This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Language Creep

There appears to be a natural "creep" of colourful language that occurs. :icon13: It is time for a reminder that many of the spicy slang phrases in common use by the kool kids are not acceptable here. Doesn't matter if you mask what you mean by using symbols instead of letters, replacement words for the real ones...it's not acceptable.

I won't go into a long deal here but just we are all aware this rule is not up for debate at Tactical Gamer. All conduct is expected to conform to this at all times. This has not yet become a big deal but it has been progressing and so this reminder. Lets get the tone back and continue our kid/parent and IT/language filter - friendly kind of atmosphere.

Thanks for you help. :icon14:
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Heard understood acknowledged
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: Language Creep

If I may, I would like to add to what Unkl said.

Using inappropriate languages and comments are one of the fastest ways to get an attention from an admin. With appropriate consequences.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I've been guilty of this on more than one occasion. Acknowledged, will tone it down.
        sigpic Armed Assault
        MCpl Bloggins

Comment

I'm noticing that more and more players are forgetting the the "language creeps" specially the late hour game plays. (after 2200EST)

May I remind those that wear the |TG| tags or not. By playing here, and signing up in the forum; you have all agreed to follow the Primer and SOP.

For those players that are new/old, occasional slips happen but please by any means do not make it into your normal usage. We do have kids playing and with in the earshot in our households.

I am also, disappointed. Seeing regular visitors and specially long time players at TG ArmA not reminding the players not in the know of their use of colourful language. Or worse yet, allowing it to continue. If you guys don't step up, to better the community. Who will?

[Admin hat on]
          If I hear anyone slip due to more than a banana peel, don't be surprised if you get kicked off the server without any warning from me.
          [Admin hat off]

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I agree with the above mentioned post. Don't be my first KICK.

Comment

Guilty here of the mic picking up the odd curse under my breath on occasion. The Irish aren't terribly well known for their language discipline in general.

Will try to uphold the example on the servers.

Comment

While I don't personally care whether the language code is there or not, I think it's good to remember that 'cussing' or 'expletives' are just a form of frustration. Everyone gets frustrated when they have certain expectations that are not met. Expletives of the old days (Gosh, Shucks etc.) are no longer offensive and now we have a new set that are. While the admins are reminding the community to hold themselves to a higher standard, I'd like to remind the admins that we are not robots and language are a form of idiosyncrasy and not easily forgotten or habitually broken. People don't join the server and try to make the admins job harder or try and splinter the community. Old habits die hard.

While I seem to be quite biased on such an opinion (I probably am) I feel that individual warnings are quite unnecessary and blanket statements are a better solution to the problem. This post is such an example, an excellent example. Community/channel (when in TeamSpeak) warnings are best when things seem to be going awry or the community seems to be forgetting it's roots. This is mine own and others opinions who I've talked to.

Keep calm and carry on.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this and posting. I'm glad to see that players are using the forums more and more.

To expand on your "own and others opinions who I've talked to", I'd really appreciate the "others" to post in the forum as well.
                  Our GO posted a Community Climate Survey, it may be helpful to post there with this issue. The survey ends on Sunday.

Sometimes giving out blanket statements as you have mentioned works. Provided that the member of the community police themselves to the higher standard. However, more often than not. We are failing the latter, terribly.

So far, giving notice to the individuals had a more positive outcome. Players warned may feel otherwise, but this is Tactical Gamer. Deal with it. Until we see a progress among our player base to correct each other and better each other, we are left with very little options.

Players are not robots (quite obviously), and languages are a form of idiosyncrasy. However, we all learned by getting to our age now (whether you are 12 or 60). That washing your hands after using the toilet is a good habit. It may be idiosyncratic for each person, but it benefits the group in a bigger scale then the individual alone. You don't want eat with dirty hands do you?

Comment

Originally posted by zebra.actual View Post
                    While I don't personally care whether the language code is there or not, I think it's good to remember that 'cussing' or 'expletives' are just a form of frustration. Everyone gets frustrated when they have certain expectations that are not met. Expletives of the old days (Gosh, Shucks etc.) are no longer offensive and now we have a new set that are. While the admins are reminding the community to hold themselves to a higher standard, I'd like to remind the admins that we are not robots and language are a form of idiosyncrasy and not easily forgotten or habitually broken. People don't join the server and try to make the admins job harder or try and splinter the community. Old habits die hard.

While I seem to be quite biased on such an opinion (I probably am) I feel that individual warnings are quite unnecessary and blanket statements are a better solution to the problem. This post is such an example, an excellent example. Community/channel (when in TeamSpeak) warnings are best when things seem to be going awry or the community seems to be forgetting it's roots. This is mine own and others opinions who I've talked to.

Keep calm and carry on.
                    First, Zebra.actual you should care whether the language code is there or not cause without one, many of us would not be here. Also, frustration is a feeling and not a bunch of colorful words that many use to express that feeling.( We all get frustrated either with others or our selves). The words you choose to express that feeling is a choice you make. The TG Primer and Sop's clearly outline the choice we have to make in regard to the language of the forums, videos, and in game participation, which without them, their would be utter chaos.

So, since you kindly reminded us Admins that you are not a robot, I am sure you have the ability to choose to reread and abide by the TG Primer and make the right choice. As for me, Zebra.actual the TG Primer is not a game, but it gave me a place to game in an atmosphere of fellow gamers. And believe me, I will protect that which is worth standing up for.

P.S.Try using other adjectives to express your feelings.
                    Last edited by SARGE; 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

First of all that was a really unnecessary comment you made their Sarge. I think you need to take it less personally and understand that this is the internet and that grammar is not the topic.

I too have occasionally been subject to this language problem and have respectfully been told to "watch the language" and i am more than happy to conform with the rule because if you don't abide, then you simply can't play in the best Tactical gaming community in the world.

I understand that people play on speakers and have kids around but whatever the case, in-game audio also has 'cursing' so i have to ask myself the question, shouldn't those people offended by the language be implementing their own measures to solve it for them? IE Headphones?

Lets face it, swearing a part of war and its unrealistic to say people wouldn't swear because it just happens, whether you mean to do it or not, and as a Tactical Realism community i think that it should be more acceptable here than any were else!

This may sound like a bold statement to make since i haven't been here for that long but i also believe that there are more people okay with bad language than people who are not, i think even some of the admins that enforce the rule it would be happy to scrap it and thats why they don't always remember to remind people.

I mean no disrespect to anyone and i am just showing what i think, i will continue to be happy to abide!
                      sigpic

Comment

@ Tictac reread the TG Primer and abide by it, primer abiding grammer and actions is the topic.

Comment

Accidents happen, words get said. Unfortunately instant voice chat doesn't have a chance to edit before pressing enter to allow you to "undo" words. Personally often find it hard to keep a lid on my choice of words (I swear 'like a sailor', or whatever, outside of TG and the TG tags). Tictac does raise an interesting point re: exposure of children to 'swears' in the game, although I think it boils down to this...

Primer. Obey it. You can debate it, but while it's here, obey it.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Alrighty..Everyone needs to calm down. Take a breath. It will be ok.

Firstly, the language rules are here for a reason. TG likes to keep a PG atmosphere because of the range of players we have with regard to age and the like. Plus we have players that are and can get offended by them. Others have kids in the room and use speakers.

I have talked about this many times with other titles here, and have heard everything from every perspective. "The game swears, its an M game, its war" the list goes on. The simple fact is our community has very specific rules on the matter. Personally, I feel that adhering to the rules not only shows you respect the rules we have but understand that following them shows others that you agree with what Tactical Gamer is and represents. If you really do value TG you will respect the rules no matter how small or moot you may think they are. The community's good as a whole is the driving force of everything you should be doing within TG. If following the rules, to include the little ones about language, makes TG itself better then you are on the right track. Everyone needs to remember that.

You should always ask yourself "Is what I'm doing right now promoting what TG stands for and strives for".

With that said, lets re-rail this thread and continue in a civil manner. No attacks on players or admins.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

At the end of the day, TG is the daddy of the house; while we're under his roof, we abide by his rules. It's common courtesy. Why the rule is there, or its legitimacy, is not the question here. Accidents happen, people say sorry, and we play on.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X