The Mission Idea Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mission Idea Thread

I started looking into mission making about a week ago, and since then I've made two quite basic missions. I am, however, not really sure what to work on next, so I would like some input on what types of missions people would like to see more of. I'm sure other mission makers would like that input as well, so I thought a thread like this could be a good place to consolidate what people would like to see on the server.
    So. I'd like to encourage everyone to post what types of missions they'd like to see, any concrete mission ideas they'd like to see realized, or even feedback to the missions thats already on bravo.

Personally, I'd like to see less infantry only and more combined arms stuff, so I try to incorporate that into the missions I make.

On a bit of an unrelated note, I'd really love to see more islands brought to TGMaps. Fallujah added a lot of variation, and a whole new type gameplay. I'd like to see even more options added with different styles of islands. Some sort of winter terrain, or a more open terrain with rolling hills would be interesting for example.

Re: The Mission Idea Thread

I think it would be very cool to go into a mission and not know the objective - for example: Helo team flys recon and finds contacts and then calls them into command which is on a ground patrol... Some on the fly CO'n might be more interesting.

Comment

We need more "SURPIIISE" objectives. Missions should have a few more unexpected turns to say in other words. New objectives learned about in the field, maybe create a few of them for the mission and have a script run that chooses which of the "New objectives" is implaced allowing for replayability.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Ones that work and we can atually complete and finish would be nice ;)

I'd like a convoy supply mission delivering supplies to say the fallujah hospital for example. With unexpected events along the way.

I agree with the different types of terrain getting a bit boring alway in the desert, graphics dont look that great and it's mainly just big open spaces it's alway takistan or fallujah laterly.

Comment

A big part of the reasoning for that is we played the hell out of Lingor when it was released on the server. People were looking for a change of scenery. Now we have Fallujah, so a lot of the missions played will be on fallujah. I've noticed quite a few people have problems with Chernarus as well which might contribute to the lack of missions played on it.
          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I like the idea of new or more important objectives coming up mid-game, also a big fan of combined arms and situations where they can actually be used, if you put air support on the map and litter the map with shilkas its still an infantry only map. I'd like to see a situation where a flir equipped helo (Apache or lynx or venom or littlebird doesn't matter) can fly observation for the infantry doing a nice orbit at medium altitude without the fear of being shredded by AAA which in realistic insurgency situations is a very slim chance. Might have a danger area come up "man with AA launcher spotted here" so that the support has to divert for awhile till its found, or the helo just takes a hit and the new mission objective becomes CSAR for the pilots (assuming they know how to autorotate! lol).

Having that kind of observation with the possibility of calling CAS on heavy targets or immediate threats (and this will rely on pilots not just ramboing and taking out everything ahead of the infantry) would make for some interesting missions clearing out sectors especially in a city like Fallujah.

Combined arms on the ground would be fun too having some Abrams as heavy support to knock out tough targets, or having a few people on mortars or 105mms would make for an interesting change of pace, the CO can say, "Alright you guys wanna charge the enemy stronghold across this open field? Or you want I should call in some mortars to soften em up first and deploy a smoke screen?" I think I know what most people would pick. Also using apcs to get to the objective and keeping a crew in them to provide fire support can be a good force multiplier and make our 1 squad sized group (usually) feel like they actually have some support in a mission that really should be taken on by a much larger force.

One thing I'd like to see in these missions is more US/Allied presence in the area, it always feels like we're in a ghost town, or just taking on a whole enemy army with one squad. Have some armed checkpoints, have some Abrams parked on the edges of town or Bradleys parked on major cross-streets providing overwatch, have infantry patrolling through other sectors outside the mission area, and friendly helicopters patrolling overhead, friendly avengers parked in a good spot to keep the skies clear of enemy helos (If we're fighting an enemy that could even have them), it's a lot of work for the mission makers I know but once you set it up on a particular map you can reuse the template with minor changes again and again. It would add alot to the ambience and make it feel more like we're supporting a war effort rather than ramboing into enemy territory.

And with AI unexpected things might happen, a passing blackhawk might take hits and we could divert from the mission to secure the crash, a technical might come charging at us and get randomly lit up by a patrolling Apache, it may take a little of the work out of the hands of the players but it'll still be random and exciting and make for a good mission.

