Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] J.B.'s TG Tactical Domination Guide

J.B.'s TG Tactical Domination Guide v.0.5

I have been trying to write a guide on more or less how I believe Domination can be played in a TG-manner. This involves setting parameters in a way that supports a tactical and realistic approach, how the slot screen should be organized, what roles and abilities that would be available and a few pointers. Some may have noticed during the last couple of weeks how I prefer to play Domination and this guide is an attempt to get that preference onto paper. It is still a draft and I am not finished yet, so please bear that in mind as you ruthlessly cut me down. (Joke)

To make the introduction short here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...V8YX7zyPw/edit

- Credit goes to Flakt and Phlogios who have been helping with discussions and ideas.

Criticism is greatly welcomed.
    |
    | |

"Kirov is boss"
    CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Re: J.B.'s TG Tactical Domination Guide

Very good start JB. Thanks for giving and taking the time to do so.

Comment

This makes me drool for some real tactical "not-everyone-has-to-shoot" gameplay! If I can suggest 2 things:
      1. As far as NVG's go, the Pilots, SL's?, and the Special forces, should all be allowed to carry nvg's. just a small thought anyway.
      2. Make all Squad members get rid of their maps. they don't need to know where they are. and I think it adds to the immersion.

I can't wait to see what v.0.6 has in it. Good write-up.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
      "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

I see your point about the NVGs, but it is meant for the Hardcore setting so it should be restricted to pilots only using NVGs if set to "No NVGs - No" in the parameters. You could still apply it to the standard setting and make a small compromise between the two settings. But I do hold on to having Hardcore mean no NVGs at all or NVGs for pilots only.

Removing the maps is a great idea for the Hardcore setting. I'll make sure to add that.
        Last edited by J.B.; 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM. Reason: Refrasing
        |
        | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Give me some time and I am sure I can figure out how to do some of this perhaps even a parameter to take away maps from certain people and what not, my first fallujah domi release doesnt have a finished restricted weapons list but I am still working on that. It would be easy to to redo the roles and whatnot, and i already changed the default parameters to what you listed anyways.
          Scarecrow of Arma2 Bravo Server

Comment

Hopefully JB your mission planning section is more extensive, since after yesterdays "epic-san isabel-LZHELLHOLE-attack-from-the-sky" operation ended in total annihilation of all said members involved :D

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Well.... Shock and Awe requires some casualties and my expectation of success could be seen from the aptly named LZ HELLHOLE.

But, just imagine if we had pulled it off! Kodak moment and international stardom would await us. We would be rock stars in all of the tactical communities. Epic!
              |
              | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Originally posted by Shoomfie View Post
                Make all Squad members get rid of their maps. they don't need to know where they are. and I think it adds to the immersion.
                Please dont. Its extremely annoying not to have a map handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
                  Please dont. Its extremely annoying not to have a map handy.
                  getting rid of maps only works if you have organized squads, and a good SL. I think that if you're playing in hardcore mode, it'd be worth the risk for the added immersion. and always remember, you can hawk a map off of a dead Opfor, if your that desperate. From what I understand, "standard"/veteran mode, is more likely to be played more often. However when the server becomes well admin'd, seeded and organized (all at the same time), I wouldn't mind playing a hardcore mode, with no map, so long as my SL, knows what he's doing.

Another thing that I was noticing on old domi, was that everytime there was a "FOB" built, it was dropped in via Chinook, deployed, (mission accomplished), undeployed, lifted via Chinook again. and all those other tacticool tools at base, (Urals, ambulance, Fuel, Heavy weapons transports, etc), had no use what-so-ever, making the FOB more of a spawn-and-go. So I was thinking... It's be super cool to do what we did with the last MSO: sign in to FOB's. That way, you'd have to build up your FOB and leave it there, and transport out via air/veh/Ural/etc. and use the FOB more as a rally point.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                  "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

I defiantly like that MSO thing idea!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

getting rid of maps only works if you have organized squads, and a good SL. I think that if you're playing in hardcore mode, it'd be worth the risk for the added immersion. and always remember, you can hawk a map off of a dead Opfor, if your that desperate. From what I understand, "standard"/veteran mode, is more likely to be played more often. However when the server becomes well admin'd, seeded and organized (all at the same time), I wouldn't mind playing a hardcore mode, with no map, so long as my SL, knows what he's doing.
                      +1

Another thing that I was noticing on old domi, was that everytime there was a "FOB" built, it was dropped in via Chinook, deployed, (mission accomplished), undeployed, lifted via Chinook again. and all those other tacticool tools at base, (Urals, ambulance, Fuel, Heavy weapons transports, etc), had no use what-so-ever, making the FOB more of a spawn-and-go. So I was thinking... It's be super cool to do what we did with the last MSO: sign in to FOB's. That way, you'd have to build up your FOB and leave it there, and transport out via air/veh/Ural/etc. and use the FOB more as a rally point.
                      We are very much on the same wavelength, Shoomfie!
                      |
                      | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Placing the FOBs as how Shoomfie stated it would make them be placed more tactically. Near/in major cities, and other landmarks. Point being, if we implemented said system, we'd have a more tactical and logistical game play for all.
                        |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
                        Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
                        We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
                        And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
                        He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Comment

I dont see how not having a map adds to immersion. The only thing it does, imo, is add annoyance. The GPS and the NVG I sorta get. Standard forces probably dont have those.
                          Maps I dont get. I'm sure its pretty commonplace to carry some sort of map of where you are. Glowsticks I dont get either. Why would you willingly make yourself light up like a christmas tree in the dark when enemies is around?

Comment

The hardcore mode is a mode that emphasizes on low-tech methods, equipment and use there of. The point in removing maps is to give more responsibility to the leader in navigating, manoeuvring and general skills. It would also give an extra nudge in regards to teamplay as better coordination in between the leaders and members would be required.

Glowsticks in ArmA doesn't light you up like a Christmas tree, so it can be used to keep formations, movement, recognition and overall command and control run much smoother when it is pitch black. I have already done this with a 2-FT-squad (being the most amount of players) and it worked out very well.
                            |
                            | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

I'd just like to point out that domination is a filler mode for the server. Trying to play tactical domi only really works when you have a full server and by that point most will want a real mission instead, or have the missions got so outdated that domi is the only thing left?

I've said this all the time Domination is not a tactical game/mode, the whole purpose is to give the 2 or 3 people on the server something to do while they wait for more, having a "hardcore" domi mission up and only having 3 people is annoying, even worse when they have no clue where or what they are doing.

I havn't been on the server in awhile but I hope that there is something better to do than play domi all day

Edit

Just to note, not saying its a bad idea, I like what you've come up with, but real missions are so much better

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X