ACRE PRC-117F Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACRE PRC-117F Questions

I'm having some trouble with the PRC-117F. I can't seem to find any guides on it, and the ones available linked on TG links to forbidden pages.

Simply put, what are each of the options in the wheel right of the numpad ( [OFF] [PT] [CT] [TD] [RV] [LD] [Z-ALL] [CLR]) for?

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Originally posted by louis0415 View Post
    I'm having some trouble with the PRC-117F. I can't seem to find any guides on it, and the ones available linked on TG links to forbidden pages.

Simply put, what are each of the options in the wheel right of the numpad ( [OFF] [PT] [CT] [TD] [RV] [LD] [Z-ALL] [CLR]) for?
    Currently they do nothing. Just leave it in PT.

They stand for

OFF: radio off
    PT: plain text
    CT: cypher text
    TD: time delay
    RV: remote variable
    LD: load
    Z-All: zeroise all(crypto keys)
    CLR: clear current key

These are options which will I assume be implemented in later versions of ACRE. If you would like to know more let me know.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: ACRE PRC-117F Questions

Sure, if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to you, can you explain more on what each function does in real life?

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

I can help with the first on the list if ya want :)
        The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

LOL @ BLIP

OFF: radio off

PT: plain text- Operate the radio in plain text, ie none of your transmissions are encrypted therefore the enemy can hear your transmissions if they are on the same frequency(currently how we use it in bravo)

CT: cypher text-uses a encryption key to encrypt your transmission. This key is common between all friendly forces on your net. There are several encryption methods available, depending on the radio, not all encryption methods are compatible with all radios.

TD: time delay: Places the Radio in secure mode(CT). This setting is used when necessary to compensate for transmission delays due to the distance between communication links.

RV: receive variable: (i mucked this one up its actually receive variable) Puts the radio into OTAR(OVER THE AIR REKEY) mode and allows the radio to receive the crypto key via the net he is currently on. For the OTAR to work, it requires the receiving radio to be in possession of a second crytpo key called a KEK(KEY ENCRYPTION KEY) (THE ORIGINAL KEY IS CALLED A TEK= TRAFFIC ENCRYPTION KEY). If the receiving radio does not have a KEK then he can still receive the TEK however there is a risk the enemy will hear your transmission and be able to 'steal' you TEK.

LD: load: allows you to load the radio with a CRYPTO FILL DEVICE such as a CYZ-10 or a KYK-13.

Z-All: zeroise all(crypto keys): destroys all crypto keys. Keys are held in volatile memory which is maintained by a FILL BATTERY,(watch battery size), all this does is dump the power of the capacitor(which is maintained by the fill battery) within the radio to destroy the key.

CLR: clear current key: deletes the current key you have selected, there may be a need to have multiple keys ie recon elements generally have their own crytpo keys assigned to them as they are generally 50-100km in front of the main attacking force, if they get captured of killed or there key is compromised, it is easy to simply stop using their key, than to have the entire attacking force go ahead and rekey every radio they currently use.

this is a basic level of understanding behind the functions.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob

Comment

As a current Signal person in the US Army, it disturbs me that this much information is made available and that it is being used in a game. AN/PRC-117 are currently being used in our military. Most of what Bolagnaise has told you is accurate. HF radios are difficult to deal with, if not used regularly. Most due to the complicated operations and settings. Even as a Signal guy, I am not comfortable using 117s. They require multiple freqs to be used throughout the day. If not using an antenna coupler, they require different antennas for different modes or if the range between radios changes dramatically. I would love to see how they are implemented in game. On the upside, they can be used for sending digital traffic.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Thanks Bola! That is a great write up.

@ BL1P: lol.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

@ Beinseth, just pray the ACRE guys dont get visted by the good idea fairy and require us to fill our radio's before every mission ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Bola! I wonder if the ACRE team will add them on one day...it'll make TvT much more tactical =), stealing 117F's and whatnot.

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

If they do steal a 117F, you just move to next fill. It would bring about having to do daily, hourly sensitive items checks before and after missions. Normally, a fill is good for more than a day. Would love to go more into COMSEC, but thats OPSEC.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

... Well, my brain's melted for the day.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Yeah beinseth your right. All this information is available from places such as wikipedia and Harris itself. There's not much you can't get off the net these days. If I mucked anything up our you have a better explanation feel free to correct me. Its been about 2 years since I touched a 117 or 152 as I deal in ECM these days.
                        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                        Former ARMA Admin
                        Former TGU Headmaster
                        Current Noob

Comment

Yeah... I had a guide that linked to ACRE's pages and then they moved sites on me. Here's the info with the unbroken links:

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                          "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Beinseth, I'm on my phone right now do can't really look stuff up, but there's a quote by a respected academic in the field of cryptography that basically says that a cipher system is most secure when everything about the system is public knowledge except the key being used.

A system that relies on people not knowing how it works is an insecure system.
                            The more people who are able to understand the system, the easier it is to find holes that can be patched.

Besides, what bol explained is like someone explaining how to go into your gmail account settings and enable ssl encryption on all pages. Big fat deal :)

Sent via Crapatalk 2. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Balfa I don't think Beinseth was having a go at me, I think he is just concerned at the level of realism that ACRE is going towards. Potentially giving bad dudes inside knowledge of how coalition radio systems work. I don't think that the ACRE team will break any COMSEC or OPSEC as the devs are pretty aware not to divulge information that could have the NSA knocking on their door. That being said, their would be certain benefits of implementing a type of civilian encryption on ACRE such as CTCSS(continuous tone coded squelch system) or DCSS(digitally coded squelch system).DCSS is a means by which a receiving radio will remain silent until it receives a transmission that includes a digital code. As long as this code is Continuously received, you will be able to hear the person who is transmitting. The code will be able to be selected at random (ie you as the CO say today's squelch code is 12345678,then you put that code in you 148.)(normally DCSS codes are 23 characters long) however the beauty of this is ITS A GAME. We are not restricted to individual telecommunication Act's for each country therefore the possibilities are endless in terms of what the ACRE team could do.There are no restrictions and the NSA arent signing off on their radio models:p.They could literally reinvent the encryption wheel if they wanted to.
                              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                              Former ARMA Admin
                              Former TGU Headmaster
                              Current Noob

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse