Time to get going.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get going.....

Ok first off I love going on arma bravo server with you guys I have learnt so much and have a lot of fun, one issue I have as I live in the uk is the time difference so I have limited time to game as the server is normally empty till late at night overhere.

My main issue is the time it takes to get the missions underway eg load up and organsize the groups, the other night it took nearly an hour and a half just for 5 guys to start an mso mission, seriously should take no longer than 5 to 10 minutes, ppl just stand around talking rather than doing what's planned, is it always like this? More talking than playing? When we get underway its the best arma experience one can have but please can there be a limit on the time to organise things?

Please I'm not ranting at all I enjoy TG very much just it's a lot of time wasted in my very limited time to play.

Sorry to offend if I have.

Regards

Re: Time to get going.....

Yeah, I see what you mean xD
    I'm always asking myself "What the heck are they searching in the ammo boxes for 10 minutes?".
    I personally always know what to take. I open the ammo box, go through the list and throw everything in my inventory I need, and am ready after maximum 2 mikes.
    If I'm leading a mission/SL/FT, I usually say "Gear up, you need to take XYZ with you, you have 2 minutes". Should work most of the time, you just need to know what you need, or what your team should take with them.

But these long "Talking, Briefing and Gear up" things happen often on Domi or MSO (in general missions with ammo boxes). Seems like people are searching for the box for single items, and if they don't find it, they look for the next :D.
    Also, most of the "chatter" isnt even about the mission itself, which makes the briefing even longer.

But seriously, I would be interested in what you guys are searching for all the time, especially in MSO where you only have some role-specific stuff xD

Greetings

Comment

It's not just loading gear its we should do this,no do this,but I think we should do this, when planning what to do lol never stops map covered in markers I've fell asleep and have no idea what's going on anymore lol.

Comment

Agreed. Managed to cook and eat my dinner and get a hot chocolate before people had finished digging in an ammo box - and there weren't even any weapons in there!

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Glad to hear from you Dave. A common missive for sure and one I can identify with easily.

One solution is to take command of the operation from the get go and during the briefing clearly issue a time limit for prep. IE....Okay. We have five minutes to gear up and go.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Me command lol we would not make it past the gate!, can I just have permission to shoot people if taking longer than 10 minutes?

Comment

ahh...no. We kind of frown on that on our servers...but thanks for asking !!
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Deadly Dave View Post
                Me command lol we would not make it past the gate!, can I just have permission to shoot people if taking longer than 10 minutes?
                Hey, ACE has the new function to "Knockout Person". It doesn't hurts, but it.... yeah... Knocks out the person. xD

Can we have permission to knockout people if taking longer than 10 minutes? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  Hey, ACE has the new function to "Knockout Person". It doesn't hurts, but it.... yeah... Knocks out the person. xD

Can we have permission to knockout people if taking longer than 10 minutes? :D

Ok I agree shooting them might be a bit extreme, I'll go with knocking them out instead,,

Nice one Andy :)

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                    We have five minutes to gear up and go.
                    Tried that as commander. "Okay guys, this is our LZ, we'll go up that hill and have a look with binocs to get the lay of the land and work out a plan from there. I'm going to sit in the chopper and AFK for 5 minutes to make a hot chocolate, and by the time I get back I expect you all to be landed or at least airborne and ready to go." Didn't work.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      Glad to hear from you Dave. A common missive for sure and one I can identify with easily.

One solution is to take command of the operation from the get go and during the briefing clearly issue a time limit for prep. IE....Okay. We have five minutes to gear up and go.
                      80% of the time or more that never, ever works.

Ive started making missions where you spawn in with the stuff you get. No ammo box or anything to go frolicking through.
                      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Solutions given, great points by few.

Take the bull by the horn. Tell the players, you have X amount of time before we step off.
                        When you are the Leader of a mission. You are THE Leader, period. If someone disobeys and causes problems, Admins are waiting. If you don't see any Admin around? Post it in the CAA thread, we will definitely see it.

Choose a different mission.

"knocking out players" "TKing" is not accepted, by any means. If I see or hear anyone doing this, I'm gonna be using my admin card. That's a warning.

Cut the crap!
                        I notice a lot of unnecessary chatter. When in game, with your pixel friends with weapons. Say what is needed, cut the fat and cook that steak!

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I don't mean to be negative, but I've had good results in doing the take charge thing. It's the age old trick....if you want to step off in 5 mins give 'em 2. If you want 'em to drive 75km/hr then post the limit at 60km/hr. I only worry about mission critical loadouts as CO. "Make sure every FT has at least an AT4" or such.

As FTL I'll get pretty picky about the loadouts. On some days, I'll ask players to keep the CQB sights and leave the ACOGs and other times I just leave it up them learning their own lessons. The standard for me is KEEP WHAT YOU GOT. Then we can tweak from there but it is only a matter of does the FT have enough smoke, satchels, AT, and the right combo of rifles to do the job. Generally the mission maker has that worked out.

But often, we are tackling a mission and are under staffed because we've chosen a mission friendly for JIPs. So from the start, we are making judgements about how to adjust the normal structures to fit with the goals. So, this can take a few extra minutes unless you have clearly communicated your load out requirements before you go boots on ground.

We do need the cooperation of players not in leadership in order to accomplish this. Slot sim 2000 is no fun, but the relief breaks aren't a bad thing. Ammo box yakkityak is a fun time for players until you take lead. Then you just wish the chatter would allow you to think for a min and be able to communicate with your FTL's who are busy trying to communicate with their members. When I join in as my fav role, AR, people say, "Hey, Unk, why you so quiet today?". This is why....it's really my fav thing to do. Less talk, more bullets down range.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer
                          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                          189th Infantry Brigade Member
                          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

You rarely hear from me , I get what I need , move out and fall in by my SL, FTL. I am a grunt, ready to do what grunts do, I leave the herp derpin to others. Most of the time now I pick who I play with, it's just a lot more fun and no stress . Its a game meant to be enjoyed amongst friends, when it stops being that it's time to quit and find something else to do.

Comment

Even if you're not willing to step up as CO, or any leadership position for that matter, you still can (and should) be "leading"your peers by example. A little goading or persuasion is helpful.

I still remember that time SL beer mug asked us to stand in a line in front him. You'd think he'd asked to hop up everest on one foot looking at how hard it seemed to be for the squad.

As a leader, the most annoying thing in the world is to give an order (two or three times) for something to happen, and watch as nothing happens.

Listen, be ready to act, and be ready to give your peers an earful if they don't act.

Sent via Crapatalk 2. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X