Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Bravo have a password permanently?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should Bravo have a password permanently?

We need to bounce back into what this thread is about, and not sway from it into a "Why do we have ACRE" thread. ZAP, if you want to discuss ACRE and your feelings towards it, make a thread. That way we can keep ARMA's forums organized and threads to the point.

It does absolutely nothing to promote the gaming experience of TG when people can't communicate properly or with ACRE. In fact it keeps people like myself and others away from it. When members are choosing not to play at their servers because of people who aren't members, something is terribly wrong and needs to be dealt with.
    J.B: I'm not going to bother beating around the bush with this. Be a part of the community and help out the new players, give them the TeamSpeak information! If the persons that helped you with getting your mods straight and getting you registered had the same mindset of quarantining the newbies TG wouldn't have half of it's playerbase.

We are not some elitist group of players, and we've got to realize that. Seeding, and helping are great ways to get involved and get a bigger playerbase, not complaining about it on threads.

It might seem rude, but that's my 3 cents on the matter.

I'll try and type up some guides for this. But in the meantime, just do what comes naturally, and help rather than distance yourself.

- Warrior.
    |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
    Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
    We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
    And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
    He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Comment

When I sluff work and want to play ARMA, it would be nice to have an influx of players. When it's midnight and I want to play ARMA it would be nice to have an influx of players. A bottleneck I see is that we need to do a better job of getting a return on our investment.
      When I first joined the server I had players helping me work out the bugs of ACRE and TS. I think most that do find the server for the first time want a teamwork/tactical experience. I would like to help them get set up. I know about the hitchhikers guide; however, I think it would be beneficial for there to be a quick troubleshooting guide (if there is one, please let me know where to find it; if not what can I do to help?) for all TG'ers to access so we can help the newcomers. As of right now, I don't have all the knowledge or the tools to help someone that wants to join that may be having problems getting their ACRE or TS connecting.

Comment

I just posted a guide specifically for getting new players ready for the Hitchhiker's guide. Hopefully it will help. I'll make changes if necessary.
        |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
        Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
        We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
        And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
        He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Comment

Well the thread is about Acre and the fact only 4 of 12 people on Bravo were on TS therefore using Acre so I am on subject. Please don’t take this personal guys…I support you having Acre. But I feel screwed by choosing not to use Acre and therefore not going on Bravo only to find out half the ArmA world is on that sever without Acre. I’d like a mod server without Acre OK. Yes I hear you Acog but I’m thinking .80 Lingor Insurgency and such. There is plenty of stuff out there besides what was developed in house. My last post this issue…carry on

Edit: Thanks for the server data Acog...proves Alpha is a wasted asset

Comment

Originally posted by ZAP44 View Post
            Thanks for your post J.B. Sorry your getting beat on…however I agree with you buddy. Oh and don’t talk or post about client side servers either…they are frowned upon by this establishment http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-so...t-servers.html Understand everyone does it but we don’t tell anyone…lol The message is get Acre, get on Bravo or get lost.

New but related subj: I’d like to know how much Alpha is used…how many players, how much time etc. Would assume there are server logs that have this data. My guess is it is empty most of the time if not all the time. It appears to me as a totally wasted asset as it is now. We know the public get on Bravo because of mods but not because of Acre. So why not have Alpha mirror Bravo except password protect Bravo and mandate the use of Acre on Bravo. Alpha would be open to the public without a password as it is now and Acre would be optional. Wouldn’t this satisfy everyone’s desires?

Damn...that's a he'll of an idea!! Never really thought of that.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Servers being empty or not, whether it has ACRE or not, ACE or not, flying cows or not, passworded or not.

People will always join the more populated servers in ArmA.
              This precise issue was raised literally hundreds of times since ArmA-I days, and during it. It is a fact. There are no doubts about it.

