Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it PR into ArmA II or ArmA II into PR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it PR into ArmA II or ArmA II into PR?

Because one of these is going to work for the ArmA II veterans and one is not. I'm going to give things time to settle out, but so far I miss my ArmA missions.

Re: Is it PR into ArmA II or ArmA II into PR?

First off..I really can't comment on what the PR folks are doing in ARMA or the Gameplay..

After getting Arma'ed out a few years back I headed over to PR..becasue while BF2 was ok in spurts it needed something.. and there was a HUGE community of TG'ers playing PR... So why not.? I do see alot of negative comments directed toward PR..but I do feel if you can combine the best parts of both..you will get a great Multiplayer PvP experience..

Points of interest in PR..
    Mandatory Sqauding .. No effort..you are either in or make a squad or you are out of the game. This forces a small squad teamwork and really lets some folks stand out as great squad leaders.. (slots on their squad must sought after)..
    PR Comms much better than anytihing ARMA..period.. This is an Engine/Game issue..so not sure that PR group can make this any better. Its great to have controlled Squad level comms that just work.
    Quick gameplay.. ,,This is a taste thing.. In PR you just get in..set game time (or tickets etc..) and you end when done... ARMA is like a novel...not a short one.. It takes time to build interest in the plot and once you do..you lost a few hours of your life.. And you can remember that great Mission for years.. PR gamplay is like a League... you win one you lose one.. Go to the next match and see what happens..

If the PR modding crew can put the squad level controls (Yes I like Spawning on Squad lead!! I hang my head in shame...) in the game.. Somehow get Comms to work (which may just be TG'ers using the Duct Tape TeamSpeak mode) then you will finally have the PvP game mode that ARMA deserves ...
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Ok, I hate to kind of sound like an ass here, but this is something that I've seen a lot of people on both sides saying.
      "Well, if you're trying to turn PR into ArmA, then PR players are going to be mad."
      "Well, if you're trying to turn ArmA into PR, then ArmA players are going to be mad."

This kind of thing really needs to stop. Both of these communities are filled to the brim with excellent players, most of whom have played many many titles of the course of a long gaming career. PR:A isnt anything different. Its a NEW TITLE. Treat it as such. It's obviously not going to work like PR:BF2 and it's obviously not going to work like ArmA. It's something completely unique and individual that we have the PRIVILEGE (thats right folks, we're one of less than a handful of servers out there that were chosen to launch the game) of being able to play on our own server.

Bottom line, it's a new game. Treat it like a new game. Work with the admin staff and your fellow players to make it a GREAT new game. But certainly dont sit here and try and compare it to it's predecessor titles, because that just wont work. If thats too much to ask and you cant simply accept that this game is neither ArmA2 nor PR:BF2, but a brand new combination of the two, then perhaps you ought to re-evaluate playing it (silently) instead of coming here and pointing out the fact that it's neither in complaint form, considering everyone else has already realized and accepted that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        Bottom line, it's a new game. Treat it like a new game. Work with the admin staff and your fellow players to make it a GREAT new game. But certainly dont sit here and try and compare it to it's predecessor titles, because that just wont work. If thats too much to ask and you cant simply accept that this game is neither ArmA2 nor PR:BF2, but a brand new combination of the two, then perhaps you ought to re-evaluate playing it (silently) instead of coming here and pointing out the fact that it's neither in complaint form, considering everyone else has already realized and accepted that fact.
        This guy just won the thread. Right there.

Couldnt have said better.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
        The BigC

Comment

Ok, I hate to kind of sound like an ass here, but this is something that I've seen a lot of people on both sides saying.
          "Well, if you're trying to turn PR into ArmA, then PR players are going to be mad."
          "Well, if you're trying to turn ArmA into PR, then ArmA players are going to be mad."

This kind of thing really needs to stop. Both of these communities are filled to the brim with excellent players, most of whom have played many many titles of the course of a long gaming career. PR:A isnt anything different. Its a NEW TITLE. Treat it as such. It's obviously not going to work like PR:BF2 and it's obviously not going to work like ArmA. It's something completely unique and individual that we have the PRIVILEGE (thats right folks, we're one of less than a handful of servers out there that were chosen to launch the game) of being able to play on our own server.

Yep, he won the thread, now it's up to those that read this to understand, and I am not elaborating on behalf of Ferris but on my own. Yes this should be considered a New Game which will require all of us to adjust to the mechanics of it but also to be flexible and understanding to both the PR side and the Arma side.

