Looking for Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Training

I'm a complete newbie to ArmA, and FPS games in general (just played Deus Ex, but as I played it stealthily, it hardly counts). My boyfriend and I are looking for a good squad based tactical shooter game thingie.

Basically, we're looking for someone that has the patience to train us - sit on a server on ArmA 2 and teach us the keybinds, what stuff does, tricks of the trade, how to act, all that stuff. Maybe even some combat, if possible.

We're both Brits, so something that we can both get to given our time zone would be great. GMT-Time wise, between 18:00 and 00:00 most days, probably. Maybe even to 02:00 the next morning, but not too often - University days are 07:30 to 17:30 each week day, pretty much, so I need my sleep to be able to safely work with the power tools (blowtorches and tiredness do not mix).

Hoping to hear from someone soon.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Re: Looking for Training

First off Welcome to TG! and Welcome to TG ArmA! :)

we play 3 versions of ArmA2

ArmA2 Vanilla(straight out of the box ArmA2): good for jumping right in but as with most things vanilla it lacks some flavor :)

ArmA2 ACE2 and ACRE(Advanced Combat Environment 2 and Advanced Combat Radio Environment): Adds ALOT..let me say that again ALOT of things that increase the complexity and the fun of CoOp battles, things like a vastly improved wounding and medical system and realistic radios with changeable frequencies and signal loss over distance. This is the meat and potatoes of ArmA2 as far as I am concerned. Here is a guide on how to get these mods up and going.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...perations.html

and lastly..but not least

PR:ArmA 2 (Project Reality): a mod focused solely on improving the Player vs Player gameplay of ArmA2 right now it is in beta stages but anyone can install it and play it on the available servers(including the TG server) not as complex not as finely coordinated as ACE2 yet, but I think this one has some real potential.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/pr-arma...-arma-2-a.html

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

As far as training goes TG has what we call TGU or Tactical Gamer University that does classes periodically on things as basic infantry to a JTAC/CAS(Joint Terminal Attack Controller / Close Air Support) training class. These are first come first serve when the sign up starts but we try to get everyone who wants to participate into one. I am sure a TGU instructor will see this and if he has time will start a sign up. If not you can go to the link below and request a basic infantry class for ArmA2

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...s-request.html

You are also welcome to get onto the TG TS3 server and after registering your TS3 ID with our servers:
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/teamspeak.php

you will be able to move through the TS3 channels and if you hop into an ArmA2 channel you will almost always find someone willing to help you through the basics as best they can just say you're new and that you need some help

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

As far as training goes, I'll just add that Unkl and I are working on a video as well as narration to release to the public on the basis of Basic Infantry. Hopefully when that is complete, it will be a good deal of information.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I've actually found the basic training that comes with the base game, to be fairly helpful as far as basics go.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
        "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shoomfie View Post
          I've actually found the basic training that comes with the base game, to be fairly helpful as far as basics go.
          It... sort of told me to do stuff, but not the buttons. So I accidentally went prone, and ended up crawling around the training base on my stomach like some sort of demented slug, incredibly confused. Sort of worked out some of the buttons now, but still liable to press something and not know how to toggle it off.

For ACE and ACRE, don't I need the full game? Or am I able to hop onto modded servers with just the Free version?

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

To toggle something off is usually a double tap of whatever key does that function. I agree the best way to learn is to get into a multiplayer game & ask away. That way your learning as you use that knowledge.

For all of our servers you will need not just ArmA2 but also the ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead. They run together as one game. I think Zephyrdark touched on that. Are you on Teamspeak? Get on TS if you can, make sure you register your TS unique ID with the forums & then you can join the ArmA channels. There will be someone along who will talk you through how it works.

edited: to remove misinformation
            Last edited by Unkl; 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM.
            |TG-189th| Unkl
            ArmA 3 Game Officer
            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
            189th Infantry Brigade Member
            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

will arma2 free and OA run together as CO?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                will arma2 free and OA run together as CO?
                Don't believe so. Something about the limitations of A2Free and using mods I think i recall reading somewhere. Feel free to let us know if it turns out different... ;)
                Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

yeah thts what I thought as well, but yeah feel free to try it but if its not much more to buy ArmA2 and OA Id do it because I am almost positive you need both paid versions to run in CO

Comment

Tried to get onto an ArmA 2 Free server with WarFairy today, didn't work out. Didn't seem to be able to get onto each other's servers, or something. Ho hum, bit the bullet (woot, lead poisoning) and ordered it off Amazon. Hopefully here by Wednesday.

Pepper

Comment

It is a matter of different versions of the game :) but when you got it , me or anyone else on TS will help you set it up and then you can start having some real fun :P
                      - - -

Comment

ArmA 2 for free is not compatible for combining with Operation Arrowhead and coming up with Combined Operations. You can play ArmA for Free only on ArmA 2 or ArmA 2 for Free hosted servers. You must have retail ArmA 2 and ArmA Operation Arrowhead or ArmA Combined Operations (which is both ArmA 2 and ArmA OA) to get on our Alpha server. For complete explanation please see http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...ageCombination

Comment

I'd recommend hopping on the alpha server and just playing on the TS channel. This community is ALL about teamwork and with that is helping those new to our server learning how not only how to play the game, but doing it the way it should be. Check our forums regularly, read the sop and join in. I think (I know) you will find all the help you'll need.

Comment

Tried the freebie scenario thing, "Trial by Fire" on normal difficulty.

Everyone died. Or, everyone flailed around on the ground wounded (AI is sometimes stupid, methinks) until the enemies advanced far enough to put everyone out of their misery.

GOOD TIMES!

Pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
                              (AI is sometimes stupid, methinks)
                              You've learned the first thing about arma

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X