X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Discipline?!

Hi guys, its me again :D

I'm playing on the the TG Bravo Server for some time now (don't know exactly how long) and i really love the way of playing.
    All the players, members and admins are very very friendly and are always there to help. I really like to play here.

But to get to the point of this thread:
    I love the way of playing here, but there is one thing, that could be improved in my eyes:

Radio Discipline:
    Espacially if playing Domination/Patrol Ops MSO, I noticed that some of people tend to use SideChat as Communications, don't use "Over" and "Out" on Short-/Longrange, and sometimes don't even use proper identifications on the radio. ("Hey you, its me")
    (Is it because of "Domination" being a "Seeder", or is it because of something else?)
    So I'm asking myself, why are we using ACRE, if some people use SideChat for Communications because one person has no radio or is out of range? Isn't the purpose of ACRE to simulate all that stuff (like ranges, hills etc) and make it more realistic?
    I personally don't like [hate] it, if people use SideChat (or chat in general) for ingame-communications, because at some point it makes ACRE "useless".
    I also think it is important to use proper Identifications on the radio, especially on the LongRange (Command Net) and to use "Over" and "Out".
    I don't want this to be a "hardcore" milsim, but i think some ingame-discipline should be there, to have a realistic and tactical gaming-experience.

Now I would like to hear your opinions/thoughts about this topic;

Greetings
    Andy

PS: As usual I don't want to cause any problems, I just want to talk about some stuff I am thinking about. I do not want to attack anybody or something like that.
    Admins feel free to delete this thread, if it causes any problems.

PS2: Oh my gosh... how often did I use "I"?

Re: Radio Discipline?!

I could have sworn that we had something somewhere in the SOPs about the use of Side Channel. I personally despise it when people use the in-game text chat as a work around of long range comms or the inability to understand someone. While it may "slow down gameplay" and make things more difficult, that really is the purpose of ACRE in my opinion.

Only thing I could find in the SOPs right now was:

Originally posted by http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault/174370-everything-you-need-thread-tg-arma.html#post1612294
    *Respect the radio rules established by the CO or Admin on duty...not doing so, will not end well for you.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

The side chat is a habbit I have from another server which I'm working on,
      As for ACRE, when I write down call signs to remember them I always begin like "Command, this is Watchdog 1 come in, over".
      And I hope, or wish everyone else does too, I play this game for it's realism, teamwork, tactics, and occasionally the laughs it brings.
      "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
      "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
      "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

About the only time I don't mind the use of sidechat is to tell JIPs where to go or to wait for transport, otherwise you have people either waiting around at base for an hour or taking assets they shouldn't.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrDark View Post
          I could have sworn that we had something somewhere in the SOPs about the use of Side Channel. I personally despise it when people use the in-game text chat as a work around of long range comms or the inability to understand someone. While it may "slow down gameplay" and make things more difficult, that really is the purpose of ACRE in my opinion.
          Uhh, Im pretty sure ACRE was made to give a much more realistic alternative to VON. Not specifically to slow down gameplay, if that was their objective then that is just dumb.

And sometimes you need to use sidechat for JIPs that are out of radio range. Just because its not "realistic" to use side chat doesnt mean some poor buggar has to have his/her play time wasted sitting at base while the people in the field have to take their time to go back into radio range. Doing that is also dumb. A quick blurb in side chat doesnt hurt anyones feelings. You CAN NOT and I really mean CAN NOT give up fun/enjoyability for tacticool. I dont care what anyone says, if it stops being fun for all then there is something wrong.

