Command instruction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command instruction?

I was pushed by a certain anonymous TGer to offer this to the community, but before I go and act like it is a welcomed idea, I'd like to get some feedback first.

If I were to put together a, I dunno, demonstration/class/course on how to command, would anyone be interested?

Disclaimer(s):
    1. This will be my way of commanding.
    2. I recognize my way is not everyone's way.
    3. There are more organized and structured approaches than mine.
    4. I do not think my way is superior to others. (Except Luke's.)((He is a mandroid after all))

That being said, would anyone be interested in such a thing?

For some, the soldiers role is the most exciting. For some, piloting, others still, medicing. Me, I like commanding.

Anyway, let me know if anyone is interested.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: Command instruction?

I think something like this would be best if it was a joint effort so that we could get the several styles of command. Also, it'd probably work better as a read than a course itself. That way we could almost put together all the different ways of commanding that is done here at TG and put them in one spot without taking hours and hours and hours to 'teach' to people. Especially when something like commanding can't really be 'taught' it has to be learned through experience.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Excellent Feedback. Thank you.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I dunno...I like the idea of a class...maybe one not so long but broken down to some key aspects of what is needed. A primer, as it were.

Having someone assume the command function is key for enjoyable ARMA and the more people who feel comfortable doing it the more benefit to the servers. Some people learn better by doing than reading but I can see the value of both.

You could break it down to cover company command, platoon command, squad command and finally fire team command. Be careful though as each could be a class in and of itself.

Kudos on the initiative.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

To continue on Grunt's feedback one might also want to go trought the game technicalities necessary for commanding in different levels.

Stuff that comes to mind are radio procedures, Sthud, map markings etc.

Some of these are probably covered in different readme -files, TGU ACE courses and whatnot but compiling them to a nice laeders package might not hurt. :)
          [S7]Hablos
          Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

It's a nice idea, but I feel that commanding is something that isn't just picked up instantly from reading Sun Tzu, or someone telling you how to attack a particular village on a particular day with a particular setup. If you want to make a guide or course on how to be an effective commander, it should concentrate on how to work with your squad leaders. To know when to let your squad leaders take the reigns and when to take them back. Another thing is to make a plan that's quick, flexible and straight to the point.

There's more things that would greatly help new commanders but those are the things that would give them a great start, you could easily expand on them if you wanted to. Also if there's just one exact rule you want to put into your guide/course then it's this: If you are gonna be using formation, please, PLEASE use move orders for your grunts. If you tell them line formation and not where to go they are gonna be checking to see if they're walking in sync with the rest of the squad, and not checking what's in front of them or where they're suppose to be looking.

A personal suggestion is that if you want to teach people who want to learn to command, join them in a random mission, let them command and be their personal adviser, take the command medic role or something.

Comment

I agree with Axis.
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer
              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
              189th Infantry Brigade Member
              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                A personal suggestion is that if you want to teach people who want to learn to command, join them in a random mission, let them command and be their personal adviser, take the command medic role or something.
                It's funny you mention that. Because that is normally what I do. I believe in "cultural immersion" even in command. There are a few players out there who I try to make FTL's/SL's because I know they're interested in learning. I even assign XO's if the group starts to grow beyond one or two squads, for the purposes of a.) delegating communication and b.) Command oversight. There are so many different angles to command/management that one cannot anticipate. You'll hear no arguement from me that the best way to command is to jump in and DO IT!

Thanks for the feedback you guys, I do appreciate it.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

@Dimitrius

It would help us both if you contacted one of the TGU-I's (Instructor/s with CCing the rest if possible) to work in conjunction of the TGU's own curriculum. So there are no overlapping issues or confusions.

Many thanks.

LowSpeed

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

At this point, I'm not sure if you're telling me not to contribute or if you already have a curriculum in place which you do not want tinkered with. I'm also only talking about ARMA2 command, which is a special animal in itself.

I think I'll just keep my instruction to one on one within game. I do not want to be the only piece of kelp on the side of the boat. I understand smooth sailing.

Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate it and I won't create or upload any command material without reaching out to TGU first. I do not know who they are, but I'm sure if I research it myself, I can figure out who it is.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

@Dimitrius

By all means keep at what you are doing. To make my message clear.
                      That previous post was my way of telling you "let's work together"

...effectively. I hate wastages :)

TGU Members/Instructors
                      (Alphabetically, off my memory)

TGUI = Tactical Gamer Instructor

Dredge TGU Dean
                      BlackPython/ZephyrDark TGUI
                      CharlesDarwin TGUI
                      J.B. TGUI
                      LowSpeedHighDrag TGUI
                      All of the mentioned names are ARMA2 related Instructors.
                      TGUIs forum names are the same.
                      Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM. Reason: forum names

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Hey,
                        I think its a nice idea of doing "Courses" for the different Leading-Positions.
                        The Position of the Leader is a really important role. SL for example needs to be in contact with CO all the time, and he needs to know the proper use of Radio-Communications.
                        For some people (like me) its easier to learn by watching, if they have an "example" to orientate on. Some people learn better by reading, but the most important thing is "experience" and trying it our yourself.
                        Such courses could help people to step into leading-roles they may not take on a "real mission".

If such a course or something will be done, i would participate (If its not Midnight-German Time =)

Greetings
                        Andy

Comment

If you want a good place to learn some good command and maneuver ideas play the game combat mission shock force :)

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                          The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

I Would suggest working from the bottom to the top. Start with grunt to FTL to SL and those will set the basics for XO and CO positions. It's your idea Dimi, do with it as you see fit.

Comment

Thank you all for the input, for a second I misunderstood the direction you were guiding me in. I will reach out for more info to the TGU instructors.

Much appreciated.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X