Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro, Feedback + Technical Issue

Hi all,

I signed up earlier this week and just wanted to say that I enjoyed a brief session on Arma2 on the Alpha server on Saturday evening. I'm a complete novice when it comes to Arma and in regards to technical issues also e.g. updates, mods etc...

The missions included a brief session on the Battlebus followed by Patrol Ops where a town needed to be taken and then a couple of radio towers needed disposing of. The first was led by Foam & the 2nd by Bubs. It was a good mix of people too, young and old and although things started slowly - I'm still getting used to the pace of Arma compared to BF3 - the tension & therefore rewards, were much greater; I panicked like a big girl's blouse when the enemy jeep approached from behind our squad whilst taking the radio tower (I was medic, and at the back!) until we riddled it with bullets!

The difficulty was that over the few hours I played there were two occasions where my program froze and only ctrl+alt+delete & a reboot would fix it. This was incredibly frustrating when you're becoming immersed in a mission, so I was wondering, have any of you had this problem and found the cause/cure?

Anyway, see you in the field!

Laters

Buko

Re: Intro, Feedback + Technical Issue

If you are still in game, yet, you lose video do this: Left shift, minus (-)key on numpad, then type the word "flush" without italics.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response & advice, will try that next time it happens.

Comment

No problem, I hope this works for you, and Welcome to TG.

Comment

Also can you post the specs of your computer?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Sure, I can try -

Processor AMD Dual- Core E2-3200 processor (2.4 GHz, 4.0 GT/s (DMI), 1 MB L2 cache)
            Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
            RAM 4 GB
            Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6370D
            Hard drive 500 GB
            Video interface 1 VGA, 1 DVI-D

I am slowly adding bits and bobs to it, and so far have added:

OCZ 500W ModXStream Pro Power Supply
            500W, 600W, 700W Configurations
            OCZ PowerWhisper Technology
            Internal 135 mm fan (500W,600W,700W)

+

Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card

The problem is - I have been using Macs for the last 6 years due to work, and now having to even install a graphics card in the PC led to blood being spilled - literally!
            It is working, however, whether it's particularily compatible with the driver I downloaded is debatable.
            I plan on updating the RAM next, though waiting for payday to do so.

FYI, Arma2 runs fine on medium settings with a great frame rate. It will play on the "high" settings though I lose too many frames to make it enjoyable. The "freezing" only happens when playing OP: Arrowhead scenarios.

Comment

Welcome aboard. Glad you found TacticalGamer. Looking forward to seeing you on the server.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I would recommend that if you upgrade anything, you start with the processor. That seems to be your biggest bottle neck with the setup you have. That may also explain the, lag, and freezeups as well.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Great, thanks for the advice. I will look into it.

Comment

I have to run my game in XP mode even though my rig is pretty darn good. It just crashes on windows 7 if I don't.
                    Go to properties on your arma2 exe and add to your startup parameters '-winxp' without the italics. Alternatively use arma2 launcher and tick the xp profile with that. Hope you get it going.
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Thanks - I played an hour or so with Simon last night and it ran great, the 'freezing' only happens now and again and it may be a hardware problem when the server gets filled up and lots of information is being recieved.

Last night we played a few side-missions to mixed results; a highlight would be the last AI standing jumped into an APC and managed to roll it in panic. As the APC slid down the mountain on it's side a T-72 appeared and, well, that was the end of us. 3rd time lucky we brought the RT down. There was also some experimental flying when the rear rotor got shot out and we still got to the objective without vomiting over the cockpit. I'm starting to enjoy this game.

Buko

Comment

Originally posted by Bukowski View Post
                        There was also some experimental flying when the rear rotor got shot out and we still got to the objective without vomiting over the cockpit...
                        Thats how I fly every time! ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Welcome to TG Bukowski!

One cause of your freeze ups/crashes may be hitting the upper limit of available RAM (Windows 7 takes a bunch, then your GPU buffer, leftovers is available to ArmA). If you only crash after several hours of play, I'd wager it's a out-of-memory/mem-leak issue. The second likely culprit is heat. Do you get a blue screen error, or any weird graphics glitches before you crash? Those would point towards heat being an issue (blue screen indicating CPU/RAM overheat, graphics glitches indicating GPU overheat).

On the bright side, system memory (RAM) is dirt cheap these days, and you're running a 64-bit OS, which means you'll actually get to use more of any RAM you install.

Any time I've worked on my computer, I've found a blood sacrifice is required for things to work without any troubleshooting. :icon16:
                          sigpic
                          [squadl][conduct]

Comment

Thanks Woof,

I'll be slowly tinkering with the hardware as time & paydays come along so I will hopefully see some improvement. I don't think overheat is a problem, the computer is quite new and the graphics card & new Power Supply Unit have multiple massive fans attached to keep the thing cool.

I will look into updating the RAM memory though, having looked around I can see it is quite affordable.

Thanks for the input - thanks to Zebra (I think that was the name?) last night also for walking me through my 6-updater ACRE issues, I owe you a pint.

Buko

P.s. Had a brief go on the Project Reality server last night - is it normal to be incredibly confused when first entering the game?

Comment

Yep PR can be a bit overwhelming at first. One big tip is there is an in-game help guide that covers everything, accessible by opening the map, going to the briefing area (top left) and clicking on "HELP" (or something similar).

If you see me on TS or in-game, feel free to send any questions my way, or join up in my squad and I'll give you a quick run down on some of the game systems/mechanics (squad management, armaments, base deployment, etc.). You can also send any questions you have via PM or post up in the PR forums.
                              sigpic
                              [squadl][conduct]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...