Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing Players

Hi guys,

"zebra.actual" already brought up this topic (had the name "I love you."), but it suddenly disappeared from the forums (deleted).

I really want to bring up/continue that topic again, it was a friendly conversation and alot of people where participating in it...

Why do I bring this up?
    - Because I worry about the TG ArmA Community.
    When I found this Server, I was amazed by the kindness and helpfulness of Players, Members and Admins. It was (and of course still IS) a really awesome Server to play at. There where Players every day, and you could have some nice games at (german) day-time, and some large-player-count operations at (german) night-time.
    But in the past weeks, the Playercount on the Bravo-Server suddenly dropped to nearly 0. I'm sitting in TS nearly every day, waiting for Players... but nobody is joining. Sometimes some people hop in for some "quick-action-games", and sometimes its like "hurry hurry hurry for the objective, I have not much time!".

As some people already said, the decreasing of the player count is because of the time; School ends, it gets warm outside and people don't have much time to play.
    But I disagree with that statement. Even if people have alot to do, they always find the time to do something they have fun with. Also, the complete player count dropped, not only a "few".
    As "zebra.actual" mentioned in his thread, other Servers still have alot of players. If you look at server-statistics you can see, that there are always 5-15 players on the Server, Events even up to 60 or more. I do not want to complain about anything at TG, I still love the Community and I don't want to loose or leave it. But what other Servers call "standard" (5-15 Players) is a good Mission at TG. While others operate at Platoon Size or even bigger, we even have problems with filling a single squad sometimes. I do not say "We need 60 players on server every day!", but I think we need a solid Player base, so people can actually jump on the server every time and have somebody to play with... I mean, thats the whole porpuse of the Community thing, isn't it?

Maybe we should try to bring in some "fresh air". We have added alot of Mods, Maps and Contents to the Server, and that is really great! But that is not the only thing, Players are looing for.
    If somebody looks for a Community, he wants to find a Community with a solid kind of gameplay, a solid playerbase and of course a solid playercount on the server.
    Maybe we could try to make TG ArmA more "public", maybe have a YouTube Channel with Weekly Gameplay footage, News or whatever. More Events and costum mission.
    We need something special, something that makes people say "Oh, TG has something that XYZ doesnt have! Nice!".

You need to ask yourself one question:

"If there is nobody to play with, why am I still here?"

I love you.

Re: Disappearing Players

DayZ
    sigpic

Comment

Nobody has gone anywhere. DAYZ has interested alot of the regular bravo players so there playing that now and has actually bought new faces to TG as well as some we haven't seen in quite a while.
      As we where already told by Dredge. This is also a bad time of the year. The sun is out, people have school, I just had a kid that's in ICU. Its great that you want to boost the community and help it foster but you can't force people to play. I would recommended jumping on Alpha and seeding it to bring new pubbies to TG. Questions about adding new content should always be raised in a CAA thread as it always ends up with someone having a bitter taste in their mouth if its put in the public forum. TG will never die, titles may come and go, but TG will never die.
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Day Z has absorbed a massive amount of players.

This add on has single handedly increased the sales of a 2 year old game by 5 times.

Comment

I'm currently sucked into Diablo III right now as well as dealing with real-life (I know! Its a heathenish thing!) crap.
          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

As we where already told by Dredge. This is also a bad time of the year.
            Not to say this isn't the case for TG, but historically I have always found this time of year to be a very high participation timeframe for my own group. Based on six plus years of observing participation trends in our community.

As far as how to deal with low turnouts - having regular times that you know you can hop on to get some gaming with others goes a long way towards building a playerbase. They don't have to be elaborate full-on events, but saying that such-and-such day of the week at such-and-such time, on a recurring basis, is some type of tactical event can be a good thing to focus numbers.

Comment

If the thread "disappeared", it's probably a good idea to not do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                If the thread "disappeared", it's probably a good idea to not do it again.
                :|

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

:| and this means? Threads don't disappear for no reason.

Comment

@Dslyecxi: I agree with this. Tell everyone we'll try to play a solid game or two at about 6:00 EST every night of the week, and everyone will aim to get on for that.

@ChiefBoatsRet: The thread was removed for a reason out of our control, no doubt. I still think we shouldn't totally ignore this though. I don't think it's as big a deal as it may seem, but I miss playing a good game or two with 15+ players every night.

@Everyone Else: DayZ and Diablo III may have taken some players, but I can't imagine NOONE is coming on for atleast a game anymore. I also think that this is a busy type of year for late-nights, only to die off around late june.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                      Not to say this isn't the case for TG, but historically I have always found this time of year to be a very high participation timeframe for my own group. Based on six plus years of observing participation trends in our community.

As far as how to deal with low turnouts - having regular times that you know you can hop on to get some gaming with others goes a long way towards building a playerbase. They don't have to be elaborate full-on events, but saying that such-and-such day of the week at such-and-such time, on a recurring basis, is some type of tactical event can be a good thing to focus numbers.
                      Prior to DAYZ our numbers where actually dwindling based on the issues dredge talked about. However with the emergence of this new mod we actually have a higher than normal player count IMO. Just because their playing DAYZ and not ACE or vanilla is no need to worry, its just the current fad or craze. The same as when BF3 came to TG last year, ARMA server populations took a huge hit. Now there is an identical thread about disappearing players in BF3 forums lol. ARMA ACE will come back, their will always be phases to peoples interests. DAYZ will endure for a long time I'm sure of it, however we will get some of those guys onto Bravo and Alpha once they have played until their eyes bleed. We just need to stay flexible?
                      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                      Former ARMA Admin
                      Former ARMA TGU instructor
                      Former TGU Headmaster
                      Current Noob
                      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

What Bolagnaise said absolutely rings true. I experienced the same low attendance or none due to what he mentioned.

We can all pretty much agree that the low player count of late are due to these factors:
                        • Time of year (suns out, people will flock outdoors more)
                        • Other game titles being released (this is a community of gamers of different titles)
                        • DayZ (ArmA specific)
                        • Miscellaneous factors (Jobs, lack of free time, etc)

You guys can all understand all points mentioned but allow me to elaborate on the second to last bullet point.

"DayZ"
                        This mod itself created a following and open its doors to the players that never played ArmA2 before or had it but left it on their shelves, not to mention the die hard fans (that's us).
                        The mod boosted sales of the game immensely, and the Marek Spanel officially stated that the next patch the DayZ mod will be included. That's saying something of it's achievement.

How does it relate to us?

Simple, more people that are exposed to this game/sim. More people will be open to what the actual game offers, besides DayZ. What we need to do is prepare ourselves for the influx of players in our ALPHA (and cross your fingers BRAVO) server. Exposure. As simple as that.

So let's keep our wits about us and prepare for warp speed! We can do it together!

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I havnt been on because A) finals B) graduation C) new job taking up ALL MY TIME.

Real life sucks =/

Comment

^ no kidding Sector, no kidding...

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I got lost in a mine of square 16bit blocks. Also, I don't really have a desktop right now (long story), but I should be back on in about a month or so. Hang in there Zebra, we'll be back eventually. Bravo always kicks back. Let Day-Z pass, and we'll be back at it again.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                              "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...