Bravo server password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bravo server password

So I am starting this thread , because even though a lot of people are talking about it I have not seen it in here.

I wanted to open a discussion on the bravo server password issue. For someone to play on Bravo he should have TS in order to use acre. With an open server though most of the people who join are not on TS. There are always issues with people not wanting to be on TS or register in the forums but not leaving the game; Or people who want to use VON instead.

I completely understand the function of a no-password server, but I think that it would be nice to at least have a password on 3-4 days. This way we benefit from both sides, we still get to show people how we play but we also enjoy ourselves without having to spend more than half our time trying to convince people to get on TS. We could also include the TS address and the server name so people can access it easily.
    - - -

I have personally witnessed a problem with non-responsive players not getting on ts exactly once so far in 2012. It happened in domi. Someone grabbed a chopper when they shouldn't have. It was all resolved within about five minutes, and caused very little inconvenience.

I've also personally been involved in helping maybe four or five people get on ts, or at least try to.

Going by this albeit circumstantial evidence, I feel that the benefits of a password-free server far outweigh the costs, and must strongly recommend to those who make the decisions that the status quo be maintained regarding passwording the server.

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Re: Bravo server password

I have helped a lot of people come on TS mainly from the alpha server. I have been on bravo 10-15 times in 2012 and all those times there were problems. I know the benefits of the pass free server which is why I suggested a few days to have it on. I do not mind helping at all, but when you get player after player and they do not listen or they get on ts but not have acre and you help them and then another one comes, then you end up not playing at all. If I am wrong then ok but this is what I think.
      - - -

Comment

Today, we had 2 new players that refused to get on TS. One of them (Johannes) replied once that he couldn't make it work, but ignored all further attempts to contact him. The other player (battle29), completely ignored us. Together they spawned an Apache in the base using cheats, and took off to the main objective. Either have admins on 24/7 or have a password.
        Be careful around J.B.
        He's danish.

Comment

I have read a report today about these players in the CAA thread. They can be dealt with even after the fact.

I have seen very little reporting of problems of disruptive players on Bravo otherwise so I suggest that problems get reported properly. If there continues to be a problem despite that thats another rhing altogether.

If WarFairy you have seen problems all 10-15 times you have been on Bravo that is stuff the Admins need the details on.

Sent thru the ether via Tapatalk.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Phlogios View Post
            Today, we had 2 new players that refused to get on TS. One of them (Johannes) replied once that he couldn't make it work, but ignored all further attempts to contact him. The other player (battle29), completely ignored us. Together they spawned an Apache in the base using cheats, and took off to the main objective. Either have admins on 24/7 or have a password.
            make sure you raise a thread about it in CAA.

I wouldn't mind having passworded night's on Bravo only. I don't think we are struggling for a player base at the moment and it will allow some good tactical play without worrying about helping new players. I think new players are great to have but maybe having one or two nights a week passworded will alleviate some pressure on players. We definitely want to continue to promote TG and set an example when new players join and by offering assistance we do that.

At the end of the day its the GO's decision. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.
            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
            Former ARMA Admin
            Former ARMA TGU instructor
            Former TGU Headmaster
            Current Noob
            Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I am doing that as much as I can, but I was (still am) the new player on Bravo so I thought that people who dealt with the problem players and complained about them would have done so. I will report those as well then. I just want TG to also maintain the fun part for people who are already here and who, I assume, joined because of the team play/mature attitude. I love helping people, and those who know me know that, but once in a while I want to just play, or at least help people who want to be helped.
              - - -

Comment

I'd like to see Bravo passworded at least one or two nights a week, maybe even just for the weekends. (Apparently this system was used in the past)

Comment

Originally posted by Unk View Post
                  If WarFairy you have seen problems all 10-15 times you have been on Bravo that is stuff the Admins need the details on.
                  I guess there are two issues: one is problem players, and they need to be handled as described. The other is just the general time wasting and breaking of immersion caused by helping players who are enthusiastic about following our SOPs. I guess warfairy's referring to the latter for the majority of her 10-15 instances.

