AI settings for COOP Missions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI settings for COOP Missions

So I personally have been hearing a lot of opinions regarding the AI and the settings and how they are uber accurate and most of the time they can one shot kill anyone.

Wasn't there a mod or setting that pretty much made them super inaccurate? Was it zeus or something as I can't remember since it's been over a year.

Would it ruin the game if it was possible to adjust the accuracy of the AI so that firefights lasted longer and became a little more exciting then hearing pop pop and the whole team laying on the ground? I remember this being done before I left and it made it so much more enjoyable as you could have proper engagements without getting the team wasted by 1 or 2 super AI.

Admins? Anyone remember this at all?
    FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Re: AI settings for COOP Missions

/signed

Comment

It's called "keep your head low or duck". lol.

Comment

@Viper - Zeus AI was removed when I believe it became a part of ACE or conflicted with it. We can take a look at the settings for the Expert mode if you all like.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Unk View Post
          @Viper - Zeus AI was removed when I believe it became a part of ACE or conflicted with it. We can take a look at the settings for the Expert mode if you all like.

I don't think the settings need changed too much, just a small adjustment to the AI, they do currently have insane accuracy and never seem to miss with RPGs

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
          So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I like to force players to react like they would playing humans. A human player in Arma will typically need about 3-5 seconds before pulling the first shot, then a few shots to zero in, then the kill shot. That is what I dial the AI to. I hated just running into a shooting gallery with AI stupidly running in circles. No challenge. No pressure. If you want that, I can create a shooting gallery of dumb AI if you want, but for those who want a challenge, who need to outsmart their opponent, thats what I love and aim for.

The biggest problem, people turtle in combat, and then the AI focuses it's fire onto you. Guess what, if you sit still in real combat, they are also going to pick you off. Now, I am not going to argue that I know what real combat is like and that I know the fear of real bullets. I don't. But the closest I have gotten is Airsoft on an Op with 250 vs 250. Squad leading a group of 11 guys CQB fighting from building to building. That is as close as I have gotten. Forcing fire and maneuver is key. But that lies up to the command to keep that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sector_15504 View Post
              I like to force players to react like they would playing humans. A human player in Arma will typically need about 3-5 seconds before pulling the first shot, then a few shots to zero in, then the kill shot. That is what I dial the AI to. I hated just running into a shooting gallery with AI stupidly running in circles. No challenge. No pressure. If you want that, I can create a shooting gallery of dumb AI if you want, but for those who want a challenge, who need to outsmart their opponent, thats what I love and aim for.

The biggest problem, people turtle in combat, and then the AI focuses it's fire onto you. Guess what, if you sit still in real combat, they are also going to pick you off. Now, I am not going to argue that I know what real combat is like and that I know the fear of real bullets. I don't. But the closest I have gotten is Airsoft on an Op with 250 vs 250. Squad leading a group of 11 guys CQB fighting from building to building. That is as close as I have gotten. Forcing fire and maneuver is key. But that lies up to the command to keep that up.
              Off topic: this airsoft event would be a part of the lionclaws series would it?

On topic: I agree with Sector, to some degree, in that I like the 3-5 seconds a few zeroing shots, and BAM! It allow's for a challenge, without the "over-kill realism". I think that it's fun to have to react quickly. However, I do not like how the AI can zero in on you from behind a bush and kill you off in two shot's when you can't physically see them. I'm guessing this has to do with the ArmA engine more than anything else, but it drives me crazy that they can see through things that you can't (If I may compare though, it's much better that BF2 AI seeing right through smoke).

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
              "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

I am not talking about reducing the level of the AI, I am just talking about changing the accuracy of the AI. The "intelligence" is not the issue as that is a good challenge, its just the ability to snipe every player they shoot at.
                FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Originally posted by Shoomfie View Post
                  Off topic: this airsoft event would be a part of the lionclaws series would it
                  It would. LC X @ George Air Force Base, A Co. 1st Platoon 2nd Squad. I was SL.

This is as close as you can get: (footage from our SAW gunner)
                  http://youtu.be/vAmywRkYpfw

PM me if you want to watch me SL and crap my pants as we are surrounded by two platoons.

Back on topic: I agree about the AI shooting through stuff, that I can't control. I can only try to modify them to they are slightly dumber on maps with a lot of brush, but it is extremely hard. The ArmA AI arent the best.

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                    I am not talking about reducing the level of the AI, I am just talking about changing the accuracy of the AI. The "intelligence" is not the issue as that is a good challenge, its just the ability to snipe every player they shoot at.
                    I cant begin to express how much I agree with you. It literally makes me wanna punch something sometimes with how accurate they are. The other day on MSO a few guys and I were moving up to engage a bunch of infantry. They opened fire on us, pop pop, walsh is down, "hey guys walsh is down!", pop pop...Im down.

Aaaannnnddd rage quit. Turns me off a bit getting destroyed like that all the time. Especially since most of the time our opponents are militia men who despite having weapons should NOT be anywhere near as accurate as a trained solider. I dont care what realism argument anyone brings up, a militia man should not be able to identify target, get sights on and accurately take down the target before any player should.
                    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Sector_15504 View Post
                      The biggest problem, people turtle in combat, and then the AI focuses it's fire onto you.
                      So true. Most of UPSMON's nastiness can be avoided by keeping moving during combat - either assault into it, or bound away. Anything but staying still.

