Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Arma II and to playing online in general. Am I in the right place??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Arma II and to playing online in general. Am I in the right place??

Hi all

I also made a similar post to this on the BIS forums...........I'm very new to Arma II (I only played OA so far had it a couple of days, will install the main game soon), and very new to PC gaming in general.

I really love the way this game immerses you. Ive played a few other franchises which seem like toy games in comparison to this.
    I'm really keen on playing some MP as I can imagine this game really shines in that context. The most MP Ive played is a few hours on some racing games.

Im slowliy making my way through the guides, primer etc, but I have a few general questions:

1. I'm new to all this. In other words, I'm not very good yet. I intend to practice in SP to get better, but would still like to join a squad and start dipping my toes in MP. However, the game itself is more simulation than arcade, and all of the squads Ive seen do understandably seem fairly serious about playing.
    Does TG welcome newer players with less experience and lower current skill levels? I really want to find a friendly community to play in where serious fun is paramount and players of all levels are welcome. Am I likely to find that type of environment here?

2. I have a family, and work 2 jobs. I play when I can, but can't always commit to playing at certain scheduled times - does TG welcome people in such situations? I get the impression from the few squads Ive looked at that theres not much point trying to join unless you can make more solid commitments time wise

3. I assume a microphone is needed to enable better co-operation with teammates. I play in my living room with a projector and wireless KB and mouse. Not strictly an Arma question but do you know of any wireless headsets that are recommended as good quality yet not too expensive?

Thanks!

Re: New to Arma II and to playing online in general. Am I in the right place??

I must admit that I have never played Arma here on TG (or anywhere else for that matter, this will probably change when PR:A2 comes out though), but I can still give you an overview of what TG is on a general level.

First of all, I think you have sligthly misunderstood what TG is all about. It is not really a squad or a clan as such, but rather a large community with servers for a lot of games and on each of these servers we strive to play the game in a tactical, mature and teamworkoriented way. There is also inhouse squads though, which functions a bit like regular clans, but you are by no means required to join one of those.

With that in mind, every type of player is welcome at TG, as long as they stick to the rules and try and play their chosen game the TG way. Everyone can also wear the |TG| tag as long as they follow the TG primer. Therefore joining this community is as simple as reading the primer and joining a TG server. So to answer your first question: Yes, you are very likely to find that kind of environment on a TG server, since that is what TG is all about. New players are also generally welcomed. Just inform your squad that you're new to the game, and they will usually help you learn the ropes. I know that in PR we also have (or had at least) Learn TG squads that is dedicated to teaching new players.
    I think I have also pretty much answered your second question at this point. Since TG is a community, "joining" TG basically means that you like playing on TG servers, and do so regularily, so there is no kinds of requirements as to how much and when you should play.

To sum up. TG servers are basically public servers with the same quality of play that you get from a closed clan server. Its the best of both worlds. This is why I always look for a TG server whenever I start playing another multiplayer fps.

Comment

Hi Feriluce

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, its much appreciated.

Its does indeed seem that I have ended up in just the right place for me.

I'm going to continue reading the primer and other important topics and will hopefully try and join my first game as soon as I can get a headset sorted

Thanks again!

Comment

Welcome, subvert.
        Like feriluce said, I think tactical gamer will be exactly what you're looking for. As for inexperienced players, all you really need to be able to do is listen and follow instructions. There are plenty of involved and rewarding advanced things you can do in arma, but all you need to do is stay with your squad leader our fire team leader and other people can handle those things until you feel comfortable trying them out. I recommend jumping head first into mp and reserve sp for when the server's empty. I don't think you'll learn much in sp that can be applied to mp.

We probably won't see a whole lot of each other, unless you get hooked and find yourself frequently staying up past midnight ;) but if you ever see me in game, gimme a shout and I'll be glad to talk you through anything.

We occasionally have players without a mic, and while it's not optimal, it shouldn't exclude you from joining the server and trying the game out, as long as you can hear others. But I would definitely recommend getting one asap! Unfortunately, I have no suggestions :(

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome Balfa!

Ive decided to keep costs down to get a wired headset with a long enough cord. Ended up going for the Creative HS800.

I sometimes am up late, so hopefully will be able to share a game or two with you soon :)

Comment

Firstly welcome to Tactical Gamer. I believe most of the posts have answered all your questions so I will touch on some ArmA specific things.

We are very welcoming of new players. Everyone here loves to train new players so all you need to do is jump in the server and find someone to follow.

