Help with Single Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Single Player

As a nub to this game I wanted to get a proper feel for it in the Single Player before hoping on line and embarrassing myself. Mostly I wanted to at least get the controls down pat (I run a G-13 so every game I play has a 'sort out best control scheme' time). I've gotten past the earliest missions, never killed the Sniper in Cherborg much to my dismay, and am now searching the cities for the people who killed Myles.

Any tips (but not direct explanations) at how to proceed? I did a quick search of Elecktrostodvok (or w/e) and found nothing. Also is it just me or are the AI buddies really really clunky?

Also, as I normally play a game on HARD first... I am doing so for AAII... and dying a lot to enemies that I could never possibly have expected... any tips for the single player?

Re: Help with Single Player

Take it slow and keep scanning and yes, the AIs are clunky. (Unless you're using ACEII mod with the game. But if you do, it would be a bit difficult in reverting back to missions without the ACEII mod)
    Since it's vanilla ARMA2, and the AIs can see you through foliage you gotta be extra careful. Your players stance is important not only as a firing position but your detection levels too. Oh and the AI's picks up vehicle signatures way more than infantry would.

There are alot of ARMA2 tweak client side addons out there. Primarily in this forum. But remember to turn them off in our servers. Only run mods that are in our SixUpdater list. Otherwise, you may find yourself guilty of ruining everyone's game.

As far as I can recall, you can also play the campaign mission via multi-player mode with other players together hosting it on your own PC. Perhaps you can try that?

I can't think of much besides those suggestions ....for now.

Welcome to ARMA2 world! Ytman

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Just as LSHD said, take it slow and be patient. The singleplayer is an okay way to get used to the game and its feel; however, it will provide little to no assistance in learning the way the game plays multiplayer. Yes they're still bots on COOP, but with the addition of AI Tweaking addons and scripts, they'll be smarter and less clunky opponents. Also, its a lot 'easier' to deal with real life people than AI. I mean easier by means of, they'll listen and understand, while AI have codes that they need to comprehend and sometimes these codes are poorly written or just cannot cope to well with the complexity of the game world.

Oh and good to see you again Ytman! Can't wait to see you in game once I get my household sorted out and get my computer back up an operational!
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

To be honest, I really didnt bother with SP ever again after a few missions. The MP expeierence is totally different, and in my opinion, much much better.

Comment

Single player is ok, but you are alone and your are making your learning curve longer than necessary. We do have an Alpha server with no mods, and if you hop on there, someone will most probably hop on with you and help you were you need it. We are very intuned to helping new players and don't look down on anybody willing to learn. It's a long learning curve and we are all learning. As you progress you can then go to our modded server, which is Bravo, but first start on Alpha. We all started from the beginning also.

Comment

I'd actually recommend just hopping onto bravo as soon as you have the basic infantry controls down. If there is something you're having problems with, you can pretty much just ask anyone and they'll generally be helpful. Thats what I did, and it seems to have worked.

Comment

Mirroring the comments above, the singleplayer isn't amazingly designed and the Ai team mates will let you down frequently - best thing to do is find a few friends that would be willing to play through it with you or just jump onto bravo, learn by doing and ask questions as you go along.

I'm still due to arrange a TGU class also, unfortunately work has been extra awful though recently, haven't had time to sort anything out yet

Comment

Don't play single player. Using ACE breaks a portion of the SP campaign. The best way to learn the game is to just get on the server.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

also...If you didn't know...you can load up the mission editor and play around with it like a sandbox. It's fairly intuitive to place single enemy units or enemy groups on the map and then have at it with any weapons system you might want to figure out. Place some enemies (air, armor, men) and place an ammo crate or set yourself up in a vehicle or aircraft. If you like what you've set up you can even save it to your mission list and come back to it again and again. I've got a bunch of these saved and when the servers are slow or I feel like practicing I go on and select on of these missions. I've got a cqb one, a CAS one, a kill the trucks one...etc etc.

But ....all in all...the other posters are on target...MP is the way to go and we love new players, especially when we form up and assign someone to point position on patrol.

Good to see you in the ARMA universe YT...
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I know everyone has said this already, but it's worth repeating over and over... Anything you learn in SP will not generally be useable knowledge once you're playing MP. Far and away your best course of action would be to get six updater, get your mods sorted out (grab us in ts if you need help) and jump on the bravo server. The only thing you'll need to know is your ts key so you can talk to us. Everything else can be taught in game :)

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Crouch when you're in an urban area, especially when going past windows. Stick to a building side/wall otherwise, you might as well strap on a blare horn announcing yourself to every tango in the vicinity.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Agreeing with those agreeing with those also agreeing.... did i get that right...?

Just hop on the Bravo server after installing via SixUpdater. Learn there. People are happy to help and chuckle at the new kid when we convince him or her that you hit "9" to deploy parachute.... :)
                        Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                        A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

I got maybe 30% through the SP training before hopping on bravo and havent looked back since!

Comment

I agree with that Phyton!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse