Map Reading - Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Reading - Request

I just seen the "Navigation Course" forum post and I am wondering if it is possible that there will be another one of those training courses happening soon?

As of right now I can only read the map from points such as X Y Axis (e.g "04198108")

Where the Y would be 041 and the X would be 810.
    However that is as far as my knowledge expands on this.

As some of you might have noticed, I wasn't staying quite frosty throughout my year or two with ArmA OA :P
    "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
    "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
    "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Re: Map Reading - Request

Oooh, I'd drop by and teach some stuff now, but it's stupid-o-clock. JB knows more than me in terms of terms, but I can probably go over terrain / topography etc.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

We are having quite a few people join in so I think there will be courses again, make a request here :) otherwise for the basics just hop in the server and ask away :)
      - - -

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
        I just seen the "Navigation Course" forum post and I am wondering if it is possible that there will be another one of those training courses happening soon?

As of right now I can only read the map from points such as X Y Axis (e.g "04198108")

Where the Y would be 041 and the X would be 810.
        However that is as far as my knowledge expands on this.
        You can post a request in the TGU Class Request Thread.

I can give you one tip to help you now...think of the MGRS (Military Grid Reference System) as (x,y) for plotting, so x is the number along the bottom/top of the map, and y is along the sides.

So 04198108 would be 0419 along the bottom(x), with 8108 being along the side of the map(y). Paraphrasing JB from the nav course, "You slide along the bottom, then climb the ladder".

Easiest way to check yourself is to have a GPS equipped and look at the display of that to compare to what you came up with.
        sigpic
        [squadl][conduct]

Comment

Think he said he had the MGRS thingy, just wasn't sure how to get his current location from terrain features and stuff.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
            Think he said he had the MGRS thingy, just wasn't sure how to get his current location from terrain features and stuff.
            Yes but he had x,y backwards, and would never find anything from the way he posted it.
            sigpic
            [squadl][conduct]

Comment

Originally posted by woof View Post
              Yes but he had x,y backwards, and would never find anything from the way he posted it.
              Ah, yeah I knew I made a mistake somewhere with the numbers.
              "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
              "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
              "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

If there is a want from the players to do a land Mac course we will host an official tgu one. If its onesies and twosies I would be more than happy to teach a small group on the server during game hours.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

If I end up teaching map reading, it'll turn into a geology lesson. "See, this ridge is probably because of a harder layer of strata that didn't erode as fast as the others. And this random hill in the field? An outlier of harder rock." Even worse in Takistan. Rock formations EVERYWHERE.

Pepper

Comment

Hi,

I was a Terrain Analysis Technician (Warrant Officer) in the U.S. Army for 20 years. I also have been a cartographer for 30 years and I work at Digital Globe, Inc. If you need assistance teaching map reading, I would be glad to help.

TMan
                    sigpic

Comment

TMan! Credentialicious! :O

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

I have an A-Level in geology! >->

Pepper

Comment

T if we host a course how much will it cost the ArmA Team to get you as a guest instructor? Our budget is kinda slim. Had to raise Lowspeeds checks cause he was talking about telling some newspaper about the hostile work environment or something. I stopped listening and kicked his chair over. I mean really? Hostile work environment? pfffft.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by TMan View Post
                            Hi,

I was a Terrain Analysis Technician (Warrant Officer) in the U.S. Army for 20 years. I also have been a cartographer for 30 years and I work at Digital Globe, Inc. If you need assistance teaching map reading, I would be glad to help.

TMan
                            Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
                            I have an A-Level in geology! >->
                            I used to eat rocks when I was little.

I found this video by Unk to be really helpful. Somewhere on youtube, there's a really good vid about the DAGR/Vector in ACE as well.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                            "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...