Let's help the community to grow!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's help the community to grow!

Okay, any ideas of what we could effectivly do now, to get new Players to the Server/Forum and fill up the server regularly?
    I really want to get this going now, sitting in the Waiting Room gets boring...

We had some nice ideas:

YouTube Channel:
    -> "Community Trailer"
    -> Gaming videos
    -> Familiarization (ACE, ACRE, Weapons, Vehicles etc)

Advertising/Recruitment:
    -> In ArmA Forums
    -> YouTube

Training Courses:
    -> "Mod" Familiarization
    -> Weapons Familiarization
    -> Ground Vehicles Courses
    -> Air Vehicles Courses (Transport/CAS)
    -> Command Courses (CO, XO, RTO, SL, FTL)
    -> "Special Roles" Courses (JTAC, FAC, Recon)

Regular Gaming Days/Times
    -> Regular days and times for playing.
    -> Different "Rush Hours" every (!) day for different timezones
    -> etc?

Server:
    -> Special Mods
    -> Special Maps/Missions
    -> more "realistic" "Seeder" (continuous/low player count) missions on more/all maps. (I personally would like to see a "realistic" Insurgents only Afghanistan-like mission (Patrol Ops/Domi) with more CQB)
    -> Special Settings
    -> "Training Mission" for Familiarization/Training Courses (possibility to use all assets/weapons unlimited on "proving grounds" (I do not necessarily mean the map) with Firing Range (for different weapons and weapon systems)

After some positive feedback, I started this thread to concentrate on this topic.
    It seem like we have some people who are actually interested in helping the community, and thats very awesome!

The Question now is:
    -what can YOU do?
    -how much time do you have? (which days and times?)
    -what stuff would you like to do?
    -who can organzine these things?
    -Admins for official advertising/recruiting in the official ArmA forums?
    -additional ideas?

PS: YES I know we already have a lots of Mod/Maps etc installed, and I do not complain about anything, that should just be a general listing of stuff we could do =)

Re: Let's help the community to grow!

Just going to state some difficulties or issues that may arise with some of the ideas you have here:
    • Mods, Maps, addons, etc.:
      The more we grow may provide more interest in our server, but due to the recent addition of several addons, I personally believe if we keep at this rate, it may make us a little too exclusive.

• "Training Mission" / Playground mission:
      There's a thing called the editor. You can place objects down and play with them as much as you want. There's no need to have a mission on our server for players to just mess about. While it is nice to have others around to practice with gear, situations like this tend to deteriorate into players messing around and ignoring the Rules, SOPs, and especially the Primer.

• "Realistic" Seeders:
      Two words that don't like to mix in most cases. Many seeders are designed with simplicity and ease of play in mind. This does not normally promote a realistic environment nor proper gameplay. While you can always take any mission and play it in the TG way, you can also always take any mission and forget about that. This is made much easier with the tendency of seeders to be highly customizable and open.

• Courses and Training:
      We have TGU to handle this. While we may be expeirencing a down time in TGU, course will start popping up if people show interest. Mind you, one or two people do not make a large interest. The best thing you can do is post a poll or post in the TGU Forums about course you would like to see run. If we get enough interest on the TGU course, I can almost guarentee you that we will try to get a larger sample to gauge the communities interest in the courses.

• Videos:
      Sadly, not many can record decent footage. I have FRAPS and Sony Vegas, but due to my lack in processing power I can't create footage that is easy to watch or handles the graphics properly. That and sometimes when recording it can make my game unplayable, and I could probably have others attest to that as well.

• Familiarization of Equipment:
      I have written up a pretty decent guide that familiarizes players with ACE as much as I was able to figure out in my head that was needed. While it may not cover each and every little tiny detail, there are other sources out there, such as those written by the ACE Devs personally. Players (not just TG) tend to look for official sources first and then refer to Community developed sources to possibly dumb it down a little bit if they need it. If there is anything that you feel should be added, feel free to contact me via PM. I also have a googleDocs version of the guide which makes edits and such much easier.

I do not wish to sound like I'm trying to damper your proactive actions to get the server back up and rolling, I just want to emphasize that this is no easy task and that there are things that will make this much more difficult. I also wanted to make sure that you, and everyone, understand how much work and effort that something like this would take.

