... to the same person!?! I don't think I'll ever have another day like this one again. And honestly, I hope I don't.
    I won't really go into full detail about the day, that would probably fill up this diary and about 3 more. But I'll fill you in on some of the more important, and the stranger, details of the day.

Today was the first operational day of Camp Domination on Takistan. We were sent in to help keep peace and order between all the local residents. I dunno, more in-fighting and quarrelling. Seems to be all we handle now-a-days. Anyway.... Today we offically had everything up and running and started our patrols.

We had been on 4 or 5 before a local came into the Camp saying there was a group of insurgents who had erected a radio tower and were planning on calling in reinforcements to take out our Camp. So about 5 of us went out to recon the area and, if possible, take out the tower and eliminate the threat. From what we had seen up to this point we figured it would be a piece of cake. I mean, the last patrol ended in us destroying 4 hidden tanks that had absolutely no security. Piece of cake.

Well, there were about 50 guys, 3 tanks, and 2 BMP's surrounding this radio tower at the top of a hill. We weren't really prepared for this kind of force, but we didn't have too much difficulty handling it. So we get up to the radio tower and are waiting for reinforcements to bring us a few satchels when out of nowhere one of the tanks we had immobilized blows up. There were a few injuries, myself included in that list, but we had one fatality.

Squad Leader |TG-31st|Blackpython.

We did a few rounds of CPR, I tried giving some EPI and Morphine, but after awhile it seemed like it was a lost cause. I didn't really want to stop, but our transport had arrived. So we put him in a body bag and brought him back to base with us. No one get's left behind.

We offloaded him and laid him down near our ammo crate, none of us really believing that we had already lost someone on our first day. And how we lost him was even stranger. Command had organized a funeral, and then sent us back out on patrol. I guess they were hoping putting us back to the normal day to day would help us get better? Guess they forgot that today was day 1.

Well, we come back later that night and command orders us to go investigate another possible radio tower surrounded by an unknown amount of infantry and heavy armor. I didn't want to go. I felt like I had failed once already, I certainly didn't want to lose another Squad Leader. I tried to express this to command.... tried to ask them to send another squad for this one.... you know what his answer was? And I'm quoting:

“Don't be ridiculous. You didn't lose him. I'm also going to put a more experienced Squad Lead in to help ease your fears.”

I still had my doubts. And when I saw that Blackpython was our new Squad Lead, I think I **** myself. And I'm pretty sure Unkl did (at least I'm guessing by the sudden odor that came from his direction). I honestly don't know how it happened. He didn't know how it happened. We just knew that he was there standing in front of us about to lead us back into the same situation that got him killed the first time.

On to the second event of the evening.... as we're headed out towards our RP, Blackpythons legs gave out. He really wasn't carrying much. He had a rifle, some magazines, two satchels, and I think maybe a Med Pack or two. He honestly was carrying less than we normally do. But every few feet he would just collapse on the ground. He said he felt fine. No pain, tingling, etc etc. I checked him out and couldn't find anything wrong. But he just kept collapsing.

We weren't really sure what to do when he turned to us and said: “Shoot me”. We laughed, ha ha, good joke. He didn't. “No, really. Shoot me. Then you can fix me back up again and I should be okay after that”. We had already lost him once, Christ, we had a funeral for him! And here he was ordering us to shoot him. So, reluctantly, one of the guys shot him in the leg. I rush over to him and he smacks me away. “I said shoot me. Pretend like I'm the enemy and shoot me already!”. Yeah, I'm telling the truth. He wanted us to kill him. Again.

After much debate, he finally convinced us that if we didn't do it, he would do it himself. So..... we did it. Markolh raised his weapon, aimed, and fired. I went right to work giving meds as someone else was doing CPR. Miraculously we brought him back. And he magically got up like nothing had happened and wanted to continue on with the mission. Seriously.... continue on with the mission....

At this point we'd had just about as much as we could handle, but we sure didn't want to go back to Camp and think about the events of the day just yet. So we vowed that we'd go take it out on these.... people.... that put us in the same position twice today.

