Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

    Hi guys, im facing problems when flying Helicopter in arma2. You guys mind sharing what is the best configuration for Keyboard and mouse? im having difficulties figuring it out.

    Here's my settings, am i using the right settings? having some issues for landing and maneuver :(

    Bank left/right = Mouse Left/right
    Nose up/down = Mouse up/down
    Pedal left/right = A and D

    Does DPI affect flying in this game? i do know flying requires alot practice and i'm doing it daily, im having some difficulties doing maneuver whenever i try to make a fast left/right maneuver turn for LZ i missed and for attack heli i like to do a "Break off" whenever i fire missiles, which means i will fly near the targets and fire FEAR aka Hydra and quickly make a left/right quick maneuver turn away to avoid getting hit and RTB. I cant do that :( anyone willing to share your flying experiences and guide me?

    I know TG has alot of veterans and ive been in your server, its really awesome community so i approach u guys

  • #2
    Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

    I do, I use the default key presses. Just takes a bit of practice but you'll get the hang of it.

    The keys that I mostly use are: W,S,A,D,Z, X,C.
    W: Nose down
    S: Nose up / Raise altitude
    A: Bank left
    D: Bank right
    Z: Lower altitude
    X: Pedal left
    C: Pedal right

    The DPI in mouse does effect the flying. The Helicopter/Planes will react much faster but that is your own personal setting.

    As for not getting shot down. There are many ways but, primarily and ideally. One should come in from a decent altitude and vector into the target. Once you have unleashed your weapons on target pop some chaffs/flares and continue on the same path or break off in the direction best advised by the JTAC. It is never a good idea to use AutoHover unless you're deploying ACE Fast ropes. Try to keep yourself from using that feature. It will lend to a better piloting skills. Try not to hover or in another words be a static target. Specially around known danger areas. Unless you're flying an AH64 Apache using laser guided weapons to target contacts from behind a terrain to mask your helo. Even then you should be aware of RPGs, to any AA manpads.

    Welcome to TG and you should join us for a game or two. You'll get the idea of how we try to do it online with others in Multiplayer games.

    TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

    Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

      a word on auto hover and why its not a good idea..once while playing Warfare i was auto hovering over a ride with my gunner looking down onto the AO, suddenly i was dead...a player sniper had shot me with a sniper rifle through the window..the apache crashed..one bullet for one apache because i was a static target



      Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

        I actually had better luck flying a helicopter using my dualshock gamepad than I did using a mouse and a keyboard. If you have that option available to you, you might wanna try it.

        Tearing structurally-superfluous new behinds with high caliber weapons since 2006.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

          Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
          I do, I use the default key presses. Just takes a bit of practice but you'll get the hang of it.

          The keys that I mostly use are: W,S,A,D,Z, X,C.
          W: Nose down
          S: Nose up / Raise altitude
          A: Bank left
          D: Bank right
          Z: Lower altitude
          X: Pedal left
          C: Pedal right

          The DPI in mouse does effect the flying. The Helicopter/Planes will react much faster but that is your own personal setting.

          As for not getting shot down. There are many ways but, primarily and ideally. One should come in from a decent altitude and vector into the target. Once you have unleashed your weapons on target pop some chaffs/flares and continue on the same path or break off in the direction best advised by the JTAC. It is never a good idea to use AutoHover unless you're deploying ACE Fast ropes. Try to keep yourself from using that feature. It will lend to a better piloting skills. Try not to hover or in another words be a static target. Specially around known danger areas. Unless you're flying an AH64 Apache using laser guided weapons to target contacts from behind a terrain to mask your helo. Even then you should be aware of RPGs, to any AA manpads.

          Welcome to TG and you should join us for a game or two. You'll get the idea of how we try to do it online with others in Multiplayer games.
          Hi there Admin :) so you are not using mouse to fly, is it easier to use keyboard to bank left and right or use the mouse to bank left/right? i don't like to use auto hover and i wanna learn it the hard or soft way myself to gain experience, i just found out that my in-game Axis X and Y are all minimum and i felt the turning very stiff and in order to bank Left/Right i need to keep gliding my mouse repeatly but after i change it to max Axis X and Y its alot easier to make turns ^^

          I saw some videos on youtube including TG gameplay it's awesome and i notice some experience pilot doing the fast landing which is very fast and efficient. I do know how they do it, its by pitching up (nose up) and do a powerful brake and decrease the speed greatly to slow it down and balance the heli and land but i suck at it haha! the problem im facing are landing way too much over the LZ >.< i will join TG server and learn more from you guys. Last but not least thanks alot and appreciate your time to explain to me.

          Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
          a word on auto hover and why its not a good idea..once while playing Warfare i was auto hovering over a ride with my gunner looking down onto the AO, suddenly i was dead...a player sniper had shot me with a sniper rifle through the window..the apache crashed..one bullet for one apache because i was a static target
          I understand what you mean, its never a good idea to hover stationary at a spot for too long. That's why i like to do a quick hover and fire AGM Hellfire and do a quick break off to prevent any **** to happen haha.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

            I fly with a mouse. Have no problem with it at all. I do not like the auto hover since it will raise your altitude very quick. Mostly I use auto hover at already high altitudes. Banking left or right and lowering your altitude is for me the best way to reduce airspeed quickly without climbing to much and exposing your self to much.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

              to reduce speed with out gaining altitude do a quick 180 degree over the LZ, it takes some practice to do with out crashing so practice in SP, but once you get the hang of it, its the best way



              Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
              The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                Really appreciate all the information and guides from you guys =) i'm starting to get used to the flying and just need to polish my landing skill more haha! maybe im used to Project Reality flying easy flying and arma this simulator is utterly different.

                By the way Admin or anybody here, i got 1 more question! im using Arma2: Combined Operations, how do i combine both the original Arma2 and Arma2: OA together? do i need to patch Arma2 first and then follow by patch OA? ive read some info on Armaholic.com and they included a solution but im not sure is it for Arma2: Combined Operations

                Here's the info i found

                Manual installation creating Arma 2: Combined Operations
                Step 1: Uninstall ArmA2 and OA. Make Backups of your Modfolders.
                Step 2: Install ArmA2 and run it once.
                Step 3: Install OA. When asked where to install to, install it into the same folder as ArmA2.
                Step 4: Install BAF (if applicable)
                Step 5: Install PMC (if applicable)
                Step 6: Install the latest OA Patch (patches also A2 + BAF + PMC).

                Sample for Step 3:
                If you have installed ArmA2 in c:\games\arma2, then you must install OA into c:\games\arma2 as well and not in c:\games\oa!

                link: http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=11543&d=0

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                  Sorry for a potential hijack, but anyone have problems with ACRE on the Bravo server?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                    Originally posted by sapientiea View Post
                    Sorry for a potential hijack, but anyone have problems with ACRE on the Bravo server?
                    There is already a thread about that, it's being looked into.
                    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...re-issues.html


                    I personally use a joystick and my ch rudder pedals as it's more natural I just find the overal physics of the helis hard to get the hang of as it's totally wrong compared to real life and very arcadey.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                      Originally posted by Deadly Dave View Post
                      I personally use a joystick and my ch rudder pedals as it's more natural I just find the overal physics of the helis hard to get the hang of as it's totally wrong compared to real life and very arcadey.
                      I second that! haha finally someone agree on this, i find the physics very weird too and some maneuver i tried don't work in arma but its ok i love this game :) imo the only thing i dislike about Kb+mouse flying is the mouse unnatural and over sensitive, my heli wobble due to the game sensitivity

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                        Bit off topic but if you want good helicopter physics and have FSX I highly recommend the dodosim 206b bell helicopter there is no better out there which I have a lot of hours flying in (100 +) that's why I find arma2 helicopters not easy and totally different as expected.

                        As for combining OA and A2 together in your OA root folder there should be an exe file of something like RunA2CO.exe it will patch them together for you just make sure you use that exe as your shortcut/launch icon. This is what I did for the steam version.

                        Regards
                        Dave

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                          I tried using my joystick to fly in this game.. I gave up after a day and stuck with keyboard. As much as I enjoy flying, I can get the job done with the keyboard, so for now I stick to that with the default settings.
                          Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                          A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                            I, Warrior, use a keyboard and mouse to fly a helicopter.

                            I don't plan on buying a joystick, as I have had no problems with this rudimentary system of aviation.

                            I doubt I'll get a joystick, as I already get weird glances from company when they see my second monitor, I think a joystick would make me look a tad bit /too/ nerdy.
                            |

                            Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
                            Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
                            We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
                            And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
                            He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Anyone flying Heli using Mouse and Keyboard?

                              Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                              to reduce speed with out gaining altitude do a quick 180 degree over the LZ, it takes some practice to do with out crashing so practice in SP, but once you get the hang of it, its the best way
                              Transport helo's

                              In addition you can 'flare' using the bottom of the aircraft as an airbrake. Head towards the target at speed, roll the aircraft on its side and then whilst in that position pull back hard, you will bleed airspeed rapidly. As you hover near side on to the ground massively increase thrust, very briefly. The thrust counters your forward momentum, stopping you 'sliding forward' in the air. Almost immediatiely roll the aircraft back upright and correct, rapidly decreasing thrust to ensure you don't gain altitude. You should be at a near stop, you should then be able to steer using the 'pedals' ie turn on the spot as you will (if you pull it off) have slowed to a near stand still. Easiest with a joystick but no doubt some can do it with mouse and keyboard.

                              I am no great shakes in a helo but when I used to practice this regularly I got to a stage where I could do a flared landing on a roof eventually. I would come in low between buildings and then pull that manoeuvre. Eventually you could do it at about half to 3/4 top speed. Very tricky though and there were a lot of fireballs involved. I bet one of our decent pilots could do it more consistently.


                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X