Takistan Combat Patrol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takistan Combat Patrol

Recently, I've been running combat patrols in the MSO mission. My normal configuration consists of no enemy armor, very little mechanized, 90% motorized, and 90% infantry. Among the various other settings that are accessible are IED behavior and convoy intensity. I find that if I leave these settings at this state, we normally get about two or three hours of good solid gameplay, if not more. Whether or not we complete the mission, we clear towns, neutralize IEDs(Sometimes neutralizing the blufor engineer at the same time <.<), clear checkpoints, combat enemy squad patrols, and confront enemy convoys. All of these occurrences are random by game setting.

Some of our newer players have expressed to that they enjoy these patrols because it gives them the ability to witness different mechanics in the game without having to switch missions each time we want to do something different. Don't get me wrong, it's a combat patrol with no objective(unless the CO requests one from higher up), but the fact that we never know what is around the corner keeps the action and suspense fresh, in my mind. I try to assign veteran members as squad and fireteam leaders so the methods in which we execute our goals are carried out in such a way that those who are new to our game can be lead by example and glean experience in the interim.

Then there is the convoy aspect. As many of you have seen already, I like to fill up the vehicles, both support and offensive, before we move out. This is intended to reduce the amount of times we have to RTB, thus adding idle time, and allows us to endure longer patrols. Whether it's medical, support, or ammo, it can all be found in the vehicles. "Why not just bring a box..." Well, taking the time to organize squads, order them to line up the convoy, fill up their vehicles and designate buddy teams, fire teams etc, allows the players to get to know one another before we roll out. This adds to squad(player) cohesiveness and gives members time to get to know their immediate leaders and peers. Once we are out in the field and come across contact, the convoy will always be there as a place of retreat or a place or regroup after initial assault, whether successful or unsuccessful. It also serves as something to defend, besides just ourselves.

Tonight I am going to try to throw together another combat patrol at around 17:00(CST) if no other games are in progress. Everytime we go out, there is guaranteed action and organization.

These opinions are my own and I understand there are some who do not want to do Combat Patrols. As always, and as anyone who is voted server Admin, the choice is up to the player base. Period. Official events and Admin intervention not withstanding.

Feel free to post opinions about our Combat Patrols here, whether supportive or critical. The more we hear from each other, the more we can adjust to try to please everyone, though that is an unrealistic goal... I will always strive for it.

Thank you

-Dimitrius
    Last edited by Dimitrius; 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM. Reason: There is no such word as coadhesiveness...

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: Takistan Combat Patrol

Personally, I like combat patrols almost as much as I enjoy full-silenced night ops and sector's TVT's.

That being said, I never understood why you always requested SL's and FTL's to have their squads fill their vehicles with (obviously too much) supplies until now. The one problem I see with that (coming from someone who still remembers being new) is that the new guys often don't have a feel of how this pre-mobilization works, and lose their leaders and get lost in the chaos. I suggest that during this you encourage SL's and FTL's to take their squads somewhere maybe 10m away in different directions, to minimize the confusion. That was the hardest part of my learning curve, and still sometimes is an issue.

But that's just my two cents, if you don't agree I'm sure you have a great reason why :)

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Maybe we should try involving more aspects, like CAS or Armour, So far we have included mortars as fire-support (when they work).

Maybe even change the mission, some HVT capture? which would add an extra aspect of watching your fire, in case of hitting the target, and would be good practice for mortar or CAS. Can we also do less night ops? I find the night on MSO is too dark and it causes problems with NVGS IE super bright spots and super dark areas.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by Toptonic - Butler View Post
        Personally, I like combat patrols almost as much as I enjoy full-silenced night ops and sector's TVT's.

I suggest that during this you encourage SL's and FTL's to take their squads somewhere maybe 10m away in different directions, to minimize the confusion. That was the hardest part of my learning curve, and still sometimes is an issue.
        This is a good reminder for me. Even I can't keep it all organized when everyone is talking. Remind me next time we are staging to send the squads off a little ways from the staging area to prepare. Thanks for the tip, Butler.

But that's just my two cents, if you don't agree I'm sure you have a great reason why :)
        A good unit, whether commander or grunt should always be open to new idea's and philosophies on tactics or strategy. Please don't hesitate to disagree with me, just make sure it's in the right place and at the right time, as I would do for you or any other TG'r new or old.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
          Maybe we should try involving more aspects, like CAS or Armour, So far we have included mortars as fire-support (when they work).

Maybe even change the mission, some HVT capture? which would add an extra aspect of watching your fire, in case of hitting the target, and would be good practice for mortar or CAS. Can we also do less night ops? I find the night on MSO is too dark and it causes problems with NVGS IE super bright spots and super dark areas.
          I am so happy they fixed the mortar. Now we can actually use it, and Takistan is Perfect for that weapon. Cas is a good idea too, I just... well, I do not know why I haven't employed it more. Mostly because of our AT soldiers, but if we start including tanks again in the patrols, an A10 would certainly help balance the odds a bit. Last night I put 10% armor and all four of our convoy vehicles got destroyed from easily a click away. 1, 2, 3, 4 pop, pop. pop. pop. It was really frustrating.

I like night time because it gives us the opportunity to use chemlights. And they're shiny. Going forward, I'll make sure that we have a consensus on timing and won't just start the missions right before dusk. Noon is a better starting time all around, in my opinion.

Thanks Adept.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Realistically speaking, Adept has a point he isn't much aware of.

No one in their right mind would conduct a combat patrol after dark, especially not on purpose.

But that's a moot point.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

No one in their right mind would conduct a combat patrol after dark, especially not on purpose.

But that's a moot point.
              It's not a moot point if our goal is approach realism. That is very difficult, especially when we have players who are new to the game or who have not gone through training as many of us already have. There is a Lot of conditioning that a soldier must endure before he/she becomes ready for realistic immersion. FreeBird and I were just talking about that last night, as a matter of fact.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I heard there was quite the conversation. There is however only so much you can do, but still I think we should try to stick with it as much as possible.

That being said, I also believe that there is always a time to have some fun, and lean away from realism. However that's pretty much 4am with four or five overtired people who don't have the patience for a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
                  ... we have included mortars as fire-support (when they work).
                  "(when you know how to use them)"

:row__596:
                  sigpic
                  I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                    neutralize IEDs(Sometimes neutralizing the blufor engineer at the same time <.<)
                    And what are you getting at here?

Its not my fault the M2 SLAM detonated in my face last week when i was attempting to dissarm the blasted thing.
                    |TG-73rd|BloodDrops2094
                    Le Mans 24 hour race attendee - 2010

Former |TG-Irr| and |TG-18th| member and proud of each of them.

Comment

lol

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I beg to differ. Look up the words Combat Patrol, do some Google searches. You guys will find some interesting information out there, that is already open for public consumption.

However, going back to the topic. As with anything in life. One must learn to walk before running.

I get both sides of the points here, but it would help others know (who area already in the game) prior to going on a road march for 2 hours with instructions. Needs to be warned before such things occur. Some players just want to play, some players just crave "realism", some are in between. Key word here is balance.

Carry on :)

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Sounds fun :)
                          The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X