[EDIT] Also, do not mind any grammatical errors, or senseless statements (by that I mean gibberish). It is nearly 4AM right now, and I haven't had much sleep the past few days.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrDark View Post
      Just going to state some difficulties or issues that may arise with some of the ideas you have here:
      • "Training Mission" / Playground mission:
        There's a thing called the editor. You can place objects down and play with them as much as you want. There's no need to have a mission on our server for players to just mess about. While it is nice to have others around to practice with gear, situations like this tend to deteriorate into players messing around and ignoring the Rules, SOPs, and especially the Primer.

I Find that training missions can be good, because a player can learn how Tactical Gamers behave, and play whilst on the server. But when someone says training mission, i would imagine a slow paced mission, with someone able to instruct people how to do stuff. Not 15 people sitting, listening to someone speak for 20 minutes.

Comment

Thanks for the feedbacks!

@ZephyrDark:

1. Mods, Maps, addons, etc.:
        Too big downloads you mean. I understand this, and I didn't mean to just add tons of mods every time there are no players. To be honest, the way it is currently is perfect, if people want something they can ask and a poll gets started. Every thing fine, I just listed it to "complete" the list with all "possible" things to do.

2. "Training Mission" / Playground mission:
        I understand what you mean. What I wanted to say is not a "Playground" mission to mess around. It should be one mission, designed for different types of trainings (all weapons, vehicles, helicopter, planes, weapon systems, testing areas, kill houses, CQB areas etc).
        This mission could be on another server, like Charlie, which only gets started for events or trainings. This would prevent the people from "messing around".
        Also I think its very important to have Trainings and Courses for Equipment running on the server. Not everybody wants to read alot of text, and 90% of all the new players joining the server get teached "most basic stuff" by the people currently playing on the server, because they don't look it up somewhere.
        Courses for people are much easier. I personally learned alot of my ACE/ACRE/Infantry/Convoy/Command stuff at Training Courses at other communities. I personally take the time to listen to the instructors, because I know they know what they are talking about, and I like it more than reading, because you get the chance to try everything out and directly ask somebody about problems. Also, you should never forget that ArmA (especially with the mods) is a Simulation, not an Arcade shooter.
        People who play ArmA ACE/ACRE are actually trying to play it "as real as it gets", and I think most people want to learn it the "proper way" instead of just "messing around a bit".

3. "Realistic" Seeders:
        To be honest, this is a very difficult topic for me, since "Seeders" are still real missions for me. I know, that many people don't like Domi or Patrol Ops, because of "herp derping", "no serious gameplay" and no real mission design.
        But so-called "Seeders" are still regular missions. They are "Seeders", because people like to play them. Patrol Ops/Domi is played nearly 80-90% of the day, and with a good commander it is actually played like a real mission (like you can see in the ArmA Imgaes thread).
        But people need to be willing to accept it as an actual mission, and people should play it seriously. If they don't want to play "serious" at this time, they should consider playing Vanilla or play an Arcade Shooter.
        ArmA 2 ACE/ACRE is still a military simulator, and if I join a "Tactical Realism" server with ACE and ACRE, I excpect professional and "serious" gameplay, independent on what mission is played.
        I play ArmA because its a SIMULATION, with teamwork and tactics, and not an arcade shooter.

4. Courses and Training:
        Sure, TGU is handeling that. But to be honest I didn't see anything.
        You should not wait for the people to ask... they won't, because most of them, especially the newbies, don't even know about courses.
        If there are new players, you should make announcements in the forum and in the MOTD on the server. As said, thats the way I learned it when I started with ArmA.
        I don't want to say anything wrong, but its the "job" of the TGU Instructors to ask the people and try to get them into the courses, and not wait until somebidy maybe asks about it.

5. Videos:
        Yeah, many people don't have the resourses to do it, or don't have the knowledge about video editing etc.
        But if only one person is able to record, and maybe another one to edit, everything should be fine.
        I can play ArmA 2 on maximum graphics (FPS ~20-30) and I can record with Fraps (resolution 1920*1080)

6. Familiarization of Equipment:
        Thats pretty cool!
        But as said in.. mhhh number 2 I think... some people like reading, some people learn better with actually trying it out and getting it teached individually.
        It depends on the person, but I personally think its better to run actual courses on the server.

Also, I know its pretty hard to do such things, but I still don't give up TG ArmA, so I keep trying it.
        I hope some more people will show up here, and help to do something.
        Maybe we can simply start with making a "example-recruiting-post" to post it into different Forums. We could also do some "Screenshooting" to have some picture inside these posts. Maybe we can try to record some "gameplay" footage which shows the core-values of TG ArmA... Tacticalism, Realism, teamwork and awesome games. At least we could start recording, I'm pretty sure we will find somebody who can/wants to edit them.

Greetings
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
          I Find that training missions can be good, because a player can learn how Tactical Gamers behave, and play whilst on the server. But when someone says training mission, i would imagine a slow paced mission, with someone able to instruct people how to do stuff. Not 15 people sitting, listening to someone speak for 20 minutes.
          Exactly! I think a training mission/Equipment teaching mission (However you want to call it) is a good idea. I feel like people new to the server get overwhelmed in how much there is to learn about ACE and ACRE. I also, see people new to the server end up having to learn a lot of stuff very quickly and it usually takes 2-3 missions before they start to catch on. I think if we can get some videos out there that is a good place to start. I can record but can't edit very well. Maybe if we get a lot of new people to the server then we can have a training mission/course. I would love to teach anyone willing to learn.

Originally posted by ZephyrDark
          Courses and Training:
          We have TGU to handle this. While we may be expeirencing a down time in TGU, course will start popping up if people show interest. Mind you, one or two people do not make a large interest. The best thing you can do is post a poll or post in the TGU Forums about course you would like to see run. If we get enough interest on the TGU course, I can almost guarentee you that we will try to get a larger sample to gauge the communities interest in the courses.
          I read in the "I love you" thread that you said that you only advertise on the forums and player attendance has been an issue recently. I'm just wondering, Is there any limit to where we can advertise TGU or will we have to make our own training course/mission? I have no problem doing it with TGU or without TGU I'm just wondering...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
            Exactly! I think a training mission/Equipment teaching mission (However you want to call it) is a good idea. I feel like people new to the server get overwhelmed in how much there is to learn about ACE and ACRE. I also, see people new to the server end up having to learn a lot of stuff very quickly and it usually takes 2-3 missions before they start to catch on. I think if we can get some videos out there that is a good place to start. I can record but can't edit very well. Maybe if we get a lot of new people to the server then we can have a training mission/course. I would love to teach anyone willing to learn.
            I still do not believe that we should have a mission on our servers for this purpose. While hands on experience is nice and helps people get familiarized, it is possible to do this in normal mission and on seeder missions. All we have to do is take the time to just say "hey, we got quite a few new players on right now, lets do a mission where we plan to try to help these guys out. Take it slow and easy, answer any questions we can. It may not end well, mission-success-wise, but it'll help get these guys up to speed".

If anything, maybe have a mission designed for players to download and bring up themselves, use some signs that allow them to read up on things and have the equipment right there in front of them as well; however, there is no need for it to be on our own servers. The only thing I could think of that would be appropriate along these lines on our server is something hosted by TGU to ensure that there is a proper classroom environment so people can learn as much as possible.\

On the lines for video stuff:
            While passing on the work to others would be great, you'd be surprised how difficult that is. Raw footage tends to be in the tens to the hundreds of gigabytes. Since most of us do not have file transfer servers of our own, and I do not know the limitations of the support that we SM's (or possibly TGU or the Admin team) could get from the higher-ups. I can record decent footage and decent framerates and my native res (1920x1080), but when it comes to processing that footage with settings I want, the quality tends to go out the window. That is due to my limitation of processing power. If I wanted a friend or someone here from TG to do it, right now I'd have to burn it to a couple DVDs and then mail the footage to them. While that's pretty simple it costs money and time that I may or they may not have.

Originally posted by Noah View Post
            I read in the "I love you" thread that you said that you only advertise on the forums and player attendance has been an issue recently. I'm just wondering, Is there any limit to where we can advertise TGU or will we have to make our own training course/mission? I have no problem doing it with TGU or without TGU I'm just wondering...
            I do not know exactly, I'd have to bring that up with Damonte (the current Dean of TGU). Since the Deputy Dean's recent resignation, things have slowed a little bit more. I will look into see if we can get some hype-up kind of things out on the web so we may be able to more attendees from outside the community as well.