In combination it has the potential to become a great way to join both worlds, only problem to deal with are the false high hopes everyone had, including myself, that this would be the best thing out there and it would be a perfect world. Only patient players, thoughtful players, mature players can make it come close to your expectations. If you set your goals to high you will surely be disappointed. It's going to take both worlds coming together with support, training, and tolerence. I am not saying this to put a burden on the current Admin team, this is for all and everyone involved. It's going to take everyone's effort and input to make it stronger and stable. The Admin team will need an extra pair of ears so as to listen to every concern, the rest of us must make wise choice's on our postings so our concerns or insights to and for the game are easily understood by all.

In closing do know that all of your concerns are heard and workarounds are being planned but just give it time and let the best part of this New Game be you and your input.

Comment

The beatings will continue until morale improves...

Seg provides a fair observation for some of us ARMA vets - is this game an adaptation of PR into ARMA, or is it adapting ARMA into the PR universe. I'd argue the latter - ARMA is being adapted into the PR universe and style of play - It's a new title. Yes, i agree with you, its effectively a new game.

We will all come to form our own conclusions whether or not it is, or is not for us. Are we not allowed to to make a mere statement about our (evolving) feelings on the title? I think many of us are still on the fence and as we play and learn more we are better able to determine preferences for each individual.
            And to boot, we are discussing this in the ARMA forum, not the PR:ARMA forum.

But certainly dont sit here and try and compare it to it's predecessor titles, because that just wont work. If thats too much to ask and you cant simply accept that this game is neither ArmA2 nor PR:BF2, but a brand new combination of the two, then perhaps you ought to re-evaluate playing it (silently) instead of coming here and pointing out the fact that it's neither in complaint form, considering everyone else has already realized and accepted that fact.
            I'm taking exception to the bolded text here.
            - We are in the ARMA forum
            - Have we no right to state our opinions about this new title that has made some waves in our community? "Perhaps you ought to re-evaluate playing it (silently)" Really? Are you really serious? Let's turn it around - If you don't like people taking opinions that are not 100% positive about the title, evaluate their stated positions (silently).
            I'm sorry, but trying to mute someone's opinion because you don't like it rubs me the wrong way.

Before i sign off, I'm certain that 100% of the ARMA community appreciates the untold work that went into creating this new title. The commitment of personal time and investment of resources were undoubtedly substantial and are not being discounted. The amount of time the Administrative team has put toward this launch is truly commendable and really puts TG on a tier all our own.
            None of the comments about the title have anything to do with any lack of respect for the efforts put into this title. This is a case of old and new. There are quality cases for both, and everyone will find what is right for them. As long as the discussions are civil, why not have them? After all, you don't have to participate in them.
            Last edited by ThirdSin; 09-05-2011, 09:23 PM.
            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

I love the bravo server, the missions and the people that play there. Unfortunately [for me] ARMA2 was always missing a piece to the puzzle and that was the PVP experience. Aside from that, I think you have to classify this as its' own game. I am continually in squads with teamwork like what we see in bravo mixed with the pace and PVP experience of PR for BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by seg[TDev] View Post
                Because one of these is going to work for the ArmA II veterans and one is not. I'm going to give things time to settle out, but so far I miss my ArmA missions.
                Its both in my mind and then again its also something entirely different. It really seperates itself from ACE/ArmAII with its gameplay/mechanics but its still ingrained in the engine proper. Personally I see this as what they want PR to be if it was standalone. In my mind it works... superbly....just needs the designed maps for it.

I don't know how to define it right now:

Its like a war though. A little more simplified but also a lot more nuanced...

*Peardog: This beta is still very very novel like. Today I spent 30 minutes loading up a truck (of course by myself... with help it'd have been quicker) and then another 5 driving to a destination on Iron Forge (the largest PR:ArmA map). I was at that position for around an hour and the game hadn't really progressed beyond capturing one more point. I had heard that the rest of my squad had been there for probably an hour before I had arrived as well.

Of course this isn't to say they didn't have action, in fact they had a lot of action, but it didn't feel like it was accomplishing much. It was more or less just people clueless of our position or tardrushing into us (by the way is roadkilling against the rules?). I just feel that missions are really long right now and that the level of teamwork doesn't allow for quick rounds or a sense of accomplishment since so many SLs come and go.

If they can tighten the rounds to last 2-3 hours I'd be satisfied. The addition of a TS/Mumble VOIP would also be wonderful!

