Tonight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight

Computer just took a po po on me but I wanted to thank everyone who played tonight. It was a blast for me. We dealt with coms loss, we relayed messages to one another, we improvised, and I tried to get everyone doing something. Was a little rusty leading, but I want to say thanks to everyone. Great mission, great attitudes, great leading by all!! Hell of a way to end a night for me. Thank you.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: Tonight

It was fun Jack. Coms Relay makes it more realistic.

Mother Goose was happy to honk out your orders to the rest of the flock :)

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

indeed i dont mind coms relays just something to take into account when planning and thus makes it more realistic

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Shoot :-/ it had been a really nice game up to the point I had to leave, I am sorry to hear it went to poop after wards.

When I first joined TG many moon ago, I think I probably literally shook with fear the first few times I was asked or forced into a position of command(being number 2 in squad and SL dieing)..and you know what I got everyone killed..a lot..more times than I care to admit, and you know what? no one cared..I learned from it..and learned that frontal assaults on overwhelming force is not the only option, and also that ArmA does not simulate John Wayne movies very well..because the good guys do not always win.

In real life I work on a military base where a lot of training of new army officers is done, this provides me the opportunity to watch the process of taking someone with little leadership ability, and how the Army teaches them how to lead men in a way that allows them to complete an objective with the least friendly causalities and most damage to the enemy.

The biggest thing I see when they first begin? they get everyone killed...a lot..more times than they probably care to admit and you know what? No one cares..they learn from it, and they learn that frontal assaults on overwhelming force is not the only option, and also that reality does not simulate John Wayne movies well because the good guys do not always win.

When someone asks for someone else to step up and lead, and when someone says "I will give it a try" do not put them down for that, encourage them. If they got everyone killed the last time they led a mission? GOOD! they learned something, and they are a better leader than they were before BECAUSE they got everyone killed. The worst thing you can do is say is "No not him!" Here is a person who is taking the first steps in being the ethos of what TG is..a group of LEADERS, and you are putting them down because they are not far enough on that journey?

If that was the response every time someone who was inexperienced at leading in ArmA stepped up and led a squad for the first time, we would not have any leaders, we would be like every other public server where everyone is too afraid to step up and try to take command because they're afraid if they fail they will be shunned, and if that was the response I got the first time I stepped up and led on TG, I probably would not have done it a second time, and might have even left TG servers in shame.

Failure..getting everyone killed..ruining the mission...and screwing up...that is how Leaders are made..and Leaders are what TG is made of.

Comment

I'm working on my chopper skills and I still crash occasionally.

I don't let it stop me though! Last night I was in Mother Goose for at least an hour before I let her drift lazily into a building during takeoff. lol.

How am I going to get better unless I find every thing Not to do? =)

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Charles Darwin again.

Very good post and very good attitude. :)
            [S7]Hablos
            Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hablos View Post
              You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Charles Darwin again.

Very good post and very good attitude. :)

+rep for ya to him!!!

And to echo what Hablos said......Great post and attitude!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Yes, I agree that CD's post was good and I, for one, needed to read that and hear what he was saying. I, as many have known, have been around for quite awhile and feel I must open up alittle bit here for it might help someone else.

The only way you will learn to be a leader is to lead. It's a one foot in front of the other foot kind of learning process. I have been lacking in the area of stepping up to lead for just this reason. I was afraid to step out. Don't know why, I didn't want to spoil the party for every one else kind of thinking. Most of the time I can only get to my computer for short limits of time, which, if I took a leadership role, I wouldn't be able to follow through to finish the mission. But, I should help out with leadership roles if my time is long enough to allow it.

I have taken leadership roles in the past and it was good, I have even been volenteered and that also was good, but being afraid to face the unknown mission and reacting quick enough to fubar situations has held me back. But, that has to change on my part. I have been realizing that I don't have to do the whole mission myself, just know what has to be tackled and give dircections to accomplish the mission to those with you.

The other night, when I came on the Alpha server, Bub told me he was leaving, Badblood was with one squad doing a side mission and Unkl was on the other side of the map, also completing a mission, and somehow found myself as CO. Knowing the abilities of Badblood and Unkl to take charge of situations, I felt comfortable to CO. I was simply giving the two of them directions to start us out on a successful march to a competed mission, remember, one foot in front of the other foot. As, the mission progressed, everyone was doing what they knew to do and lent helping hands to others bringing the time in mission for all concerned a good one. We not only accomplished the main mission, but we were very close to the side mission and that was also completed. Many thanks to all who were there.

I have been there to help other people who take the leadership roles and didn't know how much support I would have received if I jumped up to the task, but after the other night, I found out that I can count on all who are around, especially @ Tactical gamers.

So, in short, do you have to lead, no, but during a mission it might fall down to you to pick up the torch, and if you find yourself in that position, remember you are not alone.

Thanks for Listening

|TG-18th| SARGE
                Last edited by SARGE; 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I had just came onto Bravo when things starting to fall apart and we were without leadership. A person stepped up to take SL and another typed ingame "not him, I don't want him". The three guys in my FT fell in with him and his, he made me second in command and we tried to get orders from HQ. The new SL decided to move against the town as the last orders we had heard, the people on the server started a mass depature. It could have been from a number of things, time of night, fubar mission or whatever but it was almost like someone pulled the plug in the bathtub. This young man, with little experience was willing to pick up the pieces of what was left and continue the mission , I and a few others were willing to give him his shot, I unfortunately was killed in the assault. I salute that young man for stepping up and will help him any way I can should he want to lead again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                    I had just came onto Bravo when things starting to fall apart and we were without leadership. A person stepped up to take SL and another typed ingame "not him, I don't want him". The three guys in my FT fell in with him and his, he made me second in command and we tried to get orders from HQ. The new SL decided to move against the town as the last orders we had heard, the people on the server started a mass depature. It could have been from a number of things, time of night, fubar mission or whatever but it was almost like someone pulled the plug in the bathtub. This young man, with little experience was willing to pick up the pieces of what was left and continue the mission , I and a few others were willing to give him his shot, I unfortunately was killed in the assault. I salute that young man for stepping up and will help him any way I can should he want to lead again.
                    thats what my post was aimed at, I also salute that person in question and commend him on his actions and I am saddened to hear that it turned out the way it did after I left.

Comment

I was the medic tagging along with that squad. I was killed before Charles left, and awaiting a ride from base. Then Jack Bauer (the CO) left, BP (the first medic, also acting as XO) stepped up to be CO for like 3 minutes, then put me in charge and left. Then I heard Charles, the SL of the main infantry squad, had left, too. At that point, our only chopper decided to fly its pilot into a building and blow up, and I had only just got my hands on a long range radio, had no idea where ANY units were, or what they were even doing. I suggested Luke take charge, since my mission awareness was almost zero, and I was tired and thinking of leaving. Then I also suggested since we just lost all leadership and transport assets, and the mission had been going on for several hours, and since he was also admin, he might want to consider just calling the misison.

So he did. I didn't know anything about the leadership issues in squad 1, and I don't think Luke did either, as he was part of the two-man recce unit. Only after the mission ended, as I recall, did everyone, including me, start leaving.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
                        At that point, our only chopper decided to fly its pilot into a building and blow up, and I had only just got my hands on a long range radio, had no idea where ANY units were, or what they were even doing.
                        That would have been me. I was not on the ground during any of the mission. I was in the chopper for the entire hour relaying commands from Recce to Six. I had ferried two or three jips to the AO and after the fourth time, the chopper drifted into a building and insta fireball.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

It happens, no body did anything wrong, the only behavor I would ask to be changed was the person wo said "Not him" when the young man who replaced me stepped up to lead, other than that I didnt see anything that was against what TG stands for :)

Comment

My post was also just to that person that typed "Not him", who instead would have been better adhering to "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way." Than again if you can't follow orders you shouldn't be giving them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X