[EDIT - Addition]

Originally posted by paul View Post
            While I feel the same for the most past, there are reasons why teachers, instructors, and professors teach the way they do. That reason: Everybody learns at a different rate and in a different manner. Courses seem to work best when there's an informational (theory) section with vocal and visual information, and then after that have some sort of demonstration section where players can get a hands-on experience. Those "sit and listen for twenty minutes" parts of classes are necessary to an extent. Trying to get people to do something without them really knowing about it first tends to just end with a thousand questions and confused looks on peoples' faces.
            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I think it's great that effort is being put into bringing new blood into the servers and that you guys are going for it. Just a quickie though, I threw some randomness around back when I was a Pathfinder within the Pathfinder forum, Apophis did have some reservations about advertising externally - you might want to check in with him before going ahead and posting recruitment like stuff anywhere other than TG. So it's above board, gets his blessing an' all beforehand.

Comment

Yes indeed. We don't like anyone recruiting here, we don't do it in other houses either. There are places where it may be appropriate so if you are thinking of somewhere that is appropriate then get a hold of your admins and we can help. We might know a little history that can help as well.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer
                Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                189th Infantry Brigade Member
                SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I think that a video series and maybe a dedicated arma 2 Channel would help. Get it out there

Comment

We'd need to get people to really put some effort into it. Video development takes a LOT of time. I do not believe we'd get our own YouTube channel, but we could always get our own Playlist on the TacticalGamer official channel.
                    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

If we get no "Official" one, we could make a "private" one for our players, which is admined by some of us.
                      Of course not with the TG name, but we could call it something like "ArmAGamerz" or so xD
                      Also, TG already has a channel, if we make a good video, I'M sure they upload it.
                      But that shoudln't be the problem.
                      As said, first step could/should be to make some advertisment, especially in the offical BIStudio ArmA Forum (they have a special recruitment area), maybe do some screenshots ingame, and maybe start recording some "directed" game-sequences (Squad movements, teamwork, shooting etc), to get some "good material" together without filming 100 of games.

Comment

The TG channel would be very happy to get more content from us. Now you guys are gonna make me spill the beans...hehe

Lets get a simple shoot planned. Im looking for a way we can share raw footage and get an editor selected. We'll schedule a meeting to discuss our first aims, decide on what content we want & get someone to plan the shots.

After that we can get our actors and frapsers together and arrange the shoot.

This looks like a fun project.

The phn keyboard is not my friend
                        |TG-189th| Unkl
                        ArmA 3 Game Officer
                        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                        189th Infantry Brigade Member
                        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Thanks Unk, thats exactly what I meant =)

As said, I can record with Fraps (1920*1080 / ~20-30 FPS), and I have more than enough space (3,5TB) so save enough footage.
                          I also have Adobe After Effects/Photo Shop and some Video Editing programs.
                          But to be honest, I have never worked with them really seriously.
                          The Video-Files are going to be very big, so we should have some Webspace with good Up-/Download speed, so the Frapsers can Upload, and the Editers download it.

(Maybe we could even have several Frapsers, and could cut it together from several angels, and maybe some "24-like" shots xD)

@Meeting:
                          I would love to participate, but as said, I'm from germany and your "gaming-times" are usually midnight in germany :D
                          So if possible, Friday or Saturday would be perfect for me.

Edit:
                          As you know, I'm sitting in TS all day long, so if you need me or so, just poke me =)

Comment

You make the videos and then get in touch with FBmantis and he can get them up on the YT channel.
                            Anybody want to write an article for the frontpage ? Get it done and I can help you get it on the frontpage.

Folks, if I may say so and not cause offense, ideas here are plenty. Following thru on ideas and actually producing some content comes much less frequently, and finally repeatedly producing content is the rarest task of all. We're all volunteers here at TG and that's the biggest explanation for all the how's and why's of new content here at TG. We all have live's and we actually like to game some too....two things that really make it hard to stop and produce some good content.

Your admins are here to help with any questions or ideas you have.

|

Comment

Last nite I was playing on a vanilla server, as we were securing an ao you know what hit the fan and I just started barking out orders. At one point I had about 10 guys following me and after all was said and done one of the guys came up to me and said I made his night. This got me thinking about how I personally found TG. I forget their names but I was playing RO2 and I ended up in a TG led squad. It was my first taste of what we do here and I loved it. So maybe If people want to join me when our servers dont have players we can go play on some public servers and just get the TG name out there more. My steam is the same as the forum handle so just add me if this interests you.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X