CQB Etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CQB Etc

Gijoe made a post on the "Request A Class" forum asking for a course or lesson on CQB / MOUT in ArmA, given the tendancy for any mission in ArmA in Fallujah to turn into an absolute slaughterfest. Anyway, here's a lovely real life AAR from Fallujah from Blackfive.net - a good read, for those that have the time. A fair bit of it doesn't really apply to ArmA due to limitations of the game (mechanics, building models etc), so I'll also dump a few of the main points from the AAR in this post. Anyway, here's the link.

Just a major point regarding the AAR, and why a lot of it isn't entirely useful for ArmA (but general food for thought) is this...
    The streets are narrow and are generally lined by walls. The walls channelize the squad and do not allow for standard immediate action drills when contact is made. This has not been an issue because the majority of contact is not made in the streets, but in the houses.
    As anyone that's played Fallujah in ArmA knows, most of the buildings aren't actually enterable, or don't contain more than a single route. So with this in mind, a lot of the information in the AAR concerning room clearing isn't entirely suitable for ArmA. Same goes for stuff on top-down assaults, as the buildings in Fallujah generally don't have roof entrances, or ways to climb up to the roof from the ground.

Just a disclaimer, I have no real life military experience in anything at all, so I don't entirely know what I'm talking about. I'm just fishing out the information I feel is relevant to ArmA. Correct / hit me as needed.

Key Points
    In MOUT it only takes a miniscule amount of intelligence in order to create massive amounts of casualties.
    During house to house detailed clearing attacks, squads must minimize exposure in the streets. The streets, especially in Fallujah, can become a death trap if a squad is engaged. The squad should run from house to house in a stack with all elements (security, assault, and supporting) in their appropriate position.
    All danger areas while on the move must be covered. Security must be three-dimensional and all around. Each Marine in the stack looks to the Marines to his front, assesses danger areas that are not covered, and then covers one of them. If every Marine does this then all danger areas will be covered.
    Footholds are extremely important. By establishing footholds the squad establishes strongpoints during the assault that can be used for consolidation, coordination, base of fire positions, rally points, and casualty collection points. The squad must move from one foothold to another, never stopping until each foothold is attained.
    Note: In the AAR it seems to be refering to footholds in relation to building clearing, rather than street clearing. Probably still relevant, though.

At all times the squad will move by using IBT and adhere to its principles which will be addressed later. No Marine should make an uncovered move. The squad should move at a pace that is swift, but controlled, exercising “tactical patience.”
    In any contact, the squad and squad leader have two priorities. The two priorities are eliminating the immediate threat and pulling out any casualties.
    CASUALTIES MUST NEVER BE LEFT BEHIND! The squad leader must ensure that every Marine moves with a buddy. Each buddy is responsible for pulling the other out of the fight if he goes down. The squad leader and fire team leaders must have accountability for all their Marines at all times.
    In detailed clearing attacks, time should never be the priority. Marines should never be rushed because they become sloppy and are forced to create shortcuts in order to accomplish the mission under the time restraints. This does not mean that the squads shouldn’t be pushed. This means that a realistic timeline for the attack should be made; a timeline that takes into account the overwhelming task of clearing multiple blocks of houses that may contain platoon sized elements of insurgents.
    Marines must be able to look around, assess what his squad or partner is doing, feed off it, and act in order to support them.
    Pieing off all danger areas. Even before entry into a room as many danger areas as possible should be pied off leaving only one or two corners that need to be cleared.
    Using the buddy system. Two Marines always peel off the stack, never one.
    Initiative based tactics (IBT) should be taught. There are four rules of IBT. They are the following:
    1. Cover all immediate danger areas.
    2. Eliminate all threats.
    3. Protect your buddy.
    4. There are no mistakes. Every Marine feeds off each other and picks up the slack for the other. Go with it.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Re: CQB Etc

Very cool read.

Ultimately, the lesson with any team-based military drill is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. When you're done practicing, practice some more.

Only until the point that standard infantry/security tactics become second nature to you can you really be effective in more advanced scenarios. CQC is one of the most mentally demanding situations to put a soldier in. Move quickly and move with intent. You need to know what to do, what the guy behind you will be doing, what the guy behind him will be doing, and so on so forth for every person in your fireteam and squad. TG and other communities similar to it have historically suffered from lack of real fireteam cohesion, which results in delay from the TLs up through the brass. A Squad Leader should not have to micromanage movements as it all should be second-nature.

In CQC as well as in stealthy undertakings, speed is security. Again: move quickly, move with intent. Too many players like to take contact and hold where they are and that right there is why people die. Going prone and trying to engage while stationary is "safe" but accomplishes nothing. Players get too caught up in questions: "Oh my lord, does the SL want me to move now? Where do I move to? Should I conserve ammunition?" These questions and many like them simply DO NOT exist in a cohesive unit. Anyone you play with regularly can benefit from react-to-contact drills and other buddy-movement drills. It's OKAY to not kill the enemy during that fight and establish a hasty ambush position. It doesn't mean you "lost" the firefight.

The hardest part is that everyone has different SOPs. I have LEO experience with lots of military-influenced research and training, my roommate is MP with plenty of knowledge of infantry tactics. We both accomplish the exact same goals but in slightly different ways. You have to find the middle-ground and establish a mutual SOP. "When we come up to <this> type of clearing, this is who moves, this is who holds, this is how they hold, this is what procedure words we use," and so on so forth. On every building, every room, every intersection, you need to trust wholeheartedly that everyone knows their role (breacher, point, etc.) and that they are just as dedicated to 360 degree security as you are. ;)

Do some stupid drills where you set up 8 chemlights on the ground and make a fictional building to see how well your men (and women!) move through a room and what you can improve on. Find a ghost-town and discuss with your team what you like done and why you prefer it done that way. Bottom line? Just work together on coming to agreements. It'll save everyone's life. I promise.

Comment

Thanks for the find, it's a very interesting read.

Another point I noted that could be applied to our advance in the city yesterday is this:

The infantry should never attack in MOUT without tanks or CAAT.

Comment

True. On the other hand, you really need to look after those tanks. They've got even less room to maneuver to avoid AT.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

The Squad Leader can assign each member of his or her squad to a position before moving out. Assign one to each of the corners for security while 2 or more go to the entrance of compound. The 2 at the entrance first peek and announce "Clear" before going in. The one on the right of the entrance will be looking into the left of the compound, the one on the left will be peeking right. Once "Clear" is sounded the team member at the right side of the entrance will move in, keeping on the right and against the wall, the one on the left moves right behind the other member but moving left and close to the wall. The corner posted team members, hearing "Clear" move back to the entrance and enter the courtyard, but stay close and just inside the entrance way. They will now provide courtyard security for the other team members as they finish clearing the buildings. All that should be heard is "Clear", thru out the whole process.

Keeping close to the wall, when entering the yard will help to protect your rear. In the mean time, as you are moving at a slow pace, looking and listening, I highly recommend a 180 degree eye span thru out the whole process. Don't rush it or you will be sorry. This is a team effort for the team's security, your buddy is counting on you to keep diligent.

Well, that's all I can add at this time, please feel free to correct or add to this.

Comment

You guys have no idea what I have in store for you within the next month or two....

It could possibly be the most draining event of your lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Sector_15504 View Post
              You guys have no idea what I have in store for you within the next month or two....

That's what she said.

Comment

I did?

Pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Sector_15504 View Post

It got anything to do with what certain things were added to the TG maps pack as of recently? Or am I just going on like a mad person?
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                    It got anything to do with what certain things were added to the TG maps pack as of recently? Or am I just going on like a mad person?
                    Define recently. It could be on CLAfgan... or it could be not...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X