We have a few In House Squads that are ArmA specific. What These squads are, are small groups of players within TG that like to work/play together under a unique banner. They also do alot of squad training and missions. Speaking for my IHS only, we like to run small unit missions and sniper/recce team ops as that is what we specialize in.

In order to join an IHS you have to be a supporting member or "SM". All that you have to do for that is pay 8.95 a month. You get a few extra benefits and reserved slots on the servers and a load of other stuff. Now, don't read that as you have to pay to play here. That can't be farther from the truth. TG is a free and open community. You only need pay if you really want too, but no one will harass you about it or preclude you from jumping on the servers.

As for playtime requirements. There are none. This is a game, and we are an open community. Play when you want as long or short as you want. It's up to you. We are here to make friends and shoot guns ;) Not infringe on your real life.

Here in ArmA we have a small but dedicated team of admins that are here to help you anytime you need them. I am the current Game Officer (head admin as it were) and Socom is my XO. Feel free to send any of us a PM about anything. We are all very approachable and always happy to help out.

Again, welcome to TG and I look forward to gaming with you! If you have any other questions or anything feel free to keep this thread going. I'm certain you will get all the answers you need.

Btw, what kind of projector do you use?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Hi Dredge

Thanks for the additional information and welcome; I already feel right at home and haven't even played a TG game yet :)

I'll definitely consider becoming a supporting member once I've played a few games.

I use a relatively cheap Acer H5360 as I recently got into 3D. I got it mainly for 3D movies, but actually have been playing 3D games more than anything. I was a bit disappointed that Arma II didnt work well in 3D, but everything else more than makes up for it. I hope Arma III will have 3D Vision support.

We're moving house in a few months though and when we do I'll likely keep the projector in the living room, and get a 120Hz monitor for gaming (the projector is only 720p and I'd like to experience the games in higher res)

On a side note the retailer here had no stock of the headset I was going to get so I ended up getting the Razer Carcharias. Its cord is just long enough to reach my position on the sofa, but will probably get some extension leads to make the cable less like a living room tripwire :)

Hope to catch up in game soon

Comment

PS, I made it through most of the training missions in OA, though the chopper mission took me several attempts - I found it really hard.
                I have an XBOX360 wireless controller adapter, so I might try using that just for any flying - strikes me that it cant be any more difficult than using KB/mouse!

Comment

I would recommend a joystick. It's much more fun amd for me easier to fly. You can find a good one on the cheap if you look around. I have a saitek X52 and I lobe it to death.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Not that you will have to fly at all if you don't want to most missions have only a few pilot spots so you will probbly have plenty of people to fill them

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Thanks Charles. I enjoy lots of different aspects/roles so would like to try as many as I can.
                      Getting a joystick isnt a bad idea as I do like both flight games, both arcade and sim.

I was hoping to get on Bravo tonight but looks like its not going to happen.
                      I finally managed to get to the point of using Six Updater and whilst most content required for Bravo downloaded very quickly, the @TGMaps downloads are painfully slow; I'll be luck to have them down before I crash tonight.

Comment

what flight Sims do you use? as far as arma a joy stick is a good investment if you want to fly. if you are interested I hope to get a close air support and joint terminal attack controller class set up sometime in july just waiting for an ok for server time.

but if you see me on the servers feel free to ask questions I love to fly in ArmA even if its just transporting respawns back to the front since it requires flying nap of the earth and at high speed so the adrenaline pumps until you get the guys dropped off and then you realize you're only half way done

Comment

I have MSFS X but due to current arrangement with PC on the sofa which isnt ideal for anything like stick/yoke/pedals (same with wheels for driving games) I havent bothered splashing out on the hardware so most recent play has been on arcade oriented games like HAWX and Ace Combat. I used to play IL-2 a lot too.

The new MS Flight game looks like it will be great. Ive never played X-Plane though I hear it's very good.

Comment

I have xplane mfsx freefalcon and dcs a10c i love flight sims lol

I like x-plane just because the physics are calculated so much more accurately on x-plane than mfsx but its a matter of preference really as mfsx is prettier lol

Comment

Ok , so thanks to Wingman, Scarecrow and E_Leader for putting up with me on my first MP games this morning.

Went straight into Bravo with ACE and ACRE. Had a great time, absolutely loved it.
                              But still trying to get used to the basics.

I don'r fully understand how to use teamspeak, how it works with ACRE, when I need to use PTT in Teamspeak (if at all), when I need to use ACRE

Any advice regarding these basics would be great

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X