TG updates vs the world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG updates vs the world

As the title suggests. We are lagging behind the trend here. (ACEII, ACRE)

I personally wouldn't want to lose one person due to a minor but major issue of version mismatches. Ergo, losing more potential TG ArmA players. As it is, ArmA player base is very limited as compared to other titles.

What's the update on the update?

Also, I'd like to know more about the transfer to Six updater from Yoma.

It has been mentioned briefly, but no documentation for us to read and prep is lacking. To smooth out the transitional stage.
    "PPPPP"
    (Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance)

It was hard enough to get the players to use Yoma correctly, and installations of ACRE.
    I highly doubt that Six Updater would be 100% fool proof.

Thankfully, members and supporting members have in the past ( and currently), have devoted their own time to help others.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

I have fully tested Six with a local server and have worked out a few little issues. I didn't want to impact the current player base by doing this on the production server.

I have also set up a new repository for the @TGMaps addon and have tested that as well. It is working perfectly. Tomorrow at approximately 1700 EST I will be enabling this server side and we will be ready to update completely and transition over to Six.

The ArmA servers will be going down at this point while I complete the work and should no be down for more than an hour or two max.

Once the transition is complete we will be able to update far quicker using a differential update method so users will only have to synchronize the bytes that have changed rather than having to re-download the entire ACE addon set each time there is an update.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Re: TG updates vs the world

Hello Apophis,

Thanks for your input and in handling of this matter with fore sight. It is most definitely appreciated.
      Not to mention your speedy response, and thank you for the much needed update.

I must say, getting a reply from up top is a surprise to me and a welcome one too. *

*for those reading this, just to be clear. No sarcasm nor other forms of deciphering is needed. It is what it is.

Lowspeed

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

This is something we have been working towards for a few weeks now. The reason Apo replied Low Low is because he has been elbows deep in helping the ArmA Admin team out. We have been working together for some time now trying to refine TG:ArmA and make it easier on all to jump in and play. I wish I could take credit for some of the stuff, but all I did was throw out ideas. Apo has worked his fingers to the bone helping to get us to where we are.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Thanks to Low for asking, and Thanks to Apo and Dredge for their replies. I have been waiting for some report of the progress towards the transition to Six from Yoma. I know that UnitedOperations has already made the transition.

Comment

Cheers for the heads up fellas, I look forward to an easier access to TG mods for new folks.

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
            I know that UnitedOperations has already made the transition.
            Kind of irrelevant here, as they are a totally separate clan. Sorry Sarge, but I don't get the point of this comment at all. We might as well compare ourselves to ST, to ]H[ or any other group out there if we are going down that road. We are TG, we do it our way, not anyone else's.

Comment

Jeepo the only reason I mentioned UO, was from an observational veiw that they seemed to have made the transition already that we will be doing soon. I have confidence in our Admin leaders and team to make the transition smooth and efficiently. I don't follow UO, I don't play there, only in doing research, for myself for the upcoming change, I saw they switched from Yoma to Six. Just gathering Intel, Jeepo, nothing else, becareful, I can still put you over my knee.

Comment

And just maybe I would like it Sarge! :D

All kidding aside, I just find it a strange thing for anyone to mention what external clans do, when TG has never before cared, and never needs to about other groups! No harm, no foul, just my own observation!

Comment

Np

Comment

Many communities, not only UO, ShackTac, 7th Cav, and others have all made the switch for what are the same reasons. The ACE team made it so therefore if your community continued to use AddonSync you would be forced to re-download ACE. We're not alone in this mess Jeepo, so it can be healthy to draw parallels between us and others at times (read: we can learn from others mistakes). Also, United Operations is a community just like us - not a clan.

@Sarge, You can play wherever you want. It's no one's business where you divide your play time. Several people here at TG play in multiple communities spread across multiple titles. I play Arma here and at UO. I race over at SimHQ, and I fly at VATSIM. There's nothing wrong with that.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Acog, I agree with every point you made above, so I am guessing in my initial post I was not clear enough.

EDIT: Deleting the rest, because apparently some people feel the need to pander and skirt around the issue, and I have neither the time, patience, inclination, nor is it my job, to set misconceptions to rights here.

Well done to Dredge, Apo and all involved in getting us up to speed in TG's own timeframe.
                      Last edited by Jeepo; 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks Acog, I don't want or need this thread to go off track. I was satisfied with APO's and Dredge's reply to Low's question, which was enough for me.

Comment

We have our servers open to the public now and we are on yoma, most others have moved off that and onto six (nevermind the politics involved). Therein lies the problem, because we are TG different from the rest by design, means there is a mismatch when others try to join our servers. we just want to be in step so they can play here and we can play where we want without the mismatch. We didn't know that mentioning UO was still a no no here, it appears some people are still too butthurt about it.

Comment

Its not a No No. Lets stop bringing this up. We are TG, they are UO. Two different entities. They do their thing, we do ours. Thats it. Get this thread back on track or I will lock it down and start handing out infractions.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                              Thankfully, members and supporting members have in the past ( and currently), have devoted their own time to help others.

When I was administering 2142, I had a pretty good handle on the setup and operations to get new people involved. When I picked up this title (for the third time) a couple of weeks ago, Warrior was very helpful in setting it up for me. While I appreciate the help and have enjoyed playing; the amount of "setup" involved is quite lengthy and while helpful; the TG sticky on setup still needs some hand holding (Yes, I admit I got lost!)

I have tried to help several new members with ACRE and such but realize I have some limitations. I really hate having to "refer" someone to Dredge, Low, Third, or anyone else.

My point,
                              Will this new operating environment be easier to implement?
                              If not, is it possible to setup some training classes on the in's and out's of the system?
                              Just wanting to help out.
                              XP

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse