Say Wat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Wat?

A Czech Company striking http://www.bistudio.com/ because of something the US congress may or may not doÖsay wat? Donít worry BIS the US congress isnít capable of doing anything except spend money so get back to work on ArmA IIIÖ

Re: Say Wat?

Won't SOPA have worldwide affects or something? TBH, really irritated with that myself.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Yes worldwide. That is the worst thing, the fact that regulation in the USA can effect me here in the UK.

Comment

I don't think it's going to pass and now it sounds like Obama does not want it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
          Yes worldwide. That is the worst thing, the fact that regulation in the USA can effect me here in the UK.
          It's seepage. America's leaking into my internets.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

More examples of sites on strike or voicing their opinion on the matter:
            http://www.google.com/
            http://www.xkcd.com/
            http://www.explosm.net/
            http://rom.ac/
            http://en.wikipedia.org/
            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Yeah I am running into all sorts of sites today. I support their cause for sure, but it is inconvenient. Wallpaper sites, gadget sites, news sites. They better pull this travesty.

Comment

*Sigh*. One doesn't have to be American to care about this. If it goes ahead, it will be able to affect everyone, not simply Americans. And you know what? I don't like that. It's bad enough the way we're represented by out government over here, I don't want to end up with the US government - whom we had no say in electing - deciding what websites I can or can't visit. Even if there were no danger of such a bill being passed here (which if SOPA were to go ahead would be a very real threat), it would still suck for you guys. And I like you guys.
                I'm not opposed to SOPA because I stand to lose out on my ill-gotten piracy money, or because my lucrative website is in danger of being shut down. I'm opposed to SOPA because it would severely restrict people's ability to express themselves on the internet - it would change the fundamental nature of the internet for the worse.

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                Yeah I am running into all sorts of sites today. I support their cause for sure, but it is inconvenient.
                That's kinda the point. It's not simply a "ooh I don't like this so I'll shut down for the day", it's "if this were to go ahead I could be shut down permanently." However annoying it is that Wikipedia, or Reddit, or WordPress, is down today - what would it be like if that were every day?

Edit: Oh, typical, just as I post this, John Walker sums it up better than I could.

"I have stared in horror and disappointment today, as site after site who had been issuing editorials and declaring their disgust, failed to do something so simple as go dark for one day. “But we’re news outlets, we report the news, not take part in protests,” they all answered, as if their not being able to report the news for one day wasn’t exactly the point. As if failing to serve their readers wasn’t the very purpose of the protest, not a reason to scab their way out of it. The idea was to piss people off, let readers down, fail to be there in a useful form, because that is the future of every one of them if these acts get in. They literally won’t be able to run as they do."
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                Irregular since 2007.

Comment

http://prteamwork.com/threads/new-pr...blic-beta.991/

There is a cool one.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                    *Sigh*. One doesn't have to be American to care about this. If it goes ahead, it will be able to affect everyone, not simply Americans. And you know what? I don't like that. It's bad enough the way we're represented by out government over here, I don't want to end up with the US government - whom we had no say in electing - deciding what websites I can or can't visit. Even if there were no danger of such a bill being passed here (which if SOPA were to go ahead would be a very real threat), it would still suck for you guys. And I like you guys.
                    I'm not opposed to SOPA because I stand to lose out on my ill-gotten piracy money, or because my lucrative website is in danger of being shut down. I'm opposed to SOPA because it would severely restrict people's ability to express themselves on the internet - it would change the fundamental nature of the internet for the worse.

That's kinda the point. It's not simply a "ooh I don't like this so I'll shut down for the day", it's "if this were to go ahead I could be shut down permanently." However annoying it is that Wikipedia, or Reddit, or WordPress, is down today - what would it be like if that were every day?

Edit: Oh, typical, just as I post this, John Walker sums it up better than I could.

"I have stared in horror and disappointment today, as site after site who had been issuing editorials and declaring their disgust, failed to do something so simple as go dark for one day. “But we’re news outlets, we report the news, not take part in protests,” they all answered, as if their not being able to report the news for one day wasn’t exactly the point. As if failing to serve their readers wasn’t the very purpose of the protest, not a reason to scab their way out of it. The idea was to piss people off, let readers down, fail to be there in a useful form, because that is the future of every one of them if these acts get in. They literally won’t be able to run as they do."
                    Hats off to you, mate! It is good to see more people are concerned with this then just those in the States, as SOPA and PIPA like legislation can easily be adopted elsewhere (i.e. EU etc).

It's far more insidious than that. If the typical lazy American would simply read said bill, they'd realize that the more latent portions of it lay the ground-work for some rather pernicious abuses.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAP44 View Post
                      A Czech Company striking http://www.bistudio.com/ because of something the US congress may or may not do…say wat? Don’t worry BIS the US congress isn’t capable of doing anything except spend money so get back to work on ArmA III…
                      BI Simulations does have a US office in Orlando, fyi.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Many countries don't need to debate this or pass laws on it, they just do it. This didn't start here nor will it end here. Place the blame on the deep pockets of corporations and politicians living out of those pockets...Worldwide.

Comment

Chief, sounds like you're basically saying as long as there are some countries that are worse off, you shouldn't strive to improve (or in this case, prevent a decline of) your own society. That defeatist attitude will only ensure you end up second last :)

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

As you were. Obama just bypassed Congress and signed ACTA.

It makes SOPA and PIPA look small in comparison.

Comment

Business intrests have taken over all political discourse, all hail the almighty Dollar. Damn the man and our inactive populous, etc etc. /end rant.
                              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X