Keep the enemy at realistic levels to, its hard with the AI we have now as they all come swarming as soon as there is first contact but we should be contacting small groups or scattered individuals especially in like fallujah, snipers on rooftops or a single mortar tube launching rounds randomly in the AO, a single technical guarding an important objective or driving fast down the road taking potshots and retreating rapidly, not squads of patrolling troops covering every street and enemy checkpoints and swarms of technicals that go chasing after Americans like sharks on a wounded tuna.

Comment

I agree with both of your points but, it's quite hard to implement from a mission makers perspective without sacrificing one or the other.
              Also having friendly AIs operating parallel with you also places stress on the server too.

We are also dealing with situations where players individual actions dictate the game play, no matter the limit or lack of assets or support.

Playing combined arms type missions also require a larger player base to utilize them. This aspect we can address by getting more players into our servers.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Agreed, if you're struggling to fill one squad then adding other player controlled units doesn't help. You need to have a balance between the elements or focus the missions on things that one squad could reasonably be expected to do. Some of those like clearing a sector missions just have far too many enemies and far too many places they can attack you from it really feels like a worst case scenario rather than a standard patrol as the missions are built as.

Comment

I think one way to solve the infantry vs assets problem with low player numbers is to do missions with no infantry. I just started work on a mission with heavy enemy air threats, where the players get 2x SU-27's for air cover as well as a ka-52 for CAS. However, it just doesn't feel right to have an infantry unit of 15 or so engage enemy armor by themself, even if they have CAS, and adding more ground assets would increase the player counts to a level where the mission would never be played. I have yet to even try my 30 player mission for instance.

I'm considering simply axing the player infantry here and have the ground forces be an armor collumn. I'm then thinking about possibly adding friendly AI infantry for the players to support.

Comment

That's true, another possible idea for a mission would be a small special ops team of infantry which is there to complete certain objectives (basically like a sniper/spotter team with a jtac and demo maybe) whose goals are to make their way through the battlefield calling in the support when they need (call in fixed wing to blow this up, proceed to to village and snipe an hvt, approach an enemy base, destroy the AA asset with Javelin (or lase it for a high altitude bomber) and then call in apaches to destroy their armor. Gives a chance for people to play various roles, and in conjunction with live people on the ground which is always more fun than just blowing up digital tanks for the hell of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dekul View Post
                      That's true, another possible idea for a mission would be a small special ops team of infantry which is there to complete certain objectives (basically like a sniper/spotter team with a jtac and demo maybe) whose goals are to make their way through the battlefield calling in the support when they need (call in fixed wing to blow this up, proceed to to village and snipe an hvt, approach an enemy base, destroy the AA asset with Javelin (or lase it for a high altitude bomber) and then call in apaches to destroy their armor. Gives a chance for people to play various roles, and in conjunction with live people on the ground which is always more fun than just blowing up digital tanks for the hell of it.
                      Blowing up digital tanks is ALWAYS fun.

On a related note though, I wish more missions would include a recon team.

Comment

New to this and all but what about a two 'team' mission. One for recon and one for assault. The mission would be designed to make good recon a must before the assault section moves in for a very very specific task (with optional secondaries as well)?

Say... some location in the forrests of Charnus (citys play horribly and deserts get boring) or the Cities of Takistan... I'm going to stop there so I don't nub it up too much.

Or what about a mission that is designed 'and advertised' as one thing but completely derails due to some unforseen scripted event?

Comment

Originally posted by Dekul View Post
                          Similar type of mission is on Fallujah. CO18 Op Silver Dagger.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I'd love some more CO10-18'ish combined arms missions on Chernarus. Simply because I love the nature of the map and even a single two-man mortar team can spice up the mission a great deal. We don't need 28< missions before we can stick an Abrams tank in there or assign a M119 artillery piece as means of support.
                            |
                            | |

"Kirov is boss"
                            CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

I'm still trying to think of a way to make a mission that properly utilizes ACE Artillery without it having to be a 30+ player mission. Especially considering that a single gun really does not make for an effective fire support. So there'd be 2 Gunners, 1 FDC, 2 Loaders/Ammo Preps. 5 People at LEAST detached from the team to provide long range fire support.
                              Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                              Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...