Body Armor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armor

Does ARMA's engine put body armor into the equation of ballistics? I am aware of some bulletproof vests that are close to getting a DoD contract that can stop .308s from 400m?

It's called Dragon Skin for those who are interested.

http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/dragon-skin/
    |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
    Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
    We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
    And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
    He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Re: Body Armor

No Armor doesn't make a difference in arma

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Any NIJ certified type III body armor can stop a .308 from 400m - and at much closer ranges too. The inserts for the interceptor vests the army uses, though not given a NIJ rating, are around there while the enhanced inserts can stop a 30-06 armor piercing round.

Were you not aware of the controversy surrounding USAF testing of Dragon Skin 5 years ago? The USAF claimed the armor failed its tests and Pinnacle apparently lied about their vests being certified to type III prior to certification. It's not a new product. The military didn't want it then, and I haven't read anything that suggests they've recently changing their minds. The armor has since lost its NIJ certification after the DOJ determined that there's not enough evidence that the armor will maintain its level of protection over the warranty period.

From what I understand, one primary concern with Dragon Skin is that in some cases the plates can fall to the bottom of the vest in hot or cold environments. Think of how the things must be constructed. The individual plates can't have holes in them - that would compromise their integrity - so you can't sew them to the vest. They overlap each other, so you can't sew pockets or quilts in the vest to hold them. So they need to be held together and to the vest by some kind of glue. Sure, there are high temperature glues. But how long will they last under prolonged wear in mixed environments where the adhesive points are being flexed over and over? If those plates fall to the bottom of the vest, that's bad! They may be nice when they're shiny and new out of the box and you strap it to a ballistic gelatin model and shoot it in a lab, but how about out in the field?

It's also much more expensive than the interceptor armor the army currently uses. And apparently for the same amount of coverage it's just as bulky and heavier.

Comment

No wonder I hadn't heard anything in a long time about them. Pinnacle Armor filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy last year: http://www.chapter11blog.com/chapter...hapter-11.html

Comment

Also their armor pretty much took a crap when exposed to diesel fuel which was a massive point against it for military use.
          I have completed the following TG ArmA2 courses:
          Navigation | Communications | Fireteam Operations | Basic Transport Helo

Comment

Ah. That's why I don't hear anything about that armor.

I haven't heard about much body armor in the past year so I just used that as an example.
            |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
            Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
            We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
            And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
            He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Comment

In ACE II, 5.56 NATO tends to have a lesser first-shot effect than its slightly bigger brother 7.62 NATO.
              Given the choice in game. I would carry the 7.62.
              However, having 5.56 with 100round magazine is very practical given the limits on gear selection boxes. Leaving more space for grenades or smoke grenades or batteries if there are no backpacks.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

pfftt who needs 7.62 when you can have 20mm and lots of armor :D

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X