Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Bravo have a password permanently?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Bravo have a password permanently?

Yes, I believe so.

Why?
    With my time as a TG member ticking just above 2 months I do not know if this has been discussed before, but I feel the need to raise the issue. To be honest I am fed up with people who come in on Bravo who are not on TS. Just today, there was 11-12 people at Bravo when I checked. "Marvellous!" I thought and praised Rambo2 for having put up "Warcry to European players" ( http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...n-players.html) since it had produced a great turnout even at Euro-friendly time. Then I checked TS and saw that out of 12 players only 4 people were actually on TS. 4 out of 12 players was a registered TG member. 33.3% of the server. Once I saw that and Plhogios contacted me about doing some CAS/JTAC training on a server hosted by himself, it was very clear for me which would provide the least amount of cluster**** and the most amount of fun. When I finally did join Bravo and the non-TG players were gone I was confirmed by the TG players that the Takistan Domination had been an absolute mess.

It does absolutely nothing to promote the gaming experience of TG when people can't communicate properly or with ACRE. In fact it keeps people like myself and others away from it. When members are choosing not to play at their servers because of people who aren't members, something is terribly wrong and needs to be dealt with.

Therefore when people have to register in the forums and on TS to get the password I believe we have already rooted out the first of the people who disrupt the gameplay.
    |
    | |

"Kirov is boss"
    CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Re: Should Bravo have a password permanently?

Well, instead of shying away from the server, you could get on there and put some effort into showing these people the TG way.
    I initially found out about TG when I by chance joined the TG 2142 server way back. I joined some random squad because I had to, and to my surprise I found actual teamwork and tactics employed, something I'd never come across in an online shooter before. I found the experience enjoyable, and have been mostly playing on TG servers for different games since.

If every TG had your attitude back then, the server would have been passworded, or all the TG guys would have huddled together in locked IHS squads, and I would still be bunnyhopping my way through life.

I've started to see this attitude as well on the PR server lately, and I have to admit I'm not immune to it either, but I think we should all make an effort to teach new people the TG way, so they have a chance to join our community as well.

Comment

If not a password, then I suggest the mission commander is given permission to kick players who refuse to get on TeamSpeak. Some new players actually get on TS when they are told about it, but some say something like "I don't have time to register on a forum", or "I don't want to do a web-search" (when given the exact link to the TS info multiple times). I totally understand that TG wants to recruit new members and wants to be friendly to newcomers, but I think there are exceptions where a friendly kick in the butt is justified. The kicked player's life is not destroyed and he will find a new server to play on until he has the time and will to register.
      Be careful around J.B.
      He's danish.

Comment

For your information I have done that before and will do it again.

But let me ask you this question. Do you think you would have gotten the same experience that you did if you hadn't been able to communicate properly with your squad and reach the level of teamwork and tactics that you did? To me TS is nessicary to help promote the TG way in-game since chatting over side is slow, bothersome for all players and really completely unessecary when it takes about 10 minutes to setup the forums account and register their ID on TS. To me the immersion and realisation of the TG way only fully came about when I had Jacezz giving Command a sitrep and Rambo directing his fireteam at the same time. If you want to show players the TG way you should make every encouragement for them to see it fully even if it means they have to register on TS before they can log in.

As for your tortoise argument it just doesn't hold water. When Bravo was hacked the server was passworded and even then new people joined in and they were welcomed and shown the ropes.
        |
        | |

"Kirov is boss"
        CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

I think the main thing is to have an admin. I understand the frustration but I think we need to give everyone a shot, if i see a passworded server i dont try to join it just find another one because i assume there is something like a clan match going on.

I think if we focus on voting an admin when we can and making sure the server is never out of control then new comers will fall in line or leave for the most part

In that situation there was not much you could do because the chances of getting the other 2/3rds of the server to vote admin would be unlikely. but when the server is all or majority TG make sure you vote admin if one is not present. then use the collective voice of the TG players on the server speaking as one to strongly encourage the other players to join TS.

in my experience if you explain the TG way and why TS is important to it most players will give it a shot

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
          The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

I think it should be left unlocked to help get new people in. And then we could do PW nights, to play some "more realistic" games.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
            "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

I haven’t been on Bravo since it was mandated you must have Acre to be on it. That’s my decision but if we are allowing anyone on even if they are not on teamspeak, which means they are not using Acre, then perhaps I need to join the server with or without Acre as I’m helping pay for it. What gives here anyway?

Comment

Or you could use ACRE... I would never play on non-ACRE server.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

• I don't like to be kicked due to some misunderstandings. Or without a proper reason.
                  • I don't like an "Admin" bullying me to register or GTFO.
                  • I don't like the sounds of whining jet engines.

Here's a solution;

The best way to go about such problems is to use maps that utilizes our TGmap pack.
                  I'm very certain that the Domination map was in Takistan.
                  Therefore, quite a few of the new players were able to play without being auto kicked due to addon mismatches.

Or do what we all used to do, and thankfully some still do.
                  Take charge, be assertive, but be TG. Step up or shut up.
                  (this sentence is not directed to you personally only J.B)

I fully understand your frustrations J.B. But using passwords on the servers up again would just stagnate our servers.
                  You can tell by the hundreds of players that were on when we had the servers with passwords. This wasn't just this week, or a month, but for months on end. We need new players to join TG via ArmA.

PR is on the back burner/around the corner/being delivered etc, and I am certain it will awaken the PvP demons within TG to try ArmA again or for the first time.
                  But until then, and certainly afterwards. We will still return to the problem of;
                  "...wish we had enough players to try a proper combined arms mission."

Just out of curiosity, just how has the "Warcry to European players" produced a great turnout?
                  All I see is just handful of players posting their times. Nothing organized, nothing posted.
                  I know this because I have posted my timezone in the said thread.

Personally, although it is fun to play Socom missions or play the shadow with spongy boots.
                  But if I really wanted that, I'd dust off my Splinter Cell game and play solo.
                  Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 07-02-2011, 01:30 AM. Reason: more abc's

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

In all honesty, we need to be bringing in players to TG. Now, that takes work. Just like when each of you joined & needed help with all the things that weren't obvious when you came in...you might have just joined the server & needed direction to join the TS & read the forums or whether you had read the forums & joined in & needed ACE/Acre coaching...or whatever...it took work by TG'rs who helped you along.

It is the same today. Now you will learn that there is much more helping out new players than perhaps help you required. I think that is part of the deal in fostering our community. To point: a password is only going to hinder our progress here.

Further: please review the posted voted admin guide. You know if someone joins our server, gets through their first round trying to play with the team, uses "group" chat because they don't have Acre...let em have a round with us. If they don't get the concept of teamwork...give it a try. If they go & get Acre & their TS3 version has been updated so they are still global...give em' a round or two...seriously. They are making an effort & obviously are liking our style of gameplay & teamwork. I have gotten messages back in this process like "I'll get to that later" when I know if they just did what I asked it would work out much smoother, but that is their point of entry & they know what their threshold for getting in is.

Now, if you get the players that just refuse, that are looking to lone wolf, why in my time have I only had to kick so few? Because, they quickly realize this server is not for them. A mutual understanding made clear by how you handle it. No problems.

This is the work we will do to bring our server back. There is an ebb & flow to the population. If you don't like Domi & that is all that is played...don't hide away...get on the server & become the majority. If you want to build the player base don't pick a 4 player mission in prime time. If you don't want to help out new players then be prepared to play 10 player missions. Then 8. Then 4. Then ?.

When PR is released, when we get a vanilla ArmaII server running in conjunction with Arma2 Free....look out. We are on the verge of a huge player influx & will require the efforts of all of us to fit all the willing into the TG mold. It is a bumpy ride & so worth it.
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer
                    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                    189th Infantry Brigade Member
                    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Thanks for your post J.B. Sorry your getting beat on…however I agree with you buddy. Oh and don’t talk or post about client side servers either…they are frowned upon by this establishment http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-so...t-servers.html Understand everyone does it but we don’t tell anyone…lol The message is get Acre, get on Bravo or get lost.

