Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Smartphones dethrone tactical Radios?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Smartphones dethrone tactical Radios?

Horray no more radios...just pick up your phone and call me http://digital.nationaldefensemagazine.org/title/11544

Re: Will Smartphones dethrone tactical Radios?

iGun Pro anyone?
    |
    | |

"Kirov is boss"
    CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

... eh, in real life, I still prefer reliable bricks to super special phones. My last phone had a battery life of two weeks and survived going through the washing machine. It was awesome.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

My cell does not text or have a camera, I make calls on it. My computer does the rest of the stuff. My work phone had walkie talkie beep beep that replaced our radios and it was nice not to hear all the chatter. I have no need for a smart phone and all that it entails.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
          My cell does not text or have a camera, I make calls on it. My computer does the rest of the stuff. My work phone had walkie talkie beep beep that replaced our radios and it was nice not to hear all the chatter. I have no need for a smart phone and all that it entails.
          I now have a mini-computer phone thing, with a tiny QWERTY keypad. But only so I can make notes on it, because my organisation is terrible.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Speaking from experience. Smart phones will never replace tactical radios. As that private said in the article....why do i need this???? They may compliment radios at some point but when you need to pass info quick, there's nothing quicker than voice over a COMSEC radio.
            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
            Former ARMA Admin
            Former ARMA TGU instructor
            Former TGU Headmaster
            Current Noob
            Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I would imagine, that there are some security issues with using cellphones for military communications. With a radio, at least you can change frequencies and encrypt transmissions. But that is not possible with a cellphone.

Moreover, a cellphone must have a cell tower to function. While a radio only needs an antenna.
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Yeah sure lets give the entire military smartphones. We all know what they're going to be doing then and I don't mean playing Angry Birds.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
                  Yeah sure lets give the entire military smartphones. We all know what they're going to be doing then and I don't mean playing Angry Birds.
                  Lol you would have to limit them to 1gb a month of "downloads"..............:p
                  sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                  Former ARMA Admin
                  Former ARMA TGU instructor
                  Former TGU Headmaster
                  Current Noob
                  Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse