Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A gentle request for respect among the masses.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A gentle request for respect among the masses.

Friends and fellow Tactical Gamers. I post this message in response to certain discussions I have witnessed in the last few weeks. Specifically critique in game about missions from the player base to the mission editor.

Now what does that mean?

Here is the scenario: We're out on a mission on one of our maps and things go a bit haywire right at the end and we all die. The mission maker is present and is not leading the group, but one member of the group decides to make his/her frustrations known immediately and begins to brashly critique the mission in front of everybody, effectively creating a debate that could descend into bitterness rather quickly.

When I first started gaming, 14 years or so ago, there was no mission making. At least we didn't have any idea what went into it. Fast forward to today and you have things like the Mission Editor in ARMA. I recently got back into editing scene and I was reminded of just how much effort it takes to bring a mission together effectively.

Here is the bottom line, if you have a beef with a mission, communicate with the author offline, after the fact. An easily passed up reality of this game is that not only is it a catalyst for immensely captivating immersion, but also for the resulting emotional frustration that comes from not completing the mission after so much effort is put into it. My response to that, and I dole it out to myself, is "Deal with it." At least deal with it at the time the frustration sets in. Calling a mission maker out post-disaster does nothing to add to our community and serves only to humiliate and instigate. There is a time and a place for such frustrations. Private messages, TS messages, emails, even contacting an Admin to help moderate. All of these are acceptable outlets for your frustrations, but confrontation in front of the men/women is Bad Form, Plain and Simple.

I've verbally expressed my disdain towards those who use the "knockdown" function on fellow players, sometimes rather harshly, and I realize this. I just do not find it funny, we strive for excellence here and part of that excellence means we Must have a modicum of respect for one another. Part of that respect involves no friendly fire, whatsoever, and refraining from assaulting one another in any way shape or form. Its about conduct; it's about respect. That is what it means to me.

When I was new to ARMA, I had no qualms about analyzing a mission publicly and voicing my disdain verbally. I am different today because I now know how difficult it is to edit.

In college I always ended my essays with a quote, after all, impact is everything with language. So here are a few quotes to help get my message across.

"It is easier to destroy than it is to create."

"Stop standing outside, throwing rocks at the house, instead, come in and help us renovate."

These opinions are my own and in no way represent any other party.

TG for life.

-Dimitrius

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: A gentle request for respect among the masses.

Well said. I've heard this done a few times and it always looks bad on whomever is venting.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post

I've verbally expressed my disdain towards those who use the "knockdown" function on fellow players, sometimes rather harshly, and I realize this.
      Did you know? There is a module in the editor, that disables knockdown? :) Anyway, great post. I think everybody needs to read this, and take into consideration how hard others work to make missions for the community.
      sigpic

Comment

Great Post.

I was not there and i don’t know what happen but i just want to say this... Mission makers put an ENORMOUS amount of time to create content for TG. They are not paid, all volunteer who do that on their own time. Their contribution is what makes Arma 2 alive here at TG. So if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em! ;)

One more thing, personally i couldn’t care less about ‘winning’ a mission. For me its all about the simulation. This is what makes me play that game over and over again.

My two cent :)

-Rat
        sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatomik View Post
          Great Post.

I was not there and i don’t know what happen but i just want to say this... Mission makers put an ENORMOUS amount of time to create content for TG. They are not paid, all volunteer who do that on their own time. Their contribution is what makes Arma 2 alive here at TG. So if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em! ;)

One more thing, personally i couldn’t care less about ‘winning’ a mission. For me its all about the simulation. This is what makes me play that game over and over again.

-Rat
          What Rat said and well said Dimitrius. While on the subject. I'd appreciate if the players did not talk when they are dead, or at least so that the players don't hear you. It just kills the atmosphere. Or do not tell the players there is a Mechwarrior around the corner, before reaching said corner.
          As Ratatomik said, one of the reasons why some missions are fun after being played many times is not the win/lose ratio. But the time spent together in a simulated environment where everyone works together to reach a goal, together. (as astute folks, that's three togethers')

To copy Dimitrius's words:
          ...quotes to help get my message across.
          "There is no U in team.*"

*Edited for effect and giggles.

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

That reminds me, I believe that the knockdown function being disabled should be the norm for most missions. While there are some missions where it makes sense (TvT HVT/VIP scenarios, dealing with non-cooperative AI Civis, etc), there is normally no reason for the ability at all. What tends to happen is players abuse the fact that its there, or accidents happen in the interaction menu, and nothing good comes from it.
            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

There is one counter-point to my disdain.

It seems to be a fix-all for headbug issues.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatomik View Post
                ...One more thing, personally i couldn’t care less about ‘winning’ a mission. For me its all about the simulation. This is what makes me play that game over and over again.

-Rat
                I concur with this statement. If I always won, I'd of stopped playing a long time ago.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrDark View Post
                  What tends to happen is players abuse the fact that its there, or accidents happen in the interaction menu, and nothing good comes from it.
                  It's true, I knocked out LowSpeed yesterday thinking it was only a knockdown. Like a push over. But I knocked him out. I feel really really bad about it. Really not good.

Ok, so a little not so bad. I might have thought there was merit in it. But over all, I can see how it wasn't helpful. A brief moment of joy, I'll pay for in the months to come.

Truth is, why is it labeled knockdown, when it's actually KO? It's not something you would ever do to your team. Its a really odd feature. If we ever have a discipline problem of that magnitude then we have the CAA, or the PM's to the admins to deal. Why is the knockdown feature available to the same team?
                  |TG-189th| Unkl
                  ArmA 3 Game Officer
                  "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                    There is no U in team.*"
                    LOLZ!! I'm not elaborating.
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X