TGU Basic Infantry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] TGU Basic Infantry

I have been noticing a lack of understanding of the most basic formations and manoeuvres so I am throwing this WIP up even though it is still a WIP.
    Read it, it is basic knowledge for playing tactically in ArmA.

https://docs.google.com/presentation...dit#slide=id.p

Continuous rant:
    • Too many misfires and blue-on-blue. Put your weapon on safe and down when not in contact.
    • Too many times people are talking in over each other on the radio. If someone already has the net, don't interrupt.
    • Read the above link and learn the manoeuvres!
    Last edited by J.B.; 04-02-2012, 09:24 PM.
    |
    | |

"Kirov is boss"
    CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Re: TGU Basic Infantry

Just read it once. Overall a good guide, especially about infantry formations. I had to read over the "safe passage" section a second time though, just to understand what it was.

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

It's a good read folks. Do it! :)

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

One more tactical instruction http://silencers.de/~army/sfh/FieldHandbook.pdf

Comment

This is looking sharp J.B. thank you.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Due to ACRE being ACRE, if you're talking the radio, you can't hear any incoming traffic on the same channel.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

That is not the point. People interrupt others when they are transmitting. So they talk over each other and makes it so no one can distinguish the two signals form each other.
              |
              | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
                Due to ACRE being ACRE, if you're talking the radio, you can't hear any incoming traffic on the same channel.
                You mean due to two way radios being two way radios and acre accurately modeling them? :P

That's the whole reason that the real people say "over" when they're done talking and that the other real people wait for them to say "over". The TG people need to be more like the real people :P

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
                  You mean due to two way radios being two way radios and acre accurately modeling them? :P

That's the whole reason that the real people say "over" when they're done talking and that the other real people wait for them to say "over". The TG people need to be more like the real people :P

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.
                  That's true. I don't know why, but sometimes people don't use "Over", "Out" and "Break" in their radio messages, which really confuses me sometimes.
                  Also they change their way of talking from "military radio procedures" to "private chatter" sometimes, which is confusing and "weird"...
                  Saying "Over" and "Out" is really important, even in ArmA, because sometimes its hard to know when they are finished, especially if you don't listen to their transmission.

I like the "Basic Guide", because it shows the most important formations and it shows how to properly set up security while moving/crossing roads, so you have 360 cover most times.
                  I also like the "Tutorial" on how to spot enemies.

Comment

That's really helpful, thanks!
                    Yeah,the avatar is supposed to be like that :D

Comment

One thing I however have to give credit to is the reaction to contact in terms of immediate suppression. The enemy has a hail lead coming their way within the first 5 seconds. Keep that up! Fire superiority at the opening stage of an engagement can be the deciding factor since it gives the unsuppressed side the choice of the first move, which in turn seizes the initiative from the enemy as they have to react to whatever action the unit takes.
                      |
                      | |

"Kirov is boss"

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                        One thing I however have to give credit to is the reaction to contact in terms of immediate suppression. The enemy has a hail lead coming their way within the first 5 seconds. Keep that up! Fire superiority at the opening stage of an engagement can be the deciding factor since it gives the unsuppressed side the choice of the first move, which in turn seizes the initiative from the enemy as they have to react to whatever action the unit takes.
                        This is something I'd like to see more of. Often in game you get "what are you shooting at? stop it!". Suppression DOES work against the AI (if not to the same extent as human players). I'm not saying spray and pray at some dude 1KM away, but a brief period (5 seconds?) of heavy fire followed up with about a round a second at the enemy.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

Originally posted by Siantis View Post
                          This is something I'd like to see more of. Often in game you get "what are you shooting at? stop it!". Suppression DOES work against the AI (if not to the same extent as human players). I'm not saying spray and pray at some dude 1KM away, but a brief period (5 seconds?) of heavy fire followed up with about a round a second at the enemy.
                          Even if suppression does work against AI, here's what it DEFINATELY does - aggro AI to start firing at YOU! It's been my unfortunate luck that if I'm in the squad being ambushed by AI, and I open fire at the enemy trees/rocks, I end up dead a very short time after. If I instead wait two or three seconds, find the threat and in the meantime move toward whatever cover is to be had, I live the majority of the time.

I'm not being selfish here, I'm no good to the squad dead. I will generally locate my AI target then open fire (the exception being in CQB, I'll empty my weapon at a chair if it's silhouette looks hostile... lol)
                          If i'm opening fire before finding my target, two things ALWAYS happen in my experience 1. The recoil and muzzle flash/smoke obscure part of my view, further inhibiting my ability to pick out the enemy in the distance 2. I almost immediately start getting hit by bullets. A third thing that will happen is that if i'm dumping out half of my magazine before I even know where the enemy is, that's half my magazine I don't have to BEGIN suppressing the enemy with. Likely my suppressing rounds are too inaccurate to be suppressing, so now i'm reloading against an enemy focused on shooting the guy unloading rounds very very fast who just happens to be trying to reload....

This is what i've come to learn battling ARMA2 AI.
                          Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                          A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

If only a few are putting down suppressive fire then indeed they will become targets. I have been also ordered to lay down suppressive fire when I've had nothing to put my round towards and it seemed futile. The other night as a squad lead I'd ordered suppressive fire and my squad stopped firing saying their fire was ineffective when the purpose wasn't to get hits but to destract the enemy while another squad moved. So, there is many sides to any situation.

The individual cannot make the decision to suppress or not. The first reaction to contact should be to fire back while moving to cover. You may be on a stealth mission and your ROE is red. Generally when being shot at you would shoot back but in this situation it's one gun, not accurate, you have cover nearby & an escape route to flank the objective by breaking contact that will work to your advantage. There is no hard & fast rule that fits every situation.

However, the general rule should be the norm. You fire back, your leader tells your group what to do next and by combining efforts appropriately you should be able to sustain the unit. What would you do if you weren't just playing Arma?
                            |TG-189th| Unkl
                            ArmA 3 Game Officer
                            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                            189th Infantry Brigade Member
                            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X