Well, we didn't go far when the third strange event of the evening occurred. He was still having the same problem with his legs, but he demanded we continue with our mission. We had reached our first RP near some rocks on the hill just south of the location when Blackpython told us to continue on, he needed to check him map and report back to command about our status.

We get up to the hill and are belly crawling over the crest when he radios to us.... “Guys, I'm really sorry about this. I can't go on like this. Chief, you're my second in command so take over.” Confused, we turn back to look in his direction. One second he's kneeling next to the rocks, the next he's engulfed by an enormous fireball. He used his satchels to kill himself.

At this point we were numb. None of us really were comprehending what was going on. I thought I was dreaming. Honestly. You know how something you're in shock and make a joke about it? I honestly and truely thought I was having the worst nightmare of my life. I had just watched my Squad Lead, the same Squad Lead, die 3 times. Literally die. Heart stop. Body functions give (yes, that means he wet his pants). Brain function cease. Die.

I don't really remember much about the rest of that mission. I don't know if we demolished them right away or if we only had half a fight in us. I just remember thinking that this particular fight was taking eternity to end. All I wanted to do was go back to my bunk and crawl under the covers. Maybe not emerge for another year or two. So imagine my surprise when we finally get back to base and we're greeted by Blackpython.

I don't know. He should be dead. He should be dead three times over! And yet.... as I'm writing this I'm sitting across from him in the chopper on our way back from our (hopefully) last mission of the night.

He was not meant to die today. That fact is blatently obvious. But, I think.... I really think he might be meant for great things. I know that I'm definately honored to be working with this man, and I hope that I am still around when whatever he was meant to do is accomplished.

Lorelei Out.

Last edited by Lorelei; 04-12-2011, 01:50 AM.

Re: Diary of a Lorelei....

+1. Great AAR!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

you REALLY did put that in the AAR XD first day playing the game, and my SL begs me to shoot him god that was nice and fun
      |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
      BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
      Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

You know, Lorelei, this sounds like it could be the greatest ribbon nomination anyone has ever seen. You know, if it was submitted with some names and what ribbons it could be used for...*wink wink nudge nudge*

P.S. - Beat Dredge for me. I talked to him on teamspeak tonight and he was being uppity. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          P.S. - Beat Dredge for me. I talked to him on teamspeak tonight and he was being uppity. :)
          She beats him anyway, its why we all love her! :D

Comment

I'm glad I brought the body bag with me! I'm still not sure why I was dragging him since he wasn't even in my squad, lol!

I took some footage of the salute as well, hopefully get it up later.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

lol weirdest gun salute ever :D

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

"I think I **** myself. And I'm pretty sure Unkl did (at least I'm guessing by the sudden odor that came from his direction)."

It's true! But I didn't play squishy with it.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer
                Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                189th Infantry Brigade Member
                SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Unk View Post
                  "I think I **** myself. And I'm pretty sure Unkl did (at least I'm guessing by the sudden odor that came from his direction)."

It's true! But I didn't play squishy with it.
                  Thank you for that! LMAO

But seriously, Blackpython had one hell of a strange night and I know personally I laughed the hardest I've laughed at this game in a long time. It was excellent fun and, despite Lorelei's point of view being towards the serious side, this particular Domi was hysterical and a great play! I can't wait to get back out on the battlefield with you guys. :)

Comment

This was a great read. I have just finished dl the PR files to try playing that but after reading this...... and well I think I might be going out and getting ARMA II. Sounds like a pretty intense and fun way to spend some time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Lorelei , reading that was almost better than being there. It was filled with laughs but we still got the job done.

Comment

Serious doesn't mean you can't have fun. :p

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

That was a hilarious night. Can't wait till theres another night like that, maybe with me dying less due to accidents and glitches.
                          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

well if there is another glitch i'll try being around to put you out of your misery again XD
                            |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                            BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                            Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                              She beats him anyway, its why we all love her! :D
                              :D :D :D

Though, I thought it was the milk and fresh baked cookies that won you all over. LOL

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X