Ordered new gear to enjoy the remainder of ArmA2 and get ready for ArmA3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered new gear to enjoy the remainder of ArmA2 and get ready for ArmA3

So I decided to drop some money on new hardware and here is what I got.

1. Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I72600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115071

2. ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131760

3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    (ordered two of these to get 16GB total)

4. CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

5. My father had a XFX Radeon 5850 so got that to replace my XFX GTX 260.

I SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO NOW!
    FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Re: Ordered new gear to enjoy the remainder of ArmA2 and get ready for ArmA3

I know where you live :)

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Zap44, we will figure out how to split it later. You know the ole' yankee way, one for you, two for me, etc.

Comment

If I add all this hardware, do I HAVE to reinstall windows 7?

Spartan 4

Comment

I would probably do a fresh install anyway

Comment

Well I'm not sure where I placed my Windows 7 cd so I am asking if Windows 7 will not let me do the hardware upgrade without ABSOLUTELY having to reinstall it.

Spartan 4

Comment

Viper1986 ask the guys in the Hardware area of the forum also: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...re-discussion/

Comment

Windows 7 is pretty decent at dealing with new hardware so you shouldn't have to re-install, but like Scotty said i would try get your hands on the CD and to a fresh install. Also, that kit looks pretty sweet, i would of recommended the 2600k so you could overclock to make it more future proof, but never the less a decent rig!
                sigpic

Comment

If you bought the Disc at RETAIL (in a store, or specifically a RETAIL version online), then you are fine. If the PC was custom built or was supplied with an Operating System by the original manufacturer, you will very likely need to buy a Full version.

Long story short, there are two different types of licensing relevant to our convo, OEM/System Builder and RETAIL.
                  -OEM/SYSTEMBUILDER - allows installation on ONE PC. You can make limited upgrades before it considers it no longer the 'same' PC. Your upgrades would undoubtedly bump against that since you're basically saving your case from the sounds of it ;)
                  -Retail - is a broader 1 pc license, do with it on one PC as you please (in a very generalized summary at least).

Why the difference? Cost. The OEM version costs less than the full Retail version. Builders/major manufacturers save money since they only care about giving you the OS for that one PC until they sell you a new one! :)
                  Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                  A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

I bought the CD at retail as when I bought windows 7 i had heard rumors that if you did otherwise you would run the risk that W7 would not allow you to upgrade your PC.

Spartan 4

Comment

ha ha! I'm building a new rig too! almost the same specs. building mine for A3, enjoying it in A2 as well. "Oh, the coincidence." hope yours is just as fun as mine will be (still building it/buying parts). Good luck finding your OS disc. Like everyone else has already stated; I would seriously consider doing a fresh re-install.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                      "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Id would reinstall. Sometimes putting in entirely new hardware breaks your OS. If you dont format atleast remove all your drivers before swapping. I still strongly suggest formatting however. Backing up is easy and only takes a few hours tops. 2 hours of backing up is alot easier to deal with than a weekend of broken software issues that eventually end up in a format anyways.
                        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

From all your suggestions I am going to do a fresh install of windows. I have a 80 gig 10,000 RPM HDD that I will only install W7 on as my boot drive. The current hard drive will stay the way it is and I will try and see if I can just add new shortcuts to my desktop to look at where the new games, music, etc. is now located. Does this sound possible? I am trying to do as little rework as possible :)

Spartan 4

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X