ZAP44, it is really unfortunate for you to not use ACRE at all. I see it this way.
              The servers out there that do not require ACRE are generally Domination/Insurgency/AAS/Default-Vanilla servers.
              Generally, unruly bunch. If you guys think that some of our days are a total cluster foxtrot. You haven't seen anything.

The servers that use ACRE are more team/tactical oriented. Afterall, what is the point of installing and running ACRE?
              I certainly don't want to communicate via text, I'd rather use it for my own personal notepad. (You vets out there know what I'm talking about)

I really hope that you give ACRE another try and see if you like it now. Before it was a nightmare but that was then.

Also, this thread is about servers with or without passwords. Not ACRE.
              Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 07-02-2011, 05:36 PM. Reason: more xyz

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

This is Scarecrow, I was the Admin at the time J.B. was refering to in his OP. I repeated the teamspeak requests multiple times across several channels and pointed people to the forums frequently. Some did look into it, but others ignored me completely, and things really got out of hand due to people not slotting into the same squads (which was impossible on the 2.57y taki domi) Also people were taking random assets to the main target while the main group of us were working on sides without regard to any request not to. So I made a judgement and swapped over to the Lingor tactical domi. This auto booted just about everyone except our regulars as they did not have TGMaps. Though this may not of been the proper call I felt it was better than kicking the non-complaint players.

Locking the server at first seemed like a good idea but it certainly wont help our numbers grow at all. For me the idea comes from a selfish part wanting to preserve the coordinated way I like to play instead of a free for fall.
                Now I am aware some of you believe Domi itself fuels that kind of play-style and maybe to a point it does but it can be done as tactical as any other mission out there.

I guess in the end what do I do after I've tried several times to get someone on our teamspeak, and get no reply at? I personally could deal with someone not in a leadership role wandering in the squads not on TS or with no mic (Flakt does a good job at this). The problem was these people were unresponsive all together.
                Scarecrow of Arma2 Bravo Server

Comment

If you do not have Bravo server set in the Preset-Dynamic area of six you will not have TG maps loaded properly, which will kick you from server. You have to do one step past Dredge's instructions concerning Sixupdater, and that is to set the Bravo server in the Preset-Dynamic area- Convert to Six- Install or update. This has been the only resolution in the past to have your TG maps to download and get you able to play on the Bravo server. I also recommend you to make a desktop Icon for Bravo that will start Six-- start Arma2-- and then Shut Sixupdater down.

Comment

Everyone keep it civil or things will get locked and warnings/infractions will follow. This is a good debate that affects all the players here. Keep it constructive and keep it clean.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Hi guys

FWIW I thought I would offer the perspective of a new member.

I was one of the TS enabled players in the game that JB referred to in his initial post, and it was indeed rather chaotic. Not the best experience at all. Several times, myself and others repeatedly provided friendly encouragement for others to get TS setup, including proving links to pages on TG, but all our pleas were simply ignored.
                      It was frustrating because due to my other commitments, my game time is pretty scarce and much of that session felt wasted.

Now, heres perhaps the interesting bit for TG: yesterday I had a couple of hours I could play, and was encouraged to see 7 players on Bravo. Fantastic I thought, but then saw there was not a single one on TS. It immediately discouraged me and I didnt even consider joining the game. Instead, I looked for other servers and communities recommended in dslyecxis guide and found UO.
                      I joined the community there and proceeded to play a really fantastic game, on a server that was password protected where all players were using TS. It made such a huge difference.

Now, I'm not at all assuming that setting a password is the solution, but Im just offering my perspective as a newcomer that having all players on TS is a big issue, and when it doesnt happen, newcomers like me who genuinely want a great fun sim experience vs just a shootfest are immediately discouraged.

Comment

This is one of the reasons I don't play here as much as i used to. Everyone playing on the TG server needs to have a mic and be on TS for us to play properly. How does a CO and SL properly give commands and receive information without every player being able to communicate? Why are we afraid to say.... If you want to play here you have to be on TS.

