Map tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map tools

Now the ACE team decided you are not supposed to be able to zoom in map since real soldiers dont get digital maps i think we need to add Maptools on our missions. It takes a couple more seconds to calculate the grid and its not that hard really all you need is a pen and paper and maptools. I personally like this change makes it more of a SIM that adds to the fun for me.

For finding a grid ref: Just place the upper right hand corner of the map tools on the place you are wanting to find. Find the number of where the left most and bottom most grid lines intersect the map tools. Note these, and then for the easting (the left to right numbers) take the easting number (for example 06) and append the number to it, either rounding any decimals or removing them. Do the same for northings, except if you are on a map that has northings reversed (pre-OA style) subtract the number from 10 first to account for the direction of increment. Balance out the size of the northing and easting, so they have the same number of digits (add 0s basically to the shorter side) and you are done.

For finding a maploc: Do the same as above but in reverse. Find the 4 digit grid ref (the first two from northing and easting), then line up the numbers on the ruler edges to the left most and bottom most grid lines in that grid. The upper right hand corner is the location of the ref.
    Here's a video that helped me learn how to calculate / find out which grid i'm at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbzwIF0b89A

ps. We're getting blufor trackers soon
    Spartan 10

Re: Map tools

Good Find Tarmpaket

Comment

It's a good thing in general, but regardless of grid numbers, it's very unfortunate that you can't zoom in to see the full map detail.

Certain things like repair point markers in domi are really ruined by this. Oh well. If there was a way they could just remove the grids even when zoomed in, that would be ideal, but I guess that's not possible out they would've done it :(

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Very nice find, Tarm. I am practicing it as we speak.
        |
        | |

"Kirov is boss"
        CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

+1
          TGU courses: - 20/05/11 Jacezz

Comment

oh...now I understand why I've been having trouble zooming in to see my position...I thought it was mission specific...guess not.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Just an FYI, the mission maker can override these changes.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

You can override, but in my opinion, they should only be overridden if the mission isn't supposed to be too realistic. Learning to use the map tools doesn't take long, and you don't ALWAYS need an 8 digit grid. Not knowing EXACTLY where everyone is is part of the fun! :D Now... if only ACE can rid us of the magic map markers.
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Magic as in if CO puts a marker down, it should only be added to my map if I'm within, say, 50m of him?

[Spartan 9]

Comment

50m is still too far away in my opinion, needs to be more like 10m or so. Also, I wish more mission makers would use the ACE Map Module. I'm sorry but not everyone needs a map or really has one. Really only when you should be able to get other people's map markers is if you can physically see their map and copy it off their map.

I understand why people like having maps, but people really need to start learning situational awareness. I still feel like there needs to be more play on expert difficulty as well. Less GPS markers, no group markers, less maps, and more teamwork/coordination is my desire.
                    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

50m is probably a lot closer than you think. In CoD, we once set name tags to show up on friendly units only if they were within 20m. Even on that small scale game on small maps with low player numbers, it made planning a nightmare. As the squad leader, trying to view your squad members' equipment and give them appropriate instructions became spl but impossible, because even if we remained within the spawn area, there would still be people outside name tag range.

Now scale that up so that instead of commanding five people, you're commanding 25.

Also, you sound like you'd want to have the co run around to 25 people and request he open each person's map (like how you access others' inventory) so he can mark it. That would lead to endless insanity.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Do grunts need to have the map markers? Only people that need them are leaders.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Another solution is to mark with the pen with the map tools, the fireteamleaders /squadleaders go up ACE interaction menu and then copy map. think it works if CO marks with regular markers in a personal chat aswell and then people copy his map the same way.
                          Spartan 10

Comment

Also points on the map do not need to be relayed via map markers. That is what we have Radios for, that is what GRIDLOCs are for, contact reports, situation reports, etc. All of which creates a more teamwork based environment.

As Jack said, do grunts really need to know the overall plan? Their job isn't to usurp their team leader in CoC, its to follow his orders. This may put more stress onto FTLs, SLs, and COs; however, the less people there are chiming up with their own plan of action that interferes with the CO's or SLs or FTLs, then that just creates more issues.
                            If a grunt wishes to know what "the deal is" or general plan, they have the write to know, but the manner in which they should find out is through their respective SL/FTL by means of "Objective Style". What I mean by Objective Style is in goal by goal process. Keep it simple for the grunts, they really just need to know what they're trying to complete at that point in time, not what needs to be completed several steps in the future.
                            Last edited by ZephyrDark; 06-04-2011, 01:39 AM.
                            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

While I agree that the grunts don't need to know the plan I'll encourage anyone in my FT to overhear as much as possible (this way they aren't chattering at me hehe). But really just so they know what the plan is & so newer folks can get the understanding of the bigger picture. Yes they should only really worry about their sector, what the FTL last told them to do because if they are not, then someone is about to get shot. The most important thing a grunt can do is their own job. Boy am I off the thread topic here!

I'm not really enjoying the map tools requirement. If I was using a map I could lay out the whole map or look close at the detail...this is what a digital map can't do without zoom. So until I get a printed out map beside my mouse I will long for the zoom.
                              |TG-189th| Unkl
                              ArmA 3 Game Officer
                              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                              189th Infantry Brigade Member
                              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X