Better name tags?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better name tags?

I'm starting to get extremely frustrated with arma's (or is it ace's?) system of showing names of friendlies only if you point your cursor (gun barrel!) At them for a couple of seconds. When friendlies are clustered, it becomes almost impossible to id them reliably. It's wholly unrealistic because it should be easy to distinguish your fellow platoon members within 50m even if you can't see their faces, from their build, their posture, their body language and subtle differences in their uniform.

So, my point is, does anyone know of a mod, sever- or client-side, or maybe mission scripts that work like, say, call of duty, where you can see everyone's name all the time if they're within X metres, without having to fumble and beg for their names?

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Re: Better name tags?

It would be nice if Sthud had some more customization to it. Five colors to choose from and only a few different symbols are kind of limiting. Name tags across shoulderblades/backpacks/hats would be helpful, or some kind of compensation for the lack of sensory awareness. Such as an aura around certain members in a squad, or a hint of different shading about their character model?

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

That would really be interesting. To this moment I can only recognise three people, BuB, Zapp and Chief and that is because they have unique faces and I have played so much with them.

I agree the whole gun barrel pointing is annoying and a bit rude at times (yes I am one of those freaky people who do not like people pointing their gun at me for no reason). I have not heard of anything that could help the situation though.

To Dimitrius: The hug colours are linked to ArmA's colours. ArmA only had those 5 to seperate units and it is because of that that everyone can see the cahnges universally. I am guessing that it would also be a little bit disorienting to have a blast of colours at the bottom :P also maybe a bit distracting looking at the pretty colours move and move :madsmile:

Maybe a combination of what PR is using, where you can hit a key and have the names display. In PR you have to be very close to the players though. If that was done in a biger radius I think that might be helpful. No idea if it is doable though.
      - - -

Comment

I don't mind ACE's method of doing it, normally, I don't keep my rifle up unless theres a danger of enemy encounters in the immediate area. I can check who's who just by looking at them and theres no danger of aiming my rifle at them. Of course not everyone (including myself) always has their rifle lowered and it does happen. I remember seeing a script somewhere that automatically lowered your rifle when looking at friendly units; however, I don't remember how old it was and if it really worked.

I personally have never been a fan of the name-tags that were visible above players heads. I don't mind having to look at someone since I don't really refer to people by name while in-game unless they're in my fire-team. While trying to make sure who's who and if you're missing anyone, a roll-call normally fixes that. I also believe if people are close enough to block the ability to ID one of the people, then those people are too close to eachother and need to increase spacing. If theres a wounded player near another, well, they're both wounder, so they both need medical attention, so name isn't an issue. STHud helps me ID my fire-team normally since the normal loadout in a fire-team is an AR gunner, a Rifleman (who may or may not have AT) and a grenadier (or Asst. Auto Rifleman). STHud can ID players with AT and Autorifles/Machineguns that allows me to differentate those in my team. I also normally request from my squad leader that I get a diferent color in relation to my team. I normally pair blue w/ green and yellow w/ red so that my Fire-team can ID their FTL.

Essentially, the issue of ACE's ID system is that it suggests to players that they should lower your rifle to prevent ND injuries. What I would like to see is if they could allow it so the ID info is gathered not from the invisible crosshair but from the direction the player's head is facing me. If I had one major beef with the ACE ID system would be not being able to look behind me and tell who exactly is the player walking behind me without having to turn my whole entire body.
        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

If you examine your SThud carefully, you will see that before each name their is an identifying marker, indicating their kit loadout, that corresponds with their position in reference to your position. You are always the center mark. I use that quite often to know where everyone is at any given time, without calling out or pointing my sights at them. It has always been there to use, ck it out next time you are in game.

Comment

Yes that is true, and in small fire teams it works well. I wish there was a way to have labels as part of the uniforms. Like tape with magic marker on it.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Hud is my friend, and its always improving. It does what it was built to do and I thank Shack Tac for sharing it with us because I sure couldn't build a mod like that (or any mod).

Comment

Folks this is Arma2, and in it there are many helps to enable you to identify each other while in game. Hit escape twice and your squad or team leaders chevron will light up long enough to find him or her after spawning in. After that, your SThud will show who is in your Squad or team. Learn to recognize their voices, their kit loadouts, and etc. Develop a new set of seeing and hearing skills not used in other games. This will depend on your willingness to learn and develop these on your own. Developing keen senses in the field of Arma2 will and might keep you and your Squad on top of your surroundings and will provide little surprises.

p.s. When leading a Squad I will instruct my team to first call out " Sarge this is so and so" then they can ask or inform me anything they want. It helps me to know who is talking and to learn the sound of their voice to their name. Contact reporting supersedes this.

Comment

Wow, sounds like everyone's an idealist and not a realist. Really, Python, you've never had problems with cat herding in arma? The reality is, sometimes random people in other squads are randomly somewhere they shouldn't be, like standing right behind my fire team member by that window on the north side of the building. He's not on my short range channel and he's not responding to "hey you". Am I supposed to waste time trying to get my fire team member, who wasn't the most responsive to begin with, to id the guy then tell me who it is so I can tell him to get back to his own team? Am I supposed to leave my position watching south east to walk over there so I can get the right angle to id him myself?

I know how to use sthud. It's a great tool and it does what it sets out to do well, but there are some things it doesn't (and shouldn't) do. If you're taking casualties and not folding small combat-ineffective remnants into each others teams, then you're doing something wrong. If you are doing that, and the mission doesn't have a group changing switch like domi, then sthud sure isn't going to help you.

This thread isn't about sthud. Please keep it on topic.

WarFairy, I like the PR thing. If that worked on a longer range and if you didn't have to press a key (or even if you did, probably not a big deal) it would probably perfectly solve my problem.

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

It can be done with a script balfa

If you have a look at a mission called Patrol Ops 2 (here is a link http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...l-Operations-2 )

It has an option in the mouse wheel settings where you can turn on what he calls a 3d hud which displays the payers rank and name above his head as a 3d text ingame.
                    So what you see when you look at a player is his name floating above his head. Problem is this script isnt distance releated if i remember right.
                    I dont think it would be to hard to alter this to be distance related and maybe turn it into a client side mod rather than a mission script.

Hope that helps m8

I use patrol ops 2 in a mission I am working on but i removed the hud because myself I found it too much like arcade
                    But that's my opinion and not what you asked for... so feel free to ignore my opinion :)

Hmm thinking about it you could probably attach the script to only group leaders Which would make Finding the FTLs etc... alot easier

BL1P
                    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

I see where your going Balfa. This is a problem on custom missions where you don't have the ability to turn markers on/off. It becomes a bit of an admin issue perhaps when you have team mates who don't know to communicate. Ya, it's clunky to deal with figuring out who they are but if someone isn't responding then your force to make a decision as to whats the bigger threat...the enemy or your lonewolf. I don't know of a mod that will check for names. The only other solution I can think of off the top of my head is the Shac-Tac/process of elimination combo. As in, I see my AR, my Rifleman/AT and myself so I know it must be my Asst. AR.

If anyone knows of such a mod it'd be interesting to know it's out there. I personally like having less info on my screen but while doing other duties it's good to have more info. I also agree Balfa that knowing who is who is entirely realistic and could be a good case for such a name tag.
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer
                      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                      189th Infantry Brigade Member
                      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X