Comment

FWIW; I see this as a problem of admin coverage. Lets look at a few basic things here;

ArmA2 is an expensive game to host. As such, it needs a decent amount of SM contribution to keep it going. Right now ArmA2 only exists here due to heavy SM participation from other games. The only way to increase the population for ArmA2 here is to allow some level of openness for new players. That won't happen with servers that are passworded and locked down.

ArmA2 needs admin presence to deal with problem players. This goes for EVERY game we have here at TG. If an admin isn't around, things can get crazy quick. If an admin was available during these problem nights, the players could have been dealt with. Only by providing an admin-monitored server will you see the population grow with the right type of players.

We have games here at TG that have tried to operate with closed models. They always end up disappearing relatively quickly because they can't attract new gamers. There are plenty of people out there looking for a TG-like experience, but unless the server is managed in a manner that is conducive to bringing them in, you won't see the population grow.

As far as things like ACRE and ACE go; these things ARE barriers to entry for new gamers. A few months ago I tried to get some people at work involved as I thought it would be a game they would really enjoy. I didn't get a SINGLE person to play because getting involved was "too confusing" or they "don't have time to go through all that to play".

As a solution we have the Alpha server. It has a low barrier to entry but if it just sits idle with no one playing/seeding, it will stay that way. Empty servers breed empty servers.

There is also a serious lack of coordinated and advertised events. During the infancy of other titles here, we saw clear growth of the title through scheduled events. The key here is to NOT only advertise the event within your own internal player base. Get something written up for the front page, get it submitted to Warlab to get posted, have a clear plan as to what the event is about and when it is happening. If you wan't growth, don't force all the events into a heavily modded server. That works fine when you have a dense population already; but not with the current population we see from TG's ArmA2 servers.

In regards to the Bravo server alone; the documentation to get people started is VERY difficult to follow for a new player. It needs to be re-written from scratch BADLY. I know this game and the engine quite well and it even confuses me.

I'm a firm believer in addressing the cause of concerns rather than the effects. Personally; I think some attention needs to be paid to the causes of all these problems vs. the effects.

TLDNR Version:

1) Drastically increase the size and mission of the admin team to make sure the servers have coverage.

2) Create scheduled events that are promoted on the front page, as well as general forums and even the BIS forums.

3) Provide intro events on the Alpha server to bring new players to TG with a low barrier to entry. Get the involved and then ease them into the Bravo environment.

4) Replace 100% of all the documentation with NEW documentation that is CLEAR to new gamers. And it shouldn't feel like a "choose your own adventure" book when you're trying to get through it.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I would think TS/ACRE is required to play on the Bravo server - isn't that the whole point? I thought the Alpha server was for "general" use and the Bravo was for the more mission oriented, TS based community.

I would agree that to get people to join in on ARMA there has to be a large enough admin team to help people learn and set up the game.

As for being hard to set up and all that - I can understand people having a barrier to entry just based on the time and effort required. I can't play right now because my gear and PC are in a crate being moved to Colorado - laptop doesn't even come close to playing ARMA (another barrier to joining).
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, Acre/TS3 is required to play on Bravo...I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise unless statements were taken out of context.

Also, I love the idea of more admin. I've been trying to get away for about 2 hours now and there is non-stop stuff to do. It (edit: I instead of It lolz) stinks knowing there are about 3-4 players right now in various stages of set up & I have to go.

The last time we did a big push to move our players to Alpha it did work very well at growing our population. That is a great way for us to to get new players with less setup time immediately required by admin.

We have an event that is so very close to posting. Sooo close we figure one more test to run. We need to get the Charlie ACE updated & run the test. BlackPython has been working like crazy getting this ready for us. Give him a pep talk when you see him!
                              Last edited by Unkl; 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM.
                              |TG-189th| Unkl
                              ArmA 3 Game Officer
                              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                              189th Infantry Brigade Member
                              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Thanks for your post APOPHIS, I agree.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X