New but related subj: I’d like to know how much Alpha is used…how many players, how much time etc. Would assume there are server logs that have this data. My guess is it is empty most of the time if not all the time. It appears to me as a totally wasted asset as it is now. We know the public get on Bravo because of mods but not because of Acre. So why not have Alpha mirror Bravo except password protect Bravo and mandate the use of Acre on Bravo. Alpha would be open to the public without a password as it is now and Acre would be optional. Wouldn’t this satisfy everyone’s desires?

Comment

ACRE + VON on the same server with ACRE being optional. Wow, that would be a catastrophe. Zap, I understand (please everyone note I do not speak for the admin team) your want for clientside servers and the benefits that brings, but damn man. The whole reason we are here as a community is because we share a certain set of interests in a certain play style. The population voted that ACRE should be on Bravo. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. As an admin I tried to preserve as much freedom of speech and opinion as I could, but Zap you are beating a dead horse on this. It's not my place to say who should stay or go, I can speak for myself and say get over it, move on. If one community isn't for you then move on, there are more fish in the sea.

Now, from a mission making standpoint if we were to mirror Bravo and Alpha where would we get the non ACRE versions from? I don't have the time nor the interest to re-edit the 50 or 60 so missions of mine on the server. I can't speak for anyone else, but it would be a pain in the ass. The way the servers are setup now are a good compromise. The heart of the issue here is how we indoctrinate players. If a player refuses to get on TS, insta kick/ban. If a player uses VON to circumvent ACRE, insta kick/ban.

Anyways, so far as server population logging see these:

Alpha: http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/133701
                        Bravo: http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/133790
                        Charlie: http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/135657
                        Note: all times are GMT

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

No there shouldnt be a password. If you want to attract more players to TG a password isnt going to help it at all. I do think it's reasonable to make people be on TS to stay on the server.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Hang in there Zapp, Acog is right and I know how you feel, I am saying hang in there because if Alpha starts to populate you will have the company you have been looking for. Bravo server is filling the need for those that like modded additions for Arma, Alpha is there for those that don't need the mods. I haven't been on alpha as late because of my time restaints and other issues. And I am sure once Alpha becomes known as a Vanilla server of this community, you will see it become utilized more frequently.

Now when we switched from Yoma to Sixupdater, a few players, old and new didn't bother to included Alpha server in their preset area of six, so I am thinking, out of sight, out of mind. Now the new players are jumping on Bravo, which is good, but I think they should be directed to spend time on Alpha from time to time, to work on anything, non-mod related that they feel would help them with their learning curve.

I am not an Admin and I am not speaking on their behalf, just how I see things. I like the Modded server, Bravo, but also like the Vanilla server, Alpha. I would like to see it fill up, but time will tell, Zapp. Start seeding and you will have lots of Company.

The way the Admins have the passwords set up for the servers as present should not be changed, because this has worked in the past. Bravo is passworded M thru F and passworded S and Sunday. And they changed this according to scheduled events for the community. If members and nonmembers take the time to read the SOB's and other material available disruptions to the servers and players would be less frequent.

When you go to someone's house for dinner make sure you knock on the door with your feet.

Comment

Just to be sure and be clear about Acre/TS3 being mandatory on Bravo:

My previous post in this thread is a call for tolerance for people who just join the non-passworded server. They should be politely directed to the forums to sign up and to get the proper TS3 & Acre versions. They can also be told we have an Alpha server as well that uses VON.

I guess the only thing I worry about is that I have very rarely had to deliver ultimatums and have seen them delivered for me by other players. When things are getting very busy, when we have a large number of new players my approach will have to be streamlined. I have no doubt of that. Again, it goes back to our previous discussion in another thread about whether or not voted admins should be kicking.

J.B. I hope you didn't take my post as me giving you the beats. If it was taken that way I fully appologize. It's just I do fully disagree with a password. You better believe I enjoyed the breathing room while the password was implemented...much easier for me!! But, not so good for our poplulation.
                              |TG-189th| Unkl
                              ArmA 3 Game Officer
                              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                              189th Infantry Brigade Member
                              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X