Oh and finally they don't have spawning on SLs but do have SL placed Rally Points which are just as much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdSin View Post

Seg provides a fair observation for some of us ARMA vets - is this game an adaptation of PR into ARMA, or is it adapting ARMA into the PR universe. I'd argue the latter - ARMA is being adapted into the PR universe and style of play - It's a new title. Yes, i agree with you, its effectively a new game.

We will all come to form our own conclusions whether or not it is, or is not for us. Are we not allowed to to make a mere statement about our (evolving) feelings on the title? I think many of us are still on the fence and as we play and learn more we are better able to determine preferences for each individual.
                  And to boot, we are discussing this in the ARMA forum, not the PR:ARMA forum.

I'm taking exception to the bolded text here.
                  - We are in the ARMA forum
                  - Have we no right to state our opinions about this new title that has made some waves in our community? "Perhaps you ought to re-evaluate playing it (silently)" Really? Are you really serious? Let's turn it around - If you don't like people taking opinions that are not 100% positive about the title, evaluate their stated positions (silently).
                  I'm sorry, but trying to mute someone's opinion because you don't like it rubs me the wrong way.

I am not sure if you guys count me as a veteran yet. But personally, I just dislike the type of gameplay that PR brings to the table.

I like complexity, passive action, and just good teamwork.

I'm going to wait and pray that PR ARMA gets better. And will happily be there to lead and follow.

I might just have to bite my tongue and suck it up, but we've all gotta man up sometimes in life.
                  |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
                  Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
                  We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
                  And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
                  He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Comment

My short opinion:
                    ArmA2 Coop = Highly organized missions meant to flow as a story for the most part
                    PR:ArmA2 Public Match = Semi-Organized Missions meant for quick action and fun.
                    PR:ArmA2 Scrim/Pick 'Em Match = Highly Organized PvP missions meant for extreme teamwork and PvP play.

In other words, ArmA2 Coop can relate to PR:ArmA2 quite well as long as it is in an organized match with complete command structure. As long as that CoC is fully in place, it will playout like a coop quite comparably, albeit with a relatively faster pace and numerous tactic changes needed.
                    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I'd tend to agree with that python.

PS: I'm still battered and bruised from that ATV crash

Comment

I think it's funny that on the PR forum everyone was complaining how slow Arma Bravo is to start a mission and yet nothing seems to really happen in PR.

Comment

You know how some babies are never bored. They are always doing something to entertain themselves. Babies without knowing the intended purpose of a toy, would create some type of game with it. Tasting it, throwing it and getting it again, smashing it on the ground. I don't know why I picked a baby as an example but I would try to create what you seek in the server. Because the collection of type of players and gameplay you seek today is the result of same type of work you seem to avoid.

For me I love the simplicity of PR. Jump in and out anytime and start doing something. For now proportion between the players and the server is allowing TG to have plenty of people to play with. I think that is a blessing to be cherished and milked. While we have the attention of all of PR players in the US (TG is the only US based PR beta server) we should convert them to "TG - ians". By the time PR is out of Beta phase and other clans open up their server we have to have had set up a reputation as high as our BF2PR server.

If not us - the long lingering Arma lovers, the resulting mindset of legacy of years of filtering, training, and growing together as a community - who is gonna do that?

Comment

To each their own.
                            Anyone who has ever played BF2 vanilla and BF2:PR should be pretty quick to point out that these are two different games. Likewise, they should be able to point out the difference between Arma and PR:A.

I like the Arma engine and what it brings to the table, but at 35 years old, running a business, owning a house, kid on the way, blah blah blah, I really don't have the kind of time to play a Bravo mission whenever I want to get my game on. If I jump into a PR game and nothing's happening, I'll hop out of that too. I have plenty of things to do besides staring at my monitor watching virtual grass grow.

That said, I think that PR is a great mix of Arma and PR without getting too far into the minutiae of kit loadouts, earplugs and flashing IR strobes. I wholeheartedly agree that PR (and Arma for that matter) is boring as hell without a proper squad to work with. Nothing is more fun than working together with a squad to load trucks, transport supplies and kill lots of bad guys.

I guess I would challenge anybody that doesn't like PR:A to get together with a bunch of their Arma buds and see if they can't own the server as best squad.

Comment

We are all still in the learning phase as well. We all find new, exciting things to do, new ideas, new areas. I can't wait to we start to see dedicated logistics squads a la BF2 PR running. You know, the squad with 4 guys who exist JUST to build for the team, to rearm the team, and the rest. The never fire a shot. These guys make the game more in depth and more immersion. I have seen the starting of these squads already, very encouraging. Pretty much everyone in this thread has the ability to be an epic PR ArmA squad leader, we just have to keep aiming higher! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X