TvT Interest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] TvT Interest?

Im going to make this short because Im on break at work.

How many people here are interested in TvT games? We very rarely play it here and its something I miss from PR:BF2. When we have 20+ players on some nights Id like to run a few games of TvT. They are usually quite short, fun and simple to complete.

I find that sometimes they can be alot more fun than Coop because you actually have to plan against people who plan against you, instead of planning against dumb bots who only know how to shoot.

Im gathering peoples interests on it here because Ive seen TvT be thrown on the server immediately followed by rage quits. Or I suppose they would be "argh I hate TvT"- quits.

Gi

Edit: Just thought about something. Following the trend of tactical tuesdays, how about a TvT designated evening? TvT Thursday perhaps? Just throwing it out there.
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Re: TvT Interest?

I like the sound of weekly TvTs!
    I used to shy away from TvTs, but that was usually because I'd get my butt kicked. Now I like them because they give a much better immersion and adrenaline pump when it is another human being trying to shoot you.

I will go ahead and brew on something soon!
    |
    | |

"Kirov is boss"
    CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

If I wanted tvt I would go play at PR Arma, where tvt is given the love it desires. I don't rage quit, I just do not play it. More times than not, in Arma it turns into people hunting each other and the teamwork and mission just head south.

Comment

First of all, funny you should mention that, Joe, I just had a few people testing a tvt mission of mine yesterday that's just about ready to be submitted for upload to bravo ;)

I like the idea of a designated night for it. But didn't it used to be the case that once we had enough people on the sever from the seeder mission, that we's switch and start playing coop and tvt almost alternating between them 1 for 1? Or am I hallucinating again...("due to their use of drugs")?

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
        More times than not, in Arma it turns into people hunting each other and the teamwork and mission just head south.
        This may be partially true, but I'd have to ask why that might be? Surely a skilled team that perfectly executes a plan using teamwork would annihilate a skilled team that has no teamwork? Are we just that bad at making good plans and leading their execution that it makes no difference whether we try or not?

And if that were the case, couldn't you say the same thing about any other player vs player shooter, even the ones endorsed and embraced by tg as teamwork-centric games like bf2, bf2pr, arma pr, etc?

Is it that our leaders are all hopelessly inadequate? Our tvt missions not at all oriented towards teamwork? Hardly. Is it that the player base may have become complacent having killed so many bots that run out into the open in front of you then stand still?

I think at the very least, it's more than worth trying out a weekly thing. Get our finest leaders as co on each side, treat your virtual life with respect, and battle it out over a realistic objective. Then we should spend some time writing up AARs, and get some discussion going over what may have gone wrong or right, what could be done better, and whether or not there really is something intrinsically flawed about tvt on arma?

I'm looking forward to it no matter what the outcome.

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Joe and Chief are right on. When you’re doing a coop and someone slots in as opfor the whole game takes on a different dimension. And this is not clearer than playing Insurgency and hunting for caches in an AI infested city and then have a live opfor start hunting you. You end up not looking for caches but spend your time hunting opfor and trying not to be the hunted. But I like PR:BF2 also so a TVT would interest me. Just be aware that the minimod PR:V to PR:BF2 is supposed to be released this Friday. You might want to forget Arma for awhile, fire up PR:BF2 again and find your jungle boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
            Or am I hallucinating again...("due to their use of drugs")?
            I see what you did there :)
            Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends
            St. John 15:13

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
              If I wanted tvt I would go play at PR Arma, where tvt is given the love it desires. I don't rage quit, I just do not play it. More times than not, in Arma it turns into people hunting each other and the teamwork and mission just head south.
              Chief, while i appreciate your info I dont think you are going the same direction as me. PR:ARMA is very limited in respect to what you can do on the Bravo server. To me its just a waste not having TvT on there because that is the way you can only have TRUE opponents. In real life there are no artifical intelligence against humans (yet anyways *thinks terminator*).

And while id have to agree that TvT often does spiral into team death match instead of objective play, Id like to ask you why you think that is? Personally I would say its because the mission isnt doing its job to keep people wanting to play the objective or the team CO isnt doing his/her job. Everyone here should play the objectives as they are laid out from command (mission maker) and if they arent doing that then they need to be put back in line. We have a mature community of tactical gamers and if they cant play a mission without spiraling into TDM, then we should probably have a look at ourselves.

And I didnt mean rage quit Chief, I do not intend to make anyone who leaves because they dont want TvT to be labeled as a rage quitter. Which is why I added in "argh I dont like TvT" :D

@Zapp

You are indeed right, PR:V is coming out this week and Im very excited for that. Problem being that it suffers from the same thing PR:ARMA does and thats the limits of the game. The BF2 engine is incredibly limited compared to the ARMA one and its shown over the past years. What I am proposing here is giving TvT on Bravo, with ACE and ACRE a chance and see how it goes.

Just a few days to see how everyone likes it is all Im asking for. If the majority of people dont like then so be it and if they do then awesome.
              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

My opinion on TvT:

As long as there are clearly defined objectives as well as systems in place to prevent meta-gaming as well as turtle'ing (aka PR Syndrome) ,that they're fine; however, when a TvT has a vague objective such as "go here and do this" and the other team has the objective of "go here, prevent them from doing this here" it turns into a "New Obj: Kill other team".
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I'm interested. While I mainly prefer coop, it's nice to have some TvT mixed in now and then.

Some thoughts/issues I've seen so far:
                  * Sometimes the mission area is much too large for the amount of players (on meeting engagement type missions)
                  * Radio frequencies need to be independent per side (which can be done through scripting I believe) so that you can only listen in if you grab a radio off a dead enemy

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

Originally posted by Siantis View Post
                    I'm interested. While I mainly prefer coop, it's nice to have some TvT mixed in now and then.

Some thoughts/issues I've seen so far:
                    * Sometimes the mission area is much too large for the amount of players (on meeting engagement type missions)
                    * Radio frequencies need to be independent per side (which can be done through scripting I believe) so that you can only listen in if you grab a radio off a dead enemy
                    You can preset the default channels; however, you can still listen in to your enemy. Currently the ACRE Radio GUI is in all sense, broken. While we can swap preset channels and alter our power and volume, those are the only working functions with the GUI. The custom radio freq. system is completely BBAR (Broken Beyond All Repair). I remember posting on their issue tracker a while back about it, and they replied stating that for it to work they'd have to revamp the entire GUI/Dialog system.
                    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I mean setting the freqs from a script, not through the GUI. I have a script from a mission I unPBOd that is supposed to do it, but I haven't tested it. I can PM it to you if you'd like.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

Simple solution that works at other communities. Seperate BLUFOR and OPFOR TS channels.
                        |
                        | |

"Kirov is boss"
                        CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

I, for one, support TVThursdays, and was going to make a post about this very topic earlier in the week. Glad to see the playerbase is there, as there are some really phenomenal TVT missions already active on Bravo that are severely underplayed.

Comment

Fighting a human that moves, can panic, and doesn't have lazer like accuracy than can shoot me through 2 trees and a bush from 500 yards? Sounds like a fair trade off.

I've played a total of 2 TVT missions, both were of an assault and defend flavor within a city. They say there is nothing more exhilarating than hunting another human.
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

I like a sprinkling of TVTs for us. A light sprinkling ;) And I agree that we should start with very small AO's to minimize the round length. Nothing kills a server faster than a nonrespawn mission - TVT or COOP.
                              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X