Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice your opinion on the Alpha server!

The admin team is considering adding custom maps to the Alpha server. More than likely, it will be the same TGMaps that is used on Bravo.

The maps in the map pack, are for the most part, widely accepted community maps. The likely hood of pub players to have these maps is higher than most other maps available. Thus, the idea is to attract pub players whom have the maps already.

The other reason for this consideration, is to get more players active in our community. The idea behind it, is to play a seeder mission, either on chenaurs or takistan. And then to switch missions to a more tactically oriented mission on one of the custom maps. However, notification would be given for all players on the server, and instructions on how to install the map pack would be provided.

The installation of the map pack would also be simple. It would be available for direct download from the TG forums. No special programs required to install.

So, community, what are your thoughts?

NOTE: REGARDLESS OF THE RESULTS OF THIS POLL, THE ADMINS WILL HAVE FINAL SAY!
    Yes
    60.00%
    No
    33.33%
    Other (Explain)
    6.67%

The poll is expired.

|TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Re: Voice your opinion on the Alpha server!

It would seem you're going against what I thought Alpha was designed for - the zero requirement for entry server. I think I understand the thought behind making it more attractive to established players so that they can help show the newer folks 'how its done'. My thinking is that if Alpha is populated for say 4 hours, 2 hrs are seeding and 2 hrs are on a Downloaded MapPack, then 50% of the time 'new' blood cannot join the server. At the same time, if it makes more people stay around to play something new, maybe it is a good idea.
    I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it for a limited time and see how it goes either.
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

As much as I would like to see more maps on Alpha, it'd go against what Alpha actually is - something accessible for those with ArmA straight out the box / download / whatever. Personally think the way to go would be to have more small scale (up to 12 player-ish) missions to play other than Domi or Insurgency. Wish I could make missions - then I could help spew some out.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

I understand the reason of the Alpha being all vanilla, but I must say I would love to see some missions in other maps as well (without ACE, ACRE). Since the addon would be downloaded straight from here maybe if the map pack was smaller to allow faster download it would be easier for people to stay on the server when we changed missions. I think I agree with ThirdSin best thing would be to try it out for a period of time and see what the change would be in people outside TG joining.
        - - -

Comment

We've been looking for some small squad (4-12) player maps on Alpha when things are quiet or trying to seed the server...this could be excellent, as long as it doesn't become a barrier to entry for new players. Some larger ones like "Where's Waldo" as an option for a change from Domi fatigue would be nice too...

I agree best to try it out for a temporary period first and see what effect it has on Alpha population numbers.
          sigpic
          [squadl][conduct]

Comment

As much as i absolutely DESPISE alpha (vanilla basically) for its short comings and flaws that I believe ACE/ACRE fixes...if it has the potential to bring new players to the community and liven this place up a bit then by all means, give it a shot. What could it hurt? Its not like we have a large player base to worry about losing, I figure the people we do have are die hard fans and will stick with it. Those that weren't as dedicated to TG, were weeded out about a year ago.

I dont by any means intend to sound ultimatum-ish or anything like that. I just figure that what ever outcome adding custom maps may bring, can only be positive and I trust in the admins to make the right decision for the community. And who knows, maybe some of those pubs will realize what they are missing and join me on bravo server :D

Until then, Ill be hiding on bravo somewhere playing with my fancy radios and electronic crack that only ACE can provide me!
            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

It'd be kind of cool to have a server half way between Alpha and Bravo. Like with custom maps and ACE, but not ACRE. Or something.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Alpha is vanilla, plain and simple and easy to use. When you are ready for more, Bravo is ready for you. Alpha is to bring them in, get them thirsty for more and send them on their way to the heavy hitters on Bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                  Alpha is vanilla, plain and simple and easy to use. When you are ready for more, Bravo is ready for you. Alpha is to bring them in, get them thirsty for more and send them on their way to the heavy hitters on Bravo.
                  I have to agree with Chief on this one, leave Alpha alone. Any requirements other than out of the box of Combined Arms will cause the loss of new trainees wanting a shot at the learning curve of this Sim. After they learn to walk in Alpha they will seek Bravo with confidence and a smaller learning curve.
                  Last edited by SARGE; 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

One side note: I've been really tempted to check out Domi East or other "east" flavored missions, maybe throwing that into the rotation on Alpha would give some new spice without raising the entry bar?
                    sigpic
                    [squadl][conduct]

Comment

I would have to mimic Chiefs input on this as well as some others. Alpha is there for a reason. The next step beyond that is Bravo. Believe me its a huge jump from one to the other. Maybe looking at other community made vanilla missions or even holding a TGU course for Alpha mission making since it might not be as steep.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

See all the things we can learn from each other....the great suggestions we get when we put our noggins together?

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                        Maybe looking at other community made vanilla missions or even holding a TGU course for Alpha mission making since it might not be as steep.
                        ^Like this idea. This has Pathfinder written all over it.

Originally posted by woof View Post
                        One side note: I've been really tempted to check out Domi East or other "east" flavored missions, maybe throwing that into the rotation on Alpha would give some new spice without raising the entry bar?
                        ^Nothing is stopping any of the versions we have from being chosen. The admins are trying to stick to a seeder mission and then switch to a regular mission which is a little more tactical then back to the seeders. This should work to bring the pub players to know how we like to play and get their feet wet for more variety.

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                        ...we can direct them to Bravo to chase Dredge with their poopy diapers.
                        ^Are we getting this started again?!
                        |TG-189th| Unkl
                        ArmA 3 Game Officer
                        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                        189th Infantry Brigade Member
                        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

As someone who has played a bit on Alpha and Bravo in the past and as someone that has to constantly fight the population battle in couple of titles I have a couple of questions that may provide a simpler way of looking at this.

1) How busy is Alpha at this point in time? Can you lose players from a near empty server?

2) New content breeds interest. I can't say for certain but I am sure a lot of other communities probably have custom maps on their vanilla servers simply to spark interest. Installing Ace and Acre maybe a bridge too far for Arma Greenhorns at first but a simple one hit map pack install direct from the forums is something I think most people would happily do, it's quick and easy. This would wet their appetite for more better than simply playing the same few maps over and over. Content is king after all. I think this interim step may serve as a far greater incentive to move towards the ACE enviroment of Bravo, a first taste as it were of additional content.

It's not something that is irreversible, it's relatively low tech for the new user, may spark interest in seeking out more content (ie Bravo), what's not to like.

Whilst adhering to a principle of 'Vanilla' on a server is understandable in some circumstances it becomes counter productive if there is little to no activity in the first place to disrupt. Maybe try it and check the results, can't hurt can it?

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. There are some of us, some of who are supporting members, who will not use mods, or certain mods, and therefore game only on Alpha. I wouldnít want to make it impossible for them to game without first installing a mod. For this reason as well as having a server where anyone can join after just purchasing the game, and before they even know about mods, is the whole reason for Alpha.

However, I personally cannot go on Bravo as I will not use Acre. I would enjoy Fallujah or Lingor Insurgency and perhaps other missions on other islands. I donít think the leap from pure vanilla to some mod use is as big for new players as some may think. So Iím voting for this within the guidelines as proposed by Socom and Unk. I assume six will be configured for approved Alpha mods and maps for our regular members but hopefully just a list of links of approved Alpha maps and mods as I started in another thread can be set up as well. I for one donít want to spend an hour explaining Six to a Pubber who only wants to stick around and play whatís happening at the moment. I just want to give him/her a link and move on.

Comment

Personally think more missions rather than maps is the answer. There's a lot of areas in Takistan that you hardly ever see in detail, except in passing. Even when assaulting a main enemy base, most of the fighting is done from the hills, rather than on the streets. Some MOUT / CQB style patrols might be cool.

Pepper

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X