Boom.
          sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Radio Discipline:
            Espacially if playing Domination/Patrol Ops MSO, I noticed that some of people tend to use SideChat as Communications, don't use "Over" and "Out" on Short-/Longrange, and sometimes don't even use proper identifications on the radio. ("Hey you, its me")
            (Is it because of "Domination" being a "Seeder", or is it because of something else?)
            So I'm asking myself, why are we using ACRE, if some people use SideChat for Communications because one person has no radio or is out of range? Isn't the purpose of ACRE to simulate all that stuff (like ranges, hills etc) and make it more realistic?
            I personally don't like [hate] it, if people use SideChat (or chat in general) for ingame-communications, because at some point it makes ACRE "useless".
            I also think it is important to use proper Identifications on the radio, especially on the LongRange (Command Net) and to use "Over" and "Out".
            I don't want this to be a "hardcore" milsim, but i think some ingame-discipline should be there, to have a realistic and tactical gaming-experience.
            Domination and any other type of seeder has always been notoriously know for being lax on radio procedures and having side chat abused. But to first deal with chat, I have always seen side chat as a tool that is used on a administrative level by the players to help the server get along. This will 8/10 times apply to JIPs coming in and giving them directions on transport, maploc or any other information that will help them get into the fight and for that purpose I see no problem at all. It can be solved with a CO giving a plan-JIP/Respawn to a driver or pilot, but in the absence of one it doesn't take me out of my immersion to see side chat used. The use and abuse of chat for me is when the radios fail in terms of range and brevity and the players then resorts to chat to get their message trough that contains SITREPS, SALTA reports, maploc, information about the enemy that in one way or another affects the plan or how events would unfold. It's like the dead-man's rule we have (which is also broken using chats) where members of an unit have had their communications cut off from the group because they got hit and passed out, but use chat to tell them "Hey man, I just got shot by an BMP, 200m W of the objective. Use your javelin and you'll see it". Absolute no-go from me.

On radio procedures, TGU is aware of this and things are in the works. For the last week where I have been able to play at least 2-3 hours each day one thing in particular has had my face twitch in lemon-sour grimaces. When anyone ends their signal with "out" it literally means "Do not reply. The conversation is over". If there is anything in particular that has to be added to the previous signal either callsign initiates the contact from scratch "5, this is 1, message over". The usage of "out" is also something that a leader can use to give orders and cut through if the net becomes a discussion club: "1 and 2, this is 5. Start bounding now, out". The conversation is over, do it. It seems a bit harsh, but sometimes the CO simply has to boot their SLs who then in turn boots their FTLs who then finally tell their FT to get it together, get into position and cover East so the platoon can move safely.
            Last edited by J.B.; 04-09-2012, 08:30 AM.
            |
            | |

"Kirov is boss"
            CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

I'll just leave this here.

http://kezei.net/arma2/

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

^This

We have radio SOP's however they are more for the base game than the ACRE mod. Tell you what guys, give the team a week or so and let us draft up an SOP specific to ACRE.

The way I see it, on bravo, you should be using ACRE. VON should only be used in an administrative setting. Organizing JIP's sorting pre mission stuff. Once thats done it should only be used by the admin staff or if the voted admin is conducting server votes or the like.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I agree, side chat is there for administrative purposes. I have no problem using it to communicate with JIPs. I use it as an alternative to long range radio in the case that I lost my RTO or our 117 suddenly disappears into the ground, which I have seen happen. Other than that, it should not be utilized.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I disagree and would call that side chat abuse, Dimitrius. If you have lost your RTO in either sense of the word you do not resort to chat. If I am not mistaken the 117 disappearing into the ground is because the RTO respawns.
                    |
                    | |

"Kirov is boss"
                    CO49 Great Bear Part 1, 28APR2012.

Comment

I use it in Domi more than missions. Just last night we were on Patrol Ops and my 117 disappeared into the ground, all I did was drop it for a moment so I could sprint to another area and back quickly, when I got back, it sank into the ground, really frustrating.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I say this here, and I'll probably say it again later on in game and elsewhere. Do not double-click on rucks to drop them. It can be glitchy and you can lose you gear from them. Instead use the function of "Drop Ruck" when it is selected in your inventory. This will drop it as a physcial and interactable object. It will have a gear that you can access as well as the ability to drag/carry and pick back up.
                        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Yeah, I know, and I used "Drop Ruck." Not the first time it's happened, but we see occasional glitches so I chalked it up to that.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Out of character: You dropped it and it glitched.
                            In character: you dropped it too hard and it broke. Deal with it.

As for JIPs, having jips in the first place is unrealistic already. Having then spam with no way to "catch up" on the intel and commander's intent via magic blue text is actually less realistic than having them spawn on a military base and not actually know the slightest thing about what's going on or where everyone is, so to me side chat for jips management is fine.

Note to admins: while drafting the communications rules, can you address use of map markers in the rules? Technically, they're a form of communication. I personally never use them and whenever I'm in charge, the people beneath me don't, either. Use of map tools, especially with the copy map ability, makes the experience so much richer.

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Okay, what about circumstances where our transport is down, we're ten+ clicks from base, radio coms are out of range, there is no radio relay built into the map, we have no communication with jips, and there's already 4 waiting patiently for command to communicate with them?

I'm not challenging, I'm asking the question.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X