Arma2 and lag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma2 and lag

So I've had A2 lying around for a year or more without really touching it, but since the RIP guys are doing A2 basic training stuff in preperation for the PR:A2 release, I dusted it off and joined the training session today.

What I saw have me kinda worried. While the gameplay seemed alright, if fiddly, with a million differnt hotkeys. The horrible lag on the server kinda destroyed the experience for me. Players would generally not have smooth animations, but would rather be jerky and teleport around, and when I asked about this problem I was told that it was not just because the server was crappy, but a general problem you just had to live with.

I'm wondering. Is this true? Is arma2 multiplayer = horrendous player lag? If so, I think I'm going to have to pass up on PR:A2, even if the gameplay is excellent, since having every soldier outfitted with their own personal microteleporter completely breaks any immersion I had at the start, and distracts me from enjoying the game.

Re: Arma2 and lag

Have you run all the updates? I believe you are going to need more than just A2 to run PR:Arma. Most servers are running Arma combined operations (A2+Operation Arrowhead).

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
      Have you run all the updates? I believe you are going to need more than just A2 to run PR:Arma. Most servers are running Arma combined operations (A2+Operation Arrowhead).
      Yes, my game is fully updated, otherwise I'd have never gotten onto the server in the first place. Also shouldn't have anything to do with players teleporting around.

Comment

I assure you it is not the server. Sounds to me like your graphics settings could use some tweaking. As far as hardware goes the biggest impact on this game running smoothly is your hard drive rpm. Your video card is next. Dig around in the technical help thread or catch someone in game & ask what video settings people use. That's how I found the right settings for my machine that got rid of the same problem.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Player warping does happen in MP from time to time. However, it usually is only happens when you are looking at people over 1km away. If it is happening while you are close to someone, then it could possibly be client side. In which case, you would need to adjust your graphics settings.

That said, BIS is currently working on a new patch that implements a new system to get rid of player warping in its entirety and increase FPS in the process. This should be in the next patch.
          |TG-73rd|Socomseal
          |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

To be honest I have never seen player warping except for when I am riding in a vehicle with someone I do osionally see ai wrp but I beleieve that it is more coding than lag. If I were you I would check FPS vs lag. If it is FPS the biggest FPS improver in my experience was cpu power. When I got an aftermarket cooler for my cpu my FPS jumped about ten frames and much more consistent with out the serious frames decreases during times when the cpu was hot.

If it is not an fps issue then I would have to say it is probably in your internet connection settings if you were playing on a tactical gamer server then I will have to say that the lag is probably not from that side given that nobody that I am aware of complaints signifigantly about continuous lag as you are describing on the tg servers.

My suggestion though is like I said before try to isolate the issue my guess would be you could go into the single player editor and simply placed a few unit load the game is the game is still very laggy for you and it is definitely a client side hardware or software issue probably doing mostly with cpu gpu and ram. Also I apologize for any odd grammar or misspellings as I am using my cell phone and voice recognition

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
            The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Well, it seems like the problem is not as widespread as I was led to believe, which is great.

Also it most certainly have nothing to do with anything on my end. I'm very much aware of the difference between warping players and low fps, and while my fps isn't great (~40 on average with high settings/1920x1200), it most certainly is not low enough to cause anything of the sort. Also my connection is most certainly not the cause of it either.

I have also tried out singleplayer in arma. No warping around at all.

Comment

Latency to the server. Do a speedtest to the Austin Texas server. http://www.speedtest.net/

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

I see ai soldiers warping when I'm observing then from a very long distance (like 1.5km+). Haven't noticed it in tvt, but then I probably haven't played enough tvt to judge that.

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by ACOGRecon View Post
                    Latency to the server. Do a speedtest to the Austin Texas server. http://www.speedtest.net/
                    I was on the RIP server located in the UK with a ping of about 35. Not the issue either. However, the server was having some weird problems, so I'm guessing its simply that server having some issues.

Comment

Oh yeah bad server FPS

think of it this way

a server is basically running the game the same way you are minus a playable unit.

everything you do is sent from your computer to the server and then out to all the other players..and everything the other players do is sent to the server and then to you

now in a perfect world the server will always have a higher FPS than you do meaning that unit move fire etc data is always fresh from the server to your computer

however if the server is having FPS issues then even though your actions movement etc will be very smooth your view(since your movement data is local to you) everything else's movement data will be jerky as if you were having FPS issues only with the units since the server can not get the movement data out to you quickly enough to sync with your FPS

Comment

I tried jumping on a random mp server to see if the problem would show up there. This was what I first saw :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRhHMGKGFgk

I framerate tanked down to 20 fps while filming so its not overly smooth, but it should give an idea of what exactly I'm talking about.

Comment

The RIP server went down hard on Tuesday night. (I believe) They were reporting problems all the previous day as well. The official PR Test server also went down. Was a horrendous lag issue followed by crashing. There was a problem at the data centre, not sure if fixed. That might account for the display however.

Comment

I don't see the warping unless you mean that the players legs don't animate getting into the chopper which is normal. In fact I don't know of any game that animates that except for grand theft auto and grand theft autos graphics are sub rate compared to arma and really that doesn't break immersion all that much once you get used to it because you don't spend a whole lot of time getting in or out of vehichles

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                              Oh yeah bad server FPS

think of it this way

a server is basically running the game the same way you are minus a playable unit.

everything you do is sent from your computer to the server and then out to all the other players..and everything the other players do is sent to the server and then to you

now in a perfect world the server will always have a higher FPS than you do meaning that unit move fire etc data is always fresh from the server to your computer

however if the server is having FPS issues then even though your actions movement etc will be very smooth your view(since your movement data is local to you) everything else's movement data will be jerky as if you were having FPS issues only with the units since the server can not get the movement data out to you quickly enough to sync with your FPS
                              I think what Charles said sums it up. Along with the status of the RIP server/s.

Try joining our server again to see if there are any changes from the past.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X