Personally like to keep the AI accuracy slider on my missions at between 60% and 80%. Not too accurate, so the main risk isn't so much AI accuracy as AI numbers (caused by UPSMON calling in reinforcements from surrounding areas and zerging you to death), which can be avoiding by maintaining momentum.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Server side settings that are in or can be added to the servers ARMA2OAPROFILE FILE

Default Expert difficulty known as mercenary in OA is
                        skillFriendly=1;
                        skillEnemy=1;
                        precisionFriendly=1;
                        precisionEnemy=1;

the range is 0.1 - 1

There is some debate on if the precisionEnemy=# does anything since the 1.60 update most tend to agree that only skillEnemy=#; has the desired effect anymore. With the desired effect being that you have sustained fire fights with the AI not insta gib matches
                        The below code is a copy of the ARMA2OAPROFILE FILE i use on my testing server I also use ASR_AI

Code:
                        class Difficulties
                        {

class veteran
                        	{
                        		class Flags
                        		{
                        			HUD=0;
                        			HUDWp=0;
                        			HUDGroupInfo=0;
                        			Map=0;
                        			WeaponCursor=0;
                        			ClockIndicator=0;
                        			3rdPersonView=1;
                        			UltraAI=0;
                        			CameraShake=1;
                        			UnlimitedSaves=0;
                        			DeathMessages=0;
                        			NetStats=0;
                        			VonID=0;
                        		};
                        		skillFriendly=0.6;
                        		skillEnemy=0.6;
                        		precisionFriendly=0.6;
                        		precisionEnemy=0.6;
                        	};
                        	class mercenary
                        	{
                        		class Flags
                        		{
                        			UltraAI=0;
                        			DeathMessages=0;
                        			NetStats=0;
                        			VonID=0;
                        		};
                        		skillFriendly=0.7;
                        		skillEnemy=0.7;
                        		precisionFriendly=0.7;
                        		precisionEnemy=0.7;
                        	};
                        };

or just use ASR_AI which is an addon that can be placed on the server and doesn't need to be ran by the clients.
                        LINK - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12105

Or use both the server settings and the addon.

O yes if you look at the code you will see that I made veteran mode basically the same as Expert mode Just with lower skill and the 3rd person allowed.
                        But with none of the crazy noob floating icons :)

As a side note :) I would suggest testing the skillEnemy=#; and precisionEnemy=#; before the ASR_AI as I am unsure how much stress an AI altering addon will cause to a servers performance
                        on my own and on our clan servers the performance loss was not noticeable BUT we only get like 5-8 players max at anytime.

Although changing the skillEnemy=0.7; settings did show great results for fire fights
                        But be warned they will still get lucky head shots on you !!
                        And snipers will still get you over distance :)

Hope that helps
                        Bl1P

PS. ZUES AI no longer works since the 1.60 patch
                        PPS. Upon further reading it was confirmed by Suma a bis dev that the SkillEnemy setting now alters the precisionEnemy aswell and that altering the precisionEnemy alone will have no effect.
                        But hey no harm in altering both right :)
                        Last edited by BL1P; 05-02-2012, 04:01 AM.
                        The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

I feel the AI is way to fast to get accurate shots down range in bravo, I know we never play TVT but even in TVT vs players no one can ever acquire a target steady aim then get a kill shot in under 3 seconds at 300m and beyond I know I cant do it in coop/tvt. I would play with every helper in the game to get a realistic lasting firefight. One night on bravo played with settings on domination put it on Regular and I seen the leader of an AI squad use his binoculars to spot us at 500m in a tree line when he seen us his machine gunner started suppressing us, we fell back to cover. Have you ever seen an AI use his Binos in Bravo, I know that was a first for me. I would rather face 50 bad shooting soldiers overwhelming our position then 5 AI at 400m away popping heads with an open sight AK. I agree I do not like third person or seeing your self on the map but I dislike 3 second firefights more, I also heard you can turn off all the perks on Veteran and Regular like expert but get a more realistic enemy. If that is true that's my vote.

I have also played on Bl1ps server and I thought what ever he did was great, we had a great firefight with 3 AI squads 1 in direct contact and two flanking us. They put fire on your position, and if you left cover, not just peeked over the top they hit you, or if you ran out in the open they hit you. So I vote for what ever Bl1p had on his server for Bravo it was like Expert with no perks but with extended firefights.

Comment

Yes the AI is too accurate. The other day I (while aiming down my sight) peeked around a corner. I saw an enemy with his back to me. I rested my rifle on the corner of the building and aimed. Someone else had opened up to my left at some other AI, so my first shot missed. My second also missed. The AI spun around and in less than 2 seconds got a headshot on me with 2 rounds. This was from about 300m away with ONLY my head and muzzle peeking out from hard cover.

Maybe luck on his part, but this kind of stuff happens regularly. If you get shot at, it takes you a second to hit the deck while yelling "ohmygodhellpppthey'reshootingatmeeee", at least another second or two to see where it came from, and then more time lining up a steady shot while the adrenaline is pumping.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

Originally posted by siantis View Post
                              while yelling "ohmygodhellpppthey'reshootingatmeeee"
                              rofl
                              The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X