Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gaming desktop!!!!

OK
    so after playing ARMA 2 on a I7 laptop for the past month and slowly getting p++++d off by the slow frame rate and not being able to spot targets 600m out i went and got myself a new desktop. here are the specs.

PROCESSOR: I7 950 @3.06GHZ
    MOTHERBOARD: INTEL X58 WITH sli/crossfire
    GPU: AMD HD6870 @1GDDR5
    RAM: 8GBDDR3
    OPERATING: WINDOWS 7 64BIT HOME PREMIUM

So hopefully when i pick it up tommorow i will notice a big difference. having never owned a desktop before i am going to need to do some research on how to overclock etc so i max out the settings. Does anyone think i need anything else in it?

see you in game.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: New gaming desktop!!!!

No need to overclock that, that will run it great as it is. I never overclock until things are getting near the end of their life anyway, then if I break something it won't be as big a deal. If you have any specific questions let us know, but that looks good so far!

Comment

8GB? on a x58? How are the DIMMS setup?I was pretty sure all x58 were tripple channel and generally with 2 sets of 3 DIMMS. So generally you'd have 2GB sticks in 1 set of DIMMS = 6GB, or 2GB in all 6 slots = 12GB.
      I'll have to check on it later.

I have the same proc though, haven't overclocked either. If you do, you will need a really good heatsink and proper case ventillation.
      Goodluck!
      Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

hmm i will have to check tommorow when i pick it up........thanks for the heads up third sin.. im not that computer savvy... i just went with the best i could get on my budget..
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob

Comment

Very nice mate, my I5 has a factory overclock so they are fairly safe if done with care. However as you have it at default which is already a good rate of knots I would see how it runs then think about o/c'ing later.

Comment

Nice system! sounds alot like mine! Let me know how it turns out because i have been having slow mp frames and the only difference between our systems is that i got 6gb ram and 2x6850's.

Comment

Big thing though, make sure the hard drive has a fairly good rpm. You can have a NASA processor and graphics card but if your HDD is slow the game will be slow. That is something you need to be fully aware of.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                Big thing though, make sure the hard drive has a fairly good rpm. You can have a NASA processor and graphics card but if your HDD is slow the game will be slow. That is something you need to be fully aware of.
                Indeed. Not to burst your bubble, but the HD is the slowest piece of equipment on your machine. If they set you up with a 2 or 3 TB inexpensive big 'ol drive, its winning the 'boat anchor award' for slowing down everything behind it.
                A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Get a SSD like i did on my new i7 950 rig. Bought a Crucial C300 128GB SSD as my main drive with a 1TB HDD for back up stuff and ARMA2 runs amazing.

Comment

Yeah my system is also slowed down by my SATA-disk. I'll be looking for a SSD very soon!

Comment

A quick update on it after playing it for 2 days straight :) I can confirm it is running 8 gb of ddr3 ram. It is triple channel thirdsin. I am running 2 x 4gb. In game I am running the 3d ratio at 125%. All settings are at ultra high. I am getting 30 plus frames per second at all times so is running amazing. View distance is at 8 km. Only problem so far js I have had it crash twice on me after playing for 4 + hours each time. The screen went to no signal and I had to reboot both times. Possibly an overheating issue. I will keep an eye on it.
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob

Comment

Don't run any higher than 100% on the 3d. Starts to make things look a little "off". Or at least it did for me.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

As others have already said, this game eats up the hard drive so an ssd is where to put your money when upgrading for this game. It wont give you a jump in fps but it will run your game smooth because of the fast load times. I have seen guys cry after buying an Intel I7 and biggest gpu and still have stutter, I don't get stutter. I bought mine on sale to take the sting out of the cost, placed the OS and Arma on it and have a regular HDD for everything else.

Comment

I'm sure you have already done so, but check your drivers for available updates. It's possible when they installed your video cards they used an old set. Sometimes errors magically disappear when drivers get updated :)
                            Last edited by ThirdSin; 05-30-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Very nice rig.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse