Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frame rates and Draw distance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frame rates and Draw distance.

    just curious what people are using for video. I have an AMD quad core 3.6ghz with 8gigs ddr3. windows 7 64, but am using an older EVGA gtx 260, and am not getting super good frames. I like to have everything up pretty high on settings especially sim type games.

    just wondering if its just my card or what? anyone get full on maximum settings and with what kind of system?

  • #2
    Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

    Two easiest and biggest boosts to framerate are disabling grass (or lowering it) and draw distance. Draw distance is the GPU killer. You mentioned you have Arma Launcher. You can increase how many threads Arma runs with that (for your Quad core), default for Arma is 1 thread. You can also increase the amount of RAM Arma uses to 2GB.

    There is a very odd bug with Arma with people reporting better frame rates with the graphics on high/very high than on low. No idea why that is the case, but I have heard it multiple times. But the two things above will definitely help frames.

    I went from a AMD/ATI 4870 to a 6970 and saw a big boost in framerate, mostly being able to set my draw distance out much farther. For OA, I usually have it at 7-8k, grass on, max everything else. For Chernarus, I have it at 6k, grass low, max everything else. Exception on settings is post-processing, which just blurs everything, I keep that on low.

    Thread on bistudio on OA tweaking
    Recent Graphics Card Comparison for OA
    sigpic
    [squadl][conduct]



    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

      Originally posted by woof View Post
      You can increase how many threads Arma runs with that (for your Quad core), default for Arma is 1 thread. You can also increase the amount of RAM Arma uses to 2GB.
      Okay. Now I'm slightly confused. I have two cores, but 4 threads. Is it safe to increase up to 4 threads?

      Pepper

      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
        Okay. Now I'm slightly confused. I have two cores, but 4 threads. Is it safe to increase up to 4 threads?
        All it means is that your PC has 2 cores that each run 2 threads(logical proccesors). This is called hyperthreading. Dual cores perform best on one thread.

        Dual-Core processor: -nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1

        Quad-Core processor: -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

        Hexacore processor: -nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7

        Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk. Please excuse the typo's.
        sigpic

        Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

          I think I will try that and see if it makes any difference on mine too, many thanks to all of ya :)
          - - -

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

            Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
            Okay. Now I'm slightly confused. I have two cores, but 4 threads. Is it safe to increase up to 4 threads?
            I wouldn't. Hyper-threading slows down Arma by most accounts.

            Take with a grain of salt (post is old):
            "I always suggest gamers turn off Hyper-threading technology (aka HTT) as it almost always decreases game performance. This isn't as necessary now since the game shuts down more than 4 cores and you specify the # to be used above... but I still suggest it be turned off in the BIOS." (from the bistudio thread linked in my previous post).

            I've run with Hyper-threading on and off; I haven't noticed any real difference. I still get odd framerate problems when I open and close the map occassionally (and have to alt-tab to fix it).

            For Dual-Core (even those with Hyper-threading):
            "Dual-Core processor: -nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1" (from the bistudio.com tweaking thread)

            I'm looking to hear from those with more Arma performance tweaking experience...I'm still relatively new to modifying my launch parameters, etc.
            sigpic
            [squadl][conduct]



            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by woof View Post
              I wouldn't. Hyper-threading slows down Arma by most accounts.

              Take with a grain of salt (post is old):
              "I always suggest gamers turn off Hyper-threading technology (aka HTT) as it almost always decreases game performance. This isn't as necessary now since the game shuts down more than 4 cores and you specify the # to be used above... but I still suggest it be turned off in the BIOS." (from the bistudio thread linked in my previous post).

              I've run with Hyper-threading on and off; I haven't noticed any real difference. I still get odd framerate problems when I open and close the map occassionally (and have to alt-tab to fix it).

              For Dual-Core (even those with Hyper-threading):
              "Dual-Core processor: -nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1" (from the bistudio.com tweaking thread)

              I'm looking to hear from those with more Arma performance tweaking experience...I'm still relatively new to modifying my launch parameters, etc.
              Beat you too it by about 30 seconds.
              sigpic

              Former Pathfinder
              Former ARMA Admin
              Former ARMA TGU instructor
              Former TGU Headmaster
              Current Noob
              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

                Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
                Beat you too it by about 30 seconds.
                It took me a while to figure out to make the quotes italic sadly...silly bbcode.

                Need both of our medics running at maximum speed tomorrow, my magnetic helmet was working overtime today. :(
                sigpic
                [squadl][conduct]



                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

                  Oki! And maxmemory? Got 4GB Ram / 2GB Graphics on this computer, so what can I safely slap that up to?

                  Pepper

                  "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

                    Dual-Core processor: -nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1

                    do i just run this in the mod line?
                    how do you do this if you launch via six updater?

                    my processer is ; amd 64bit 6000+ 3.0ghz duel core.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

                      I just tried this and tried testing it , but no real change... oh well
                      - - -

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

                        Originally posted by Deadly Dave View Post
                        Dual-Core processor: -nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1

                        do i just run this in the mod line?
                        how do you do this if you launch via six updater?

                        my processer is ; amd 64bit 6000+ 3.0ghz duel core.
                        At the top of SU, click Game Profile, and you will see launch options for your preset.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          C2duo @3.4ghz (overclocked)
                          4gb ram
                          Hdd @7400rpm
                          Ati 4850 512mb
                          Win 7 64bit

                          Two things that I saw a significant boost right off the bat.
                          A) processor speed.
                          Anything over 3.0ghz you're good to go. Before it was on 2.6ghz.
                          B) operating software.
                          Windows 7
                          Coming from WinXP, Win7 improved the game by miles.





                          Sent from my phone

                          TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

                          Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

                          "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

                            Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                            At the top of SU, click Game Profile, and you will see launch options for your preset.
                            Third has a man crush on Sarge for this info.... didn't even pay attention to it until now....
                            Does ARMA really not Auto detect the cores/threads?
                            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Frame rates and Draw distance.

                              I set cpu count and threads, but it made no difference :(


                              [Spartan 9]

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X