[DISCUSSION] Learning how to lay an M119 Howitzer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DISCUSSION] Learning how to lay an M119 Howitzer

Alright, with the recent addition of the M2A2 Aiming Circle to ACE, I've decided to embark on the path of learning how to properly lay an M119 in game. So far, I have not been able to do so, at least from my point of view. Currently, I have been using FM 6-50 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures for the Field Artillery Cannon Battery for reference. (See Chapter 4).

If anyone could help with this, that would be fantastic. So far I have been able to learn how to operate the aiming circle, but not every one of its functions & their purposes.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Re: [DISCUSSION] Learning how to lay an M119 Howitzer

Im not certain of this, but ACE artillery seems to be very much a WIP.
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatomik View Post
      It seems like most of it is there, it's just a very rough cut.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatomik View Post
        While most of it is still a bit WIP, its fully functional. I have taught courses in the past on how to USE the howitzer. I've fired it several times for practice and have been pretty accurate. (The ACE devs haven't really put any effort in documentation of the system on their Dev Heaven website).

The thing about ACE Artillery is it requires several people (no where near the same amount as required in real life, but still at least 5 people to man one gun (including the FDC), this number doesn't increase at the same rate when you add more guns, however.

What I haven't learned is how to lay the gun with the recently added aiming circle. By laying the gun, I mean setting it up in the first place (ACE does it automatically at first, but if you want to turn the gun around or move it somewhere, you have to re-lay it, and in the past this wasn't possible until they added the M2A2 Aiming Circle.)

I understand the basic process of the laying procedure, aka the Theory of it, but I do not understand what the physical steps involve.
        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

BP, I was away for work this week. I'll be on tonight and tommorow with my arty officer mate and well go through it. We got on last week but you where AFK. Probably had a few pokes from me on TS:) see you soon.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Learned a lot with Bola's friend. Will hopefully get to writing up a bit on it. Will have to do after a little bit more practicing.
            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Just learned how to lay in and use mortars, thanks to Chichco last night. Very informative. Very time consuming, and very labor intensive. You need lots of guys to run these things.
              "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
              -Einstein

Comment

FYI Guys, in a future update, the T&E method for the mortars will be disabled by default. You will have to end up using the aiming stakes in some way shape or form. I'l update this thread when I've learned more.
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...