DayZ mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DayZ mod

I've been playing this with the guys from my EVE alliance and it is a lot of fun. It is a persistant Zombie mod. And its pretty hench.

Here is the site:
    http://dayzmod.com/

It is persistent. You keep your items and location no matter what server you log into. You have to scavenge for food or you can kill animals if you have the tools to prep the meat. Day and night are dependent on the server's time zone. It is dark while it is dark in that time zone(give or take a few hours). It is damn near impossible to play safely at night as flashlights, torches, chem-lights, and other stuff attract zombies and other players. You need to eat and drink water after a certain amount of time. Death is essentially a restart and you can break your leg and everything.

Its fun and scary. Once you find a group that is not going to shoot you down to get your stuff, its pretty fun.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Re: DayZ mod

This mod is something else, Ive got 2 buddies that have joined me and surviving has not been as easy as I thought it would be.

sigpic

Comment

I play with some people you know xmaster

Comment

I am having the most difficult time setting this up, but I watched a few videos and it looks pretty cool.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

This mod can't be played elsewhere other than DayZ Servers.
          "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
          "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
          "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
            This mod can't be played elsewhere other than DayZ Servers.
            I know. And even if I can get in the servers, I get a weapons.cfg error that doesn't allow me to play. My friend finally got into a game okay but was apparently invisible.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

also this mod is basically in alpha stage ... running on one data server for everyone.. and it needs the data to run

add to this the fact that every 12 year old around the world wants to kill a zombie it is very busy and popular.

so....
              1:- 1 min to download
              2:- 2 mins to install
              all good so far
              3:- 1 min to figure out which server
              4:- 1 hr to get connected while spamming enter on your selected server.
              5:- 30mins collecting data to join your selected server.
              6:- 5 seconds till some 12 year old shoots you to steal your beans.

now repeat 3-6 a few times

ok so now your passed the evil 12 year olds.

time to get some weapons and stuff

3hrs later you have all the weapons and your now bored with nothing to do but shoot 12 year olds...

7:- Return to Bravo server for a real mil sim..........
              The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
                also this mod is basically in alpha stage ... running on one data server for everyone.. and it needs the data to run

add to this the fact that every 12 year old around the world wants to kill a zombie it is very busy and popular.

so....
                1:- 1 min to download
                2:- 2 mins to install
                all good so far
                3:- 1 min to figure out which server
                4:- 1 hr to get connected while spamming enter on your selected server.
                5:- 30mins collecting data to join your selected server.
                6:- 5 seconds till some 12 year old shoots you to steal your beans.

now repeat 3-6 a few times

ok so now your passed the evil 12 year olds.

time to get some weapons and stuff

3hrs later you have all the weapons and your now bored with nothing to do but shoot 12 year olds...

7:- Return to Bravo server for a real mil sim..........
                So much hate.

You have to remember its an ALPHA release.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                The BigC

Comment

The key is to not play during prime-time and to not play on the US servers. Found that the FR and the DE servers are probably the best to play on. People tend to speak english and there isn't as many people who just run around shooting other players. Still don't trust ANYONE but those on Teamspeak.
                  Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                  Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

It needs reward based objectives and tasks. 2 hours of game play left me with a dry taste in my mouth. What are you fighting for....to simply just stay alive??......boring...I could setup camp next to the ocean with wire concertina and 100 cans of baked beans and live out the next year(OK I exaggerated) but you get my point. There's need to be something that will eventually result in the survivors prevailing over the zombies that everyone can work towards. Building a safe zone..clearing the island of zombies...make people collect rare items that helps towards finding a cure that can be used to turn zombies back into civilians using a special dart gun..SOMETHING... otherwise people will get bored real quick.
                    My $0.02
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                      So much hate.

You have to remember its an ALPHA release.

I dint mean to come across with hate..
                      Plus Im sure I mentioned its an alpha in my post :)

Dont get me wrong Its a cool idea and I enjoyed playing it for a while.

Im sure when its released as a DLC for arma3 it will be amazing and with alot more Playability and Longevity involved. :)
                      The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

While I have only spoken to others who have reviewed it, as a software developer, the coolio part for me is the persistence aspeect. I wasn't aware that mission makers could write script that gave drive level access (or socket level database connectivity) to the scripts for persisting your Player data (and thus your complete inventory, location, status, etc.) so that it could be retrieved by the same MOD running on any other server.

Why haven't mission makers done this in the past? I can think of all sorts of creative reasons why this might be a really good idea -- most noteably the abilitity to save a current COOP mission, shut it down, and load that session again later to continue play where we left off last.

As for DayZ itself, I agree -- there needs to be some element of closure goals or reward system and the challenge is to stay alive to maintain your place in the post-appoc roster. :)
                        sigpic
                        I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrDark View Post
                          The key is to not play during prime-time and to not play on the US servers. Found that the FR and the DE servers are probably the best to play on.
                          Can you elaborate on this Zephyr ?

My experience so far has been to get the title installed.
                          Join a server (which was very hard to do due to full servers and some apparently buggy loading).
                          Then I spent 30 minutes running up the coast of Chenarus to some houses.
                          Total darkness and driving rain. I found or saw nothing.

Edit: Just read the above posts more closely and see that 30 mins to spawn in is normal. Oh Lord. I hope the 12 year olds leave, that there will be some goals implemented, and yes I know its an Alpha.

|

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                            While I have only spoken to others who have reviewed it, as a software developer, the coolio part for me is the persistence aspeect. I wasn't aware that mission makers could write script that gave drive level access (or socket level database connectivity) to the scripts for persisting your Player data (and thus your complete inventory, location, status, etc.) so that it could be retrieved by the same MOD running on any other server.

Why haven't mission makers done this in the past? I can think of all sorts of creative reasons why this might be a really good idea -- most noteably the abilitity to save a current COOP mission, shut it down, and load that session again later to continue play where we left off last.

As for DayZ itself, I agree -- there needs to be some element of closure goals or reward system and the challenge is to stay alive to maintain your place in the post-appoc roster. :)
                            Namely because its extremely difficult and resource heavy, as well as impractical in a lot of scenarios outside of DayZ.

Originally posted by Warlab View Post
                            Can you elaborate on this Zephyr ?

My experience so far has been to get the title installed.
                            Join a server (which was very hard to do due to full servers and some apparently buggy loading).
                            Then I spent 30 minutes running up the coast of Chenarus to some houses.
                            Total darkness and driving rain. I found or saw nothing.

Edit: Just read the above posts more closely and see that 30 mins to spawn in is normal. Oh Lord. I hope the 12 year olds leave, that there will be some goals implemented, and yes I know its an Alpha.
                            What I meant was if you're trying to get into the servers, the non-US ones mainly are emptier and tend to not be only kids who think killing other players is the only goal.

Also, try to get some friends online, it will make the experience a lot better. Running around alone gets boring pretty quickly, especially when you can't get into most of the towns or cities safely without somebody watching your back.
                            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I guess I found the one very small town that was unpopulated last night.

I saw that all the US servers were full when I tried to get on last night. Of course that was primetime.
                              Your advice is noted, thanks Zephyr :)

|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...