Like I said, however, I haven't seen either issue be significant enough that it would make me want password days. That's just my opinion.

As for phlogios' point about more admin coverage, this is something I've raised several times, and I don't mean anything but the utmost respect for the current overworked admins or GO but... what gives?

Arma seems to involve FAR more admin effort (one-on-one technical support and remote desktop to help people get six configured?!?) than, say CoD, which I've adminned here, yet we currently have maybe a third the admins for arma as CoD had?

Is there just a total lack of willing bodies?

Like I said, I don't mean to be disrespectful or step on anyone's toes by continuing to ask this. I'm just totally confused by the situation.

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

That is not what I mean at all, I do not get fussed about game immersion. I do not mind helping people who want to get on TS and who want to play. But having to help people who only leave 5 minutes after you have spend half an hour to get them on properly, or people who do not respond, or who say I do not want to be on TS I want to play and so on, or after the get on TS they want to do their own thing etc etc I always helped and will continue to do so for people who are new and who do not know how.

So all I am saying is that people who are here a lot should get a couple days to just enjoy game with people who want to play and be there as a team and have fun.
                    - - -

Comment

Everyone here raises good points. So I figured I would throw my hat into the ring. Putting a password on the server is as easy as a few mouse clicks, the admin team can make that happen. However, barring the one or two randoms that join with the intent on disrupting server play, we have had a semi-steady flow of players joining that really enjoy what we have to offer and are interested in joining TS and the community. Personally, I really see not having a password on the server as a bonus. It allows us to open our doors to players that wouldn't join otherwise. Its all about ease of access. If they can easily jump on the server and play a good few rounds they are more likely to stay. If they can't join they just leave and are never seen again.

Balfa, I hear what you are saying about Admin Staffing. Believe me. It is NOT a question of willing bodies at all. What it is, in fact, is me. I was very careful when I created the new admin team when I took over as GO. I wanted to make sure that EVERY SINGLE admin got along with each other. The last thing the players need is an admin staff going at it or picking apart each others posts in general discussion. That's not to say we don't tear into each other behind closed doors though. Sometimes I have to smack Lowspeed around a bit. Especially when he demands things like "being nice". A swift boot usually fixes that. But I digress. The point is I dont want to flood the title with 20 admins, half of which can't stand the other half or like to flex muscle in the forums and pick apart posts. I want an admin team that can think on its feet, work alone as well as with the group. I was very VERY careful when I picked the admins we have now.

So the fact that we have a small number is completely on my shoulders, and I understand that. I WILL NOT bring an admin on that the players don't trust, or the admin team has hesitations about. I wont do it. Everyone here deserves the very best from the admin staff. And that is our primary goal, to make sure you guys are taken care of first and foremost.

To help offset the admin team we have the Spartan group. They help when we aren't around, lead when others wont, and help police the server. That doesn't mean you all shouldn't because "someone else will". It is just another tool provided to the players to help keep the game running they way they like it.

All that being said, the admin team has always maintained the stance of "It is your guys/gals server". If there is a want for a password, or password nights let us know. We would be more than happy to oblige. Thats what we are here for.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Password all the time = bad. But it'd be nice to have passworded times.

Or... could we use Charlie for that? Rather than barring Bravo from the world at large, just boot up the tester server for passworded play.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

I would not go for the two servers, I would not want to split up the players, but a few nights with people who know what we play like then that would be great. I think it is the best of both. As for the admin team, I think we all know how overworked they are. Anyway, I am going to let someone else take a stand as I do not want to be the one who come across as complaining. I know that the subject is discussed a lot so I wanted to bring it forth
                          - - -

Comment

And cookies for you for standing up to saying it. <Nods> The idea for chosing two servers is that if people check Bravo once on a password night, they may think, "Huh, another password protected server." and never come back. I dunno. I can see the reason for having password protection, and fully support it. But also slightly nervous of shoo-ing away new players. There's a fair few awesome players that found Bravo and therefore TG by just stumbling through the server listings.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

I would support